Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 11, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #33,781 of 48,563
Just set it to 100% and don't bother with the other options. Scout mode, crystallizer, bass boost that's all just various forms of EQ made simple for people who don't know how to mess with frequencies. You mainly want to avoid EQ unless you feel like your headphone is lacking something, in which the equalizer in the software itself would be better at dialing in what the problem areas of your headphone are.

The less you go from 100% surround setting, the less soundstage and space for positional cues.

Jan 11, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #33,782 of 48,563
Is it just me or is the headphone stand on the X7 flimsy as hell and wobbly?  I really don't trust that this thing won't like fall over and throw my expensive headphones on the ground...

I think they either need a stiffer material or a better attachment mechanism maybe?

Jan 11, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #33,783 of 48,563
So I've ordered the X7 and I just have a few questions regarding connecting the microphone.

So the cable for the mic is pretty short and requires extending to connect with the X7, would I require a 4 pole or 3 pole extension cable?

Should any bluetooth usb soundcard work for chat or do I need the Creative one?

Thank you.

Jan 12, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #33,784 of 48,563
I'll be getting a X7 for console gaming soon to upgrade from my Mixamp thanks to this thread. On a different subject, can anybody recommend a somewhat portable or easy to manage (size wise) external device that has a headphone DSP so I can have surround from a tablet streaming Netflix? Portable as in around the house, not like in my back pocket strolling around town.

Jan 12, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #33,785 of 48,563
Just set it to 100% and don't bother with the other options. Scout mode, crystallizer, bass boost that's all just various forms of EQ made simple for people who don't know how to mess with frequencies. You mainly want to avoid EQ unless you feel like your headphone is lacking something, in which the equalizer in the software itself would be better at dialing in what the problem areas of your headphone are.

The less you go from 100% surround setting, the less soundstage and space for positional cues.

What about expanding dynamic range from medium to high? Do you think that setting helps any?

Jan 12, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #33,786 of 48,563
If it's something that can be unchecked, uncheck it.

I forgot, I'll have to check when I get home.

Jan 12, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #33,788 of 48,563
soooooooo, we X7 users are still not getting anything worthwhile, while the lower series get 7.1 SBX, LO/OO features etc. 

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #33,790 of 48,563
What about expanding dynamic range from medium to high? Do you think that setting helps any?

Set it to maximum. This setting should be set to less than that only if You're using ****ty headphones.

Jan 12, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #33,792 of 48,563
A few weeks ago I bought a Mixamp TR and the SHP9500s. The problem is that the Mixamp sucks all of the bass out when I turn on Dolby Headphone. I did some research and it seems to be normal, but would pairing it with another amp allow me to regain the bass that I've lost? EQ'ing may be an option, but I have no idea what I'm doing with it as I'm fairly new to this hobby. Also, for anyone who's used the X2s with the Mixamp: does the same thing happen or does it retain some of its bass due to being more bassy than the 9500 in general?

Jan 12, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #33,793 of 48,563
  A few weeks ago I bought a Mixamp TR and the SHP9500s. The problem is that the Mixamp sucks all of the bass out when I turn on Dolby Headphone. I did some research and it seems to be normal, but would pairing it with another amp allow me to regain the bass that I've lost? EQ'ing may be an option, but I have no idea what I'm doing with it as I'm fairly new to this hobby. Also, for anyone who's used the X2s with the Mixamp: does the same thing happen or does it retain some of its bass due to being more bassy than the 9500 in general?

You want to make sure you are sending a 5.1 signal to the mixamp. A lot of the bass comes from mixing the subwoofer channel into the headphone channels.

Jan 12, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #33,794 of 48,563
  You want to make sure you are sending a 5.1 signal to the mixamp. A lot of the bass comes from mixing the subwoofer channel into the headphone channels.

I don't get a loss of bass when using mixamp surround. I do get clipping with subbass cuz the mixamp sucks, but other than that it sound normal.

Jan 12, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #33,795 of 48,563
I do have my consoles feeding Dolby 5.1 to the Mixamp. I'm not sure if the 9500s are just bad with Dolby Headphone or what. My X2s should be arriving in a few days so I'll do some testing to see if there's a significant difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back