Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 11, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #32,462 of 48,565
Thanks for the info! I nearly grabbed an SB E5 as a Dac/amp upgrade to my phone's audio, but I got a KILLER DEAL on a used Oppo HA-2 from a fellow Headfier for less than the E5's street price. The Oppo HA-2 is said to share the same DAC as the well-regarded Oppo HA, which goes for $1200. I'm happy with the purchase.

Based on what you're saying, I have no intention of gaming on anything other than a Soundblaster product. Unless Oppo made an X7 competitor, that is.

Dude, lucky!!! I like some of Oppo's stuff more than others, but uniformly they make great gear of high value.

I don't think Oppo and Creative are playing in the same audio niches (gaming vs high-end), though there is some overlap near the middle. I personally don't see a reason they couldn't come out with some awesome collaboration, but that would be up to the companies.

At any rate, I'd be curious to A/B some surround gaming coming straight out of an E5/X7 versus a Creative DSP connected digitally to an Oppo DAC/Amp (at this point, that would be PC surround gaming), but a long chain like that usually ends up not being a long-term solution.

The PLYR has to be using at least that much, there aren't any noticeable compression artifacts. I'm not even convinced it's not lossless because it sounds that good.

Well, instead of Bluetooth, the high-end Sennheisers as well as the (cheaper DAC/Amp/and driver) Astro and Skullcandy gaming headsets and Mixamp 5.8 use radio frequency transmission, 2.4 gHz or 5gHz RF like in the older cordless house phones. That has more bandwidth than Bluetooth, but sometimes your microwave or possibly your wifi could interfere. Range, interference/crowded bandwidth, quality, battery efficiency... All these factors are balanced and balanced differently between each wireless tech.

Oct 11, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #32,463 of 48,565
Well, instead of Bluetooth, the high-end Sennheisers as well as the (cheaper DAC/Amp/and driver) Astro and Skullcandy gaming headsets and Mixamp 5.8 use radio frequency transmission, 2.4 gHz or 5gHz RF like in the older cordless house phones. That has more bandwidth than Bluetooth, but sometimes your microwave or possibly your wifi could interfere. Range, interference/crowded bandwidth, quality, battery efficiency... All these factors are balanced and balanced differently between each wireless tech.

Well I know they're using 2.4ghz, same band as wifi and bluetooth. The lowest wireless-N stream is like 65mbps and uncompressed 16/44 is what, like 1.4mbps? I mean it's just a trivial amount of bandwidth for modern wireless connections, I find it real hard to believe they still need to compress it.   

Oct 11, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #32,464 of 48,565
Coming from mainly destiny the gunplay in star wars is really frustrating. I like their maps though...

It was frustrating for me in the beginning....well it still is since trying to set the sensitivity for my mouse is kind of difficult (I'm playing on PC) and I can agree that sometimes the gun play is a bit too linear and feels more closely to a 2D shooter lol. But this is a beta and I am sure they will bring in many more fixes once its release and after its been released. I got use the the gun play after a while, especially since Im so use to BF4's gun play.

I play competitively some times and when I do, I get the hang of the controls quite faster. My bro is the same way and figures out the best way to play. Heck, he taught me a things or two about certain abilities to do depending in the situation you are found in :p.

I didnt expect anything else than just a casual game from this and is quite different from BF4 but SWBF does lack something and I am not quite sure what it is. I dont see myself playing this game everyday and might be more of a once or twice a week kind of game. Compared to the original Battlefront series, it was more fun to play those than this new Battlefront game.

Anyways, here is a quick clip of me doing a headshot, no scope while he is mid air lol

its towards the end of the clip of course....

Oct 12, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #32,465 of 48,565

Cycler Rifle double-tapping for the win.

Oct 12, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #32,467 of 48,565
Hey guys,

I have the opportunity to buy a Astro Mixamp Pro 2012 for about 20 € which is in a technically proper condition.
What do you think - are there any complaints to make about it? Or should I simply get it?
I want to use it for gaming first and sometimes maybe also for listening music. But most of the time I only listen to music via my 5.1 speakers.
Just got offered a pair of Sennheiser HD595 for about 45 € in addition to the mixamp. Both used but good condition. Seems the guy sells his old gaming gear. :) What do you think about the deal. Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance.
Greetings,
Eddga

Oct 12, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #32,468 of 48,565
Does anyone here know how to configure the xonar dgx for good positinional audio mainly for cs:go?

All I have is this(xonar settings):
http://imgur.com/jUong3V
http://imgur.com/RdzSWGv

Which I tweaked form time to time, but I'm not really sure if this right.

All I have is a short part of lvlcaps video where I don't know where he got his informations on:
https://youtu.be/yVme7rxdTLk?t=3m5s

Oct 12, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #32,469 of 48,565
  Hey guys,

Is it worth it?

Definitely worth it.

That setup would be 80-90% of any of the options on the front page.

The 595's are maybe not extra cheap, but that bundle would be a perfect starting (or even ending) setup

Oct 12, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #32,470 of 48,565
I'd buy that without a second thought. Wish I still had a Mixamp.

Oct 13, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #32,472 of 48,565
Double tapping? Care to explain?

At one point I was with that same score in the first 5 min of a game. Too easy lol

Double tapping is a sniper technique used in games where the sniper rifle does not kill in one shot to the body. Basically You shoot the guy with a sniper rifle, quickly change weapons to a spam-fire low-accuracy weapon (such as a PDW or a high RPM pistol) and spam in the general direction of the enemy You just shot. Works like a charm in Battlefront due to the fact that all automatic weapons have the same base spread regardless of player's position. It's widely used in Battlefield as most snipers do not kill with one shot to the body past certain distance.
  Does anyone here know how to configure the xonar dgx for good positinional audio mainly for cs:go?

All I have is this(xonar settings):
http://imgur.com/jUong3V
http://imgur.com/RdzSWGv

Which I tweaked form time to time, but I'm not really sure if this right.

All I have is a short part of lvlcaps video where I don't know where he got his informations on:
https://youtu.be/yVme7rxdTLk?t=3m5s

CS:GO is one of the only games that actually sound better on Creative cards (on those that support ALchemy, at least) so You kinda shot yourself in the foot with that DGX. On the first screenshot:
  1. Enable Dolby Headphone
  2. Switch DH mode to DH2
  3. Enable Virtual Speaker Shifter and set the speakers as far away from each other as possible.

Oct 13, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #32,473 of 48,565
No news on Turtle Beach's version of a mix amp? I forgot the name of their device but we've only seen the prototype. 
At least we have the Sound Blaster G5 to look forward to. Still, with Battlefront it would be nice to have an option that
virtualizes the height channels. I can only imagine how Battlefront would sound in Dolby Atmos. I saw the Martian in a 
Dolby Cinema and it was amazing. 

Oct 13, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #32,474 of 48,565
  CS:GO is one of the only games that actually sound better on Creative cards (on those that support ALchemy, at least) so You kinda shot yourself in the foot with that DGX. On the first screenshot:
  1. Enable Dolby Headphone
  2. Switch DH mode to DH2
  3. Enable Virtual Speaker Shifter and set the speakers as far away from each other as possible.

Thank you for your advice. I mean really :)

So set it up like you told it and trying to do some matches now. 
So wich creative card would you recommend for me then(for cs:go mainly),
should I change at the effects tab the surroundnoise from "M" to "S" or keep it
and would chaniging from headphones to FP headhpnes/2 FP headhpnes benefit me in any way?

Oct 13, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #32,475 of 48,565

Thank you for your advice. I mean really :)

So set it up like you told it and trying to do some matches now. 
So wich creative card would you recommend for me then(for cs:go mainly),
should I change at the effects tab the surroundnoise from "M" to "S" or keep it
and would chaniging from headphones to FP headhpnes/2 FP headhpnes benefit me in any way?

Any card that supports Creative Alchemy will be fine.

As for the other settings in the panelm just try experimenting with them until You're happy with the effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back