Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 16, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #33,421 of 48,566
Heeey,

I just got into the headphone world with my X2s and im looking for compatibility with my ps4, but i also want to be able to use whatever i get for the ps4 on my laptop so i can eliminate the background hiss and not so optimal clarity and SQ from my crappy laptop.

Right now im opting to buy the mixamp pro 2015 and see how it sounds with my X2 and later decide if i need an amp.
Is the mixamp pro 2015 edition just as hissy as the 2013 version? and how does the TR compare?

My main purpose is gaming/movies(netflix) on ps4 and then music/movies on pc. My next question is: is the dolby processing from the mixamp a benefit(i know it is in games thats why i dont ask) in movies (with an extra amp attached)? Or would a magni/modi combo be just as immersive if i plug these in my ps4? Would i even be able to plug a modi into my ps4?

if the magni and modi are just as immersive, would a schiit fulla or any other usb amp/dac for budgetary reasons also be good option to plug into the ps4 and PC? And how would this sound compared to mixamp + amp on ps4?

Is the mixamp pro 2015 a reasonable DAC to be used in conjuction with a magni for PC?
Right now im hearing background hiss and a not so clear sound with the X2 directly connected to my crappy laptop. So would that atleast be eliminated with the mixamp 2015?

Sorry for all these questions. I only have around 200 euros for these devices, so i cant get them all and i need to see whats best for my usage. So i have to make a choice between:

mixamp + any amp
schiit stack (or any other)
USB amp/dac

Keep in mind that I primarily use the ps4, but i also want to be able to use on the laptop if i want to listen to some music and an occasional film. But movies and gaming on ps4 are the most important.

If the dolby processing is not worth it then i would really lean towards a cheap USB amp/dac.

Help would be much appreciated :)

Dec 16, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #33,422 of 48,566
For details and soundwhoring, would the AKG Q701 be better than the Audio-Technica AD900X? I'm curious, as people would think I'm crazy if I buy the Sennheiser HD800. So I'm looking cheaper.

I already own the Audio-Technica AD900X, so would it even be worth upgrading?

Dec 16, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #33,423 of 48,566
I wouldn't recommend the HD800 for gaming as well because headphones only live once, not twice or more. the AKG cans are said to have the widest soundstage and imaging after HD800. be aware though that the bumps on Q701's headband is a comfort issue, I think you are better off buying a K7XX off massdrop if it is posted on their website again.

Dec 16, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #33,424 of 48,566
That Denon D7000 bass is also implanted in his memory... but obviously the HE400 is much lower priced!

Don't forget, I don't wanna deal with those pads. The HE-400 pairs up well with the 1540 pads or velours. Also, I really, really just want the planar sound. It's the HE400 or vegan non-fazor LCD2, which is a bit out of my price range these days.

Dec 16, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #33,425 of 48,566
If the 400 is already bright up top with its stock pads, wouldn't it make them somewhat ear piercing with velours? The alcantaras, on the other hand, yeah they should pair very well... might even take the treble slightly, I would believe.

Dec 16, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #33,426 of 48,566
If the 400 is already bright up top with its stock pads, wouldn't it make them somewhat ear piercing with velours? The alcantaras, on the other hand, yeah they should pair very well... might even take the treble slightly, I would believe.

The velours on the HE-400 are interesting, because while it makes the HE-400 airier and slightly brighter, it has less peaks in the treble, and brings up the upper midrange scoop that is problematic with the pleathers. Bringing up the upper mids, and having less upper peaks makes it a better headphone overall. The pleathers make the He-400 oddly dark, but with that massive peakiness in the treble, so it's hard to adjust to when the headphone sounds both dark and bright. At least with the velours, your ears expect a brighter sound, so it's not as jarring.

The changes were documented on that 'other' forum that no longer exists.

The Alcantaras sounded like a bridge between the pleather and velour, which was fine to me, and the comfiest.

Dec 16, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #33,427 of 48,566

Top is pleather

Bottom is velour

As you can see, the mids were elevated, and 10khz and under were evened out. Anything above 10khz to me is pretty inconsequential and never an issue. It's 5khz through 10khz that can destroy ears if they're too elevated. The Upper range is a bit bright on the HE-400, which is still it's main issue, but it does everything else so well, the pros outweigh it's cons for me.

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #33,429 of 48,566
noobie question...

so i picked up one of those neweer lapel clip-on mics mentioned in the OP.

my current setup is X2s -> DSS1 connected to PS4 via usb for power and optical for audio.

what do i need  if i want to be able to plug the neweer mic directly into the DS4 and use it for chat in lieu of the mono earbud that came with the ps4? or is that type of setup not possible? i tried it as is but it won't detect the neweer mic as an input device.

Dec 17, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #33,430 of 48,566
It's 5khz through 10khz that can destroy ears if they're too elevated.

Did anyone else go into their EQ and knock these sliders down a few notches after reading this?
biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #33,431 of 48,566
I can only HIGHLY recommend attending a head-fi meet. Canjam, homebrew, something in-between sponsored by a store, it's all good! Sampling a big breadth of headphones and related gear has an interesting effect... You'd think it would make you want to immediately jump to an HE-1000 or LCD4, drop a couple thousand on some TOTL gear, but instead you really zero in on your preferences, and perhaps have an easier time deciding that you would still be just as happy with something more moderately priced.

That said, I do really want a Mr. Speakers Ether... and that's a flagship & +$1000, but I'd probably still be happy with a PM-2, HE-400i (didn't get to spend enough time with this), or even something from 1964 Ears (sounded so good, even the cheapest universal!!). The HD800 was very good and surprised me how even it was, but it was lightly modded, and when I heard the Ether later I heard more of what I personally wanted. I'd still take an HD800, it gave me chills and shocked me how good it was and fun to listen to, but it still doesn't sound like speakers located several feet away... That kind of soundstage doesn't matter as much to me anymore, as much as imaging (being able to tell where things are placed), crisp separation where I can hear every instrument played, and still being engaging and fun.

No meets in Poland though :frowning2:

Dec 17, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #33,432 of 48,566
noobie question...

so i picked up one of those neweer lapel clip-on mics mentioned in the OP.

my current setup is X2s -> DSS1 connected to PS4 via usb for power and optical for audio.

what do i need  if i want to be able to plug the neweer mic directly into the DS4 and use it for chat in lieu of the mono earbud that came with the ps4? or is that type of setup not possible? i tried it as is but it won't detect the neweer mic as an input device.

Sure!
The plug on the DS4 has a TRRS pinout (like a smartphone headset), while the Neweer Mics are TRS. What you need is a splitter, TRRS to mic and headphone. The brand I found at a pretty cheap price was called startech.com

If you want to hear what others say back to you, you'll also want a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable to connect the headphone jack on the splitter to the aux input on the DSS...

Though it's been awhile, I think there was some trouble doing that? I forget if the DSS' aux input is still free when using optical, so you might need to patch in chat audio with another Y-Splitter...

The lapel mic was the choice chat solution with Xbox 360, because you could get a cheap controller adapter and use Xbox settings to manually set the chat audio to go out through "speakers" (aka optical). With the current gen (ps4 & XBO), those settings are all automatic so we can't work them that way. I eventually figured "PS4 works with USB Mics? What can I find on eBay... Blue Snowball for $30? DONE DEAL!" Fixed all my chat problems, because with a mic-only USB input the PS4 will route chat through speakers.

Dec 17, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #33,434 of 48,566
Looking for the best all around headphone for gaming ( with low end a bit a least )

Arma 3 battlefield counter all of those game Insurgency too... So soundstage is vital..

Being looking at the Superlux HD668B With the vmoda mic and a female to female adapter.

They are 65$ in canada

Any idea or experience with those headphone?

Thank you

Dec 17, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #33,435 of 48,566
Sure!
The plug on the DS4 has a TRRS pinout (like a smartphone headset), while the Neweer Mics are TRS. What you need is a splitter, TRRS to mic and headphone. The brand I found at a pretty cheap price was called startech.com

If you want to hear what others say back to you, you'll also want a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable to connect the headphone jack on the splitter to the aux input on the DSS...

Though it's been awhile, I think there was some trouble doing that? I forget if the DSS' aux input is still free when using optical, so you might need to patch in chat audio with another Y-Splitter...

The lapel mic was the choice chat solution with Xbox 360, because you could get a cheap controller adapter and use Xbox settings to manually set the chat audio to go out through "speakers" (aka optical). With the current gen (ps4 & XBO), those settings are all automatic so we can't work them that way. I eventually figured "PS4 works with USB Mics? What can I find on eBay... Blue Snowball for $30? DONE DEAL!" Fixed all my chat problems, because with a mic-only USB input the PS4 will route chat through speakers.

ah...thanks. that sounds like a lot more cabling than i thought would be initially required :frowning2:

i think the ps4 mono earbud will have to do for now. generally speaking, the mic quality is pretty much going to be the same for the majority of these earbud/iems that have mics yea?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back