Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 14, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #32,131 of 48,581
  Is there a consensus on which ModMic is "better"?  Omnidirectional or unidirectional.  It seems like unidirectional would reduce echoes and whatever.

Also, what are people's experiences with dealing with the extra cable from using a ModMic?  I have a couple headphones that I'd like to use as headsets, but I'm also concerned about the inconvenience because I imagine 90% of my headset usage is just so I can chat with people while playing Street Fighter (ie, in-game sounds don't even matter).  So I'm considering just getting some $50 wireless headset instead of the ModMic just so I can have something decent for chatting and convenient enough that I'd actually use it.  Have some people just found the inconvenience of dealing with the extra cable from the ModMic a deterrent?

As long as the headphones have removable cable You're set. Just tie them up together. This is how it looks like with my HD598.

Sep 15, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #32,132 of 48,581
Well, just joined the K267 Tiesto drop. Still in the market for some beaters, and since these are somewhat of AKG's version of the Beyer COP... I figured why not (especially at $125). Just hope the build quality issues have been sorted out with the later models. Pad swapping looks simple, also, in case I opt for some velours.

Sep 16, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #32,133 of 48,581
  Well, just joined the K267 Tiesto drop. Still in the market for some beaters, and since these are somewhat of AKG's version of the Beyer COP... I figured why not (especially at $125). Just hope the build quality issues have been sorted out with the later models. Pad swapping looks simple, also, in case I opt for some velours.

If you read on the comments section, it is said that the ones in the drop are the revised version, so built quality issues you should be good to go though I would still be careful with them.

I was thinking about them but I was like, "I got an M50 and a pair of COPs, do I need this AKG?" answer would be NO. From what some few have said, the K267 have a similarity to the M50 but the K267 seem to focus a bit more on the mids and lows though the highs aren't sacrificed as much. Someone also said that they prefer their sound more compared to the Vmoda M100.

Plus you have three options for different sound, similar to the COP which has 4, which mainly focuses on the low end or bass.

Honestly, the K267 look very comfortable, even with those pleather pads and look to seal really well. Need to mention they collapse better than the M50 and arent as huge. I bet they sound better than your typical Dre Beats at the similar price range.

But from reading about the sound signature, if you already have the M50 or the COP, Id probably just skip them and save yourself some money. If not, Im sure you will love them. Of course, comments and reading about the sound is subjective but having both the M50 and COP, I would need to sell one of them in order to have the K267.....or I can just go ahead and purchase them simply because they are Tiesto and AKG headphones lol

Sep 16, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #32,135 of 48,581
Just received my akg q701...
I'm playing cod with the mixamp only. And the sound is totally fine.
In fact is too loud for me.
Is a amp really necessary?

It's not necessary, but it will sound better with a good amp or a creative X7. I have the AKG K7XX, which is quite similar to the Q701. It sounded good with the Mixamp, but the X7 lets it shine.

It ultimately depends on your preferred sound signature and frame of reference, really.

Contrary to popular belief, amplification isn't just for volume. A good amp unlocks a headphone's dynamics, clarity, and soundstage, all important parts of the gaming audio equation.

Sep 16, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #32,136 of 48,581
So I'm at the point where I'm about to push place order on amazon for a bunch of different audio components and just to make sure I'm doing the right thing I want to run it by you guys especially mad lust envy. So I mostly he on the xbone and I'm still on the fence about getting an x7. I keep switching between that and a mix amp pro probably the one coming out next month with a magni2 uber then possibly a modi 2 uber down the line. Akg q701 a vmoda mic and some psb m4u1s for when closed back is necessary even though I couldn't find anything on their gaming performance. The magni mixamp and modi all together are about the same price or more than just getting an x7 and if the g5 was out now all of my problems would be solved. Should I wait for the g5 get an x7 or go for the schiit stack with a mixamp? Anything else I should consider before making this investment? Thanks for all of the info this forum has provided so far it really pointed me in the right direction.

Sep 16, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #32,137 of 48,581
So I'm at the point where I'm about to push place order on amazon for a bunch of different audio components and just to make sure I'm doing the right thing I want to run it by you guys especially mad lust envy. So I mostly he on the xbone and I'm still on the fence about getting an x7. I keep switching between that and a mix amp pro probably the one coming out next month with a magni2 uber then possibly a modi 2 uber down the line. Akg q701 a vmoda mic and some psb m4u1s for when closed back is necessary even though I couldn't find anything on their gaming performance. The magni mixamp and modi all together are about the same price or more than just getting an x7 and if the g5 was out now all of my problems would be solved. Should I wait for the g5 get an x7 or go for the schiit stack with a mixamp? Anything else I should consider before making this investment? Thanks for all of the info this forum has provided so far it really pointed me in the right direction.

Your Q701s will need an adapter to work with the Vmoda cable, and I don't believe it's readily available. For the rest, I'll defer to the experts.

Sep 16, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #32,138 of 48,581
Oh, hey. After almost a year of hemming and hawing, I finally ordered a Philips Fidelio X2. If I love it, I'll keep it and sell my AKG K7XX. Or maybe I'll keep both. We'll see.

With my wife working all weekend, looks like I have a date with Geralt of Rivia (Witcher 3), which is less creepy than it sounds.

Sep 17, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #32,139 of 48,581

Just a suggestion but....

Are you patient enough to wait for BF? If yes, I would just wait a bit longer for any good deals that may come up though no guarantee on that. Use camelcamelcamel.com to check prices on Amazon and I think slick deals has their own price tracker as well.

Just putting this out there if you are on a budget and are trying to save some money.

Sep 17, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #32,140 of 48,581
Oh, hey. After almost a year of hemming and hawing, I finally ordered a Philips Fidelio X2. If I love it, I'll keep it and sell my AKG K7XX. Or maybe I'll keep both. We'll see.

With my wife working all weekend, looks like I have a date with Geralt of Rivia (Witcher 3), which is less creepy than it sounds.

Two words: Yennefer's unicorn.

Sep 17, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #32,142 of 48,581
For the people that have x7...
Is that much better than ASTRO mixamp pro?
In terms of surrounding?
I'm gonna buy a magni 2 to connect to mixamp pro and akg q701.
But I'm seeing many people talking about the x7

As Evshrug's review stated its like taking cotton balls out of your ears. I fully agree with this... There is much more clarity to all sounds. You also have a full suite of options to customize your experience too. That said it's a good chunk of change.

Sep 17, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #32,143 of 48,581
yes, the X7 is clearly superior. 

Sep 17, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #32,145 of 48,581
hey guys im looking for some new headphones and id like your opinion on these headphones.https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/157887895/trinity-vario-headphones
REally inteststed in them due to the build quality and the the fact it comes with 3 earpad sets(pleather,pleather deep,velour deep,)with a possible 4th memory foam set. I got the early bird bid in so i only have to pay $192(retail is $380).Only thing im worried about is how good these will be for gaming.Heres a first impressions for one of the guys beta testing them.http://www.head-fi.org/t/780221/trinity-audio-engineering-prepare-to-launch-new-vario-switchable-open-and-closed-back-full-size-headphone/135#post_11924574
Should i keep my early bird bid and risk being disapointed with these for gaming or should i keep them? Ive only ever used the razer cacharias and sibera v2 so its prob not that hard for me to be impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back