Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 11, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #33,771 of 48,578
NAyone preorder the g5? The connections look like it is coaxial digital in, not optical like the ps4 has. How do we connect the ps4 to it?

No coaxial, the G5 has the same optical connection as the Mixamp/Recon3D

it is optical, You're gonna need this adaptor : 

It's called a mini-toslink. Still optical, but it's narrow enough to allow a port to handle both optical and 3.5mm headphone jacks.

The above adapter is toslink to mini-toslink. You probably don't need it because (as Lenroot said) there is one included with the G5, unless you need an even longer one.

The G5 has a settings/control app for Android and iOS, yes, but it's a different one from the one designed for the X7. The X7 itself doesn't run android, just a custom built-in OS to make all the connections and audio settings work.

Jan 11, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #33,772 of 48,578

I just want to correct this. That connection is different than on the mixamp, but same as the Recon3D.

Jan 11, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #33,773 of 48,578
Thanks, I already have the right connect as I use the 2015 mixamp currently.

It's called a mini-toslink. Still optical, but it's narrow enough to allow a port to handle both optical and 3.5mm headphone jacks.

The above adapter is toslink to mini-toslink. You probably don't need it because (as Lenroot said) there is one included with the G5, unless you need an even longer one.

The G5 has a settings/control app for Android and iOS, yes, but it's a different one from the one designed for the X7. The X7 itself doesn't run android, just a custom built-in OS to make all the connections and audio settings work.

I just want to correct this. That connection is different than on the mixamp, but same as the Recon3D.

So, we're referring to a SPDIF cable - optical out from source, 3.5mm to the E5/G5?

Jan 11, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #33,776 of 48,578
Is it true that if I have an astro mix amp, a fiio e9 DAC, and AKG 702 that I should not turn on Dolby 5.1 on the mix amp?  I think I am noticing a huge difference in the quality of the stage without the 5.1 on.

Jan 11, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #33,777 of 48,578
  Is it true that if I have an astro mix amp, a fiio e9 DAC, and AKG 702 that I should not turn on Dolby 5.1 on the mix amp?  I think I am noticing a huge difference in the quality of the stage without the 5.1 on.

What you're probably hearing is two-channel stereo instead of 5-channel Dolby. You may prefer it for gaming, but that's a little odd. If you want surround sound, you want Dolby 5.1 turned on. 

Jan 11, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #33,779 of 48,578
Is there general agreement on surround settings that work well?

In my limited experience (AKG K7XX, Fidelio X2, Beyerdynamic T70, HIFIMAN HE-400i), it is highly dependent on the headphone you're using and the type of game you're playing. 

There are some pre-sets, called "profiles." I like to start with them, and tweak the sound as necessary. For warmer headphones, Scout Mode is very cool - it works like a charm with the X2. With the T70s, I used "First Person Shooter" mode, and it was literally painful. I fully expected my ears to bleed from the experience. I was fiddling with the HE-400is, and I couldn't get it to sound right. 

After almost a year with it, I'm finally getting a handle on the sound I want for a given type of game. 

Jan 11, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #33,780 of 48,578
In my limited experience (AKG K7XX, Fidelio X2, Beyerdynamic T70, HIFIMAN HE-400i), it is highly dependent on the headphone you're using and the type of game you're playing. 

There are some pre-sets, called "profiles." I like to start with them, and tweak the sound as necessary. For warmer headphones, Scout Mode is very cool - it works like a charm with the X2. With the T70s, I used "First Person Shooter" mode, and it was literally painful. I fully expected my ears to bleed from the experience. I was fiddling with the HE-400is, and I couldn't get it to sound right. 

After almost a year with it, I'm finally getting a handle on the sound I want for a given type of game. 

Thanks dude. Isn't there s percent setting for the dsp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back