Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 30, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #33,122 of 48,579
Trust, I already feel like I have too many headphones, but if I do get the THX00 my intention is to sell all my other full size cans. That'll leave me with just the fostex and my sony h3 iems, which is all I really need.

I mean, I'm happy with what I already have, but if the THX00 is better than the 1540, and at that price, why the hell not, right? I might end up keeping the K267 as beaters for gaming and on the go, though. I use them more than anything else I have since they arrived. The 1540 and K7XX will be dearly missed, but I just don't have the time, nowadays, for critical listenting to enjoy their different sound signatures. Heck, they've been in the closet inside their respective boxes for a while because they were gathering dust on display, not being used.

One mid-fi, one beater, and one pair of IEMs is my comfort zone. But, I don't know what the hell I'm going to do, yet. I'm just intrigued and considering my options, for now. I'll enter summit-fi, one day, but that won't be for a long time.

Nov 30, 2015 at 6:07 AM Post #33,123 of 48,579
Feggy, you sold all your top gear for an HD650 only?

Yes. I work 6 days a week since almost a year and simply didn't have enough time for two delicate cans so I made a strong cut and sold both for 2,k together, kind of a reset. Upgraded my Home Cinema (a bit) instead. I'll be getting a DAC next year and then I'll check out the market maybe a year later to see what happens. HD800S would be my perfect headphone actually but for now I don't want to pay any sum like that, especially for useless idea of two cables. Hard to bargain with my favorite dealer when he simply can't offer a single cable version. (usually his prices are very friendly).

However the HD 650 is ******* amazing with the X7 Direct Mode+Valhalla 2. I miss soundstage and the HD800's bass for games and movies but other than that the details, dynamics and tonality is spot on. Look at its price. It makes so many headphones simply blush. If the HD800S does have the same/similar treble response then it's the perfect headphone (Grell also said the bass extension is better) for me. 

Quote:
Trust, I already feel like I have too many headphones, but if I do get the THX00 my intention is to sell all my other full size cans. That'll leave me with just the fostex and my sony h3 iems, which is all I really need.

I mean, I'm happy with what I already have, but if the THX00 is better than the 1540, and at that price, why the hell not, right? I might end up keeping the K267 as beaters for gaming and on the go, though. I use them more than anything else I have since they arrived. The 1540 and K7XX will be dearly missed, but I just don't have the time, nowadays, for critical listenting to enjoy their different sound signatures. Heck, they've been in the closet inside their respective boxes for a while because they were gathering dust on display, not being used.

One mid-fi, one beater, and one pair of IEMs is my comfort zone. But, I don't know what the hell I'm going to do, yet. I'm just intrigued and considering my options, for now. I'll enter summit-fi, one day, but that won't be for a long time.

Then definitely go for it. From the measurements alone it's better than your Shure and K267. Knowing the Fostex Bass, cleanness and low distortion + soundstage you can indeed replace ALL your headphones and stick with H3+ThX00

Nov 30, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #33,125 of 48,579
The one thing though, is that it seems the X00 has less bass than the 600/900. Not sure I'd like that. What the 600/900 needed was less treble and 5/6khz peak, not less bass.

Nov 30, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #33,126 of 48,579
May not be too far off from the 1540, then, but more refined? A review says they can still satisfy bassheads, and I'm just borderline (as said many times, before), so I should be good.

Either way, I'll be comparing the two (side by side) before making any final decisions. The 1540 (with alpha pads) has been my top for two years, now, so this should be interesting. I also have an extra pair of alpha pads to try on the THX00 to hopefully bring it back toward its brethren form. I read its stock pads are much the reason for its different tuning than the 600/900, since they are less roomy and more fluffy.

I will also have to look into some recabling and a detachable mod once I know for sure they will be keepers. That stock cable is waaaay to long for my needs.

Nov 30, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #33,127 of 48,579
The one thing though, is that it seems the X00 has less bass than the 600/900. Not sure I'd like that. What the 600/900 needed was less treble and 5/6khz peak, not less bass.

I was concerned about the bass too, but I'm a little less worried now. Here's my thinking on it: I read about the estimated changes to those frequency areas and looked for a similar graph comparison. It aligned almost perfectly with the D7000. Now who knows if it will be better, worse or equal (and how accurate those estimates were), but I'm a lot more optimistic now.

Nov 30, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #33,128 of 48,579
I was concerned about the bass too, but I'm a little less worried now. Here's my thinking on it: I read about the estimated changes to those frequency areas and looked for a similar graph comparison. It aligned almost perfectly with the D7000. Now who knows if it will be better, worse or equal (and how accurate those estimates were), but I'm a lot more optimistic now.

I am also hopeful. Trust when I say I loves muh' bass.

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #33,129 of 48,579

Problem there being that the D7000 graphs aren't indicative of it's bass. The graphs would lead you to believe the D7000 has less bass than the TH900 and TH600. Definitely far from the truth. At it's best, the TH900 sort of sounds like the D7000 in terms of bass potency. Normally, it's considerably less bassy to my ears due to just how controlled it is. The decay is too fast, so it ends up sounding more polite in general. Never mind the TH600 which is even less.

I'm not saying the X00 won't be bassy. It's a Fostex. There is always an expectation from the way it presents it's bass. I'm just saying that it's probably gonna knock it back even more than the other models, which to me is a negative/. Yes, more mids is a good thing, but for these headphones, the bass is their best aspect, so even less of it doesn't appeal to me. Me, personally, I'd like a level of bass between the TH900 and D7000, as the TH900 is too controlled, and the D7000 can be a bit sluggish. In between would be perfect.

Again, personal taste. I'm sure the X00 is gonna be one hell of a winner overall. Just... wishing they went back towards the D7000 side of things.

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #33,131 of 48,579
I can and will be taking advantage of sales on Dualshock 4 controllers going on now at GameStop, Walmart, and Newegg for $40.

FWIW, Amazon has them for $39.  Save a $1 and no tax with free shipping! 
biggrin.gif

http://www.amazon.com/DualShock-Wireless-Controller-PlayStation-Black-4/dp/B00BGA9X9W/

Nov 30, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #33,132 of 48,579
Feggy, you are a genius for the idea. I have decided to sell off anything that isn't and won't be getting much use, no matter how attached I am. That basically means almost everything (1540, K7XX, K267, C5). It's nice having different options but, when it just sits there being unused, there is no reason for me to keep them around. I will feel a sense of relief knowing someone else is enjoying them, rather than collecting dust in my possession. I'll probably even be selling a PS4 I recently had replaced by Sony (still with one year left on warranty), along with a couple games.

I will definitely be content with just the TH-X00 and H3 until I start saving for summit-fi in the distant future. I'd have been happy with just the 1540 and such, but I was always stuck on wanting variety, not realizing I don't have enough heads and ears for all of that.

Nov 30, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #33,133 of 48,579
Hello, I don't know much about headphones, but I use to use sennheiser 350s with an astro mixamp to play on the xbox 360. My 350s broke a while ago and i wasn't really playing much, but I just got a pair of game zeros and i'm trying to figure out how to get the microphone to work on xbox one. I updated the controller and i have the stereo headset adapter.I have my game zeros plugged in to a y splitter into the headset port on my mixamp. I tried plugging a cord into the stereo headset adapter and plug the other end into the controller port on my mixamp but it doesn't work. Can someone tell me what cords I need and where to plug them to get the microphone working on xbox one? (I also realize these headphones should be used with an amp and ill probably get one in the future).

Nov 30, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #33,134 of 48,579
I had fun watching the first two Hobbit movies, but the last one was such a self-indulgent cash-grab that seeing it in theaters turned a series I loved into a movie I actively warned people to save their money and stay away from. Don't want to encourage Hollywood to make more of the same... All special effects to stretch out the last 80 pages of a book for three hours. Instead of an "extended" edition, they need a shortended edition without the drawn-out fluff.

Still, despite the second movie ending on a bit of a cliffhanger, I might pick it up some day. Is the extended version worth it?

I was originally quite negative about the Hobbit movies, then I read about what Peter Jackson had to go through to actually get them shot and released. It's honestly a miracle they're as good as they are, he deserves a medal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back