Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 9, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #32,071 of 48,583
attn Mad Lust Envy:

What should I pair my Fidelio X2 with, out of the following dac/amps? I plan to connect to my PC and PS4 (via optical).

-Schiit Magni 2+Modi 2 Uber ($250)
-Creative Sound Blaster E5/G5 ($200)
-Aune X1S ($250)
-Leckerton UHA-6S Mk II ($290)

If you want Virtual Surround Sound, go with the G5 (which has not releaed yet but will be in November) which uses SBX. If no surround sound emulation is needed, I would say a Schiit Stack 2 would be a very solid choice.

Edit: Says here $150
Also, I read the G5 may be cheaper than $200, at around $150 or maybe less, depending if you get the coupon if you sign up on the Sound Blaster X website.

I cant speak about the other DAC/Amps since I have not read about them other than the 2 i have mentioned.

Sep 9, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #32,072 of 48,583
Conq, I'm assuming you liked the 400S over the 400i? Can't remember if you mentioned this, already, so apologies if so.

Yes I do. I find the treble smoother for one and the midrange slightly less forward.

Sep 10, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #32,073 of 48,583
attn Mad Lust Envy:

What should I pair my Fidelio X2 with, out of the following dac/amps? I plan to connect to my PC and PS4 (via optical).

-Schiit Magni 2+Modi 2 Uber ($250)
-Creative Sound Blaster E5/G5 ($200)
-Aune X1S ($250)
-Leckerton UHA-6S Mk II ($290)

Which ever one has virtual surround. So I assume the G5. It could be a $1 million dollar dac/amp that has no surround vs a $30 device with virtual surround, and I'd choose the latter every single time.

Sep 10, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #32,074 of 48,583
Is anyone in here a DEDICATED HARD L/R PANNING STEREO GAMER AT HEART? 

Sep 10, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #32,075 of 48,583
  Is anyone in here a DEDICATED HARD L/R PANNING STEREO GAMER AT HEART? 

Yup. I used to own the Asus Xonar Essence STX and the Creative X-Fi Titanium HD (to see whether I preferred Dolby Headphone or CMSS-3D).

CMSS-3D was AMAZING for certain games that supported it natively, or through Alchemy (whatever it was called). CS: Source set up correctly literally had perfect 3D sound placement. But no other game I tried would work properly with CMSS-3D. Sure the surround effect was there, but it was never applied exactly as intended, it just worked like Dolby Headphone where a fake reverb was added to make it seem like the sounds were more "out of your head".

Now I just use a good quality DAC, a good quality amp and good quality headphones, and I feel like stereo provides excellent sound placement. HD800's from the GMB and Valhalla 2 provided the most realistic in-game audio I've ever heard from a game... and I only ever tested it with Team Fortress 2.

Sep 10, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #32,076 of 48,583
Which ever one has virtual surround. So I assume the G5. It could be a $1 million dollar dac/amp that has no surround vs a $30 device with virtual surround, and I'd choose the latter every single time.

Thanks MLE, this (and your other reply in the X7 thread) helps a lot.  

So this is probably a stupid question, but since the X7 is out of my price range, I'm looking at the E5 (or upcoming G5) so I can get virtual surround with my Playstation 4.  However, it's hard to find any actual confirmation out there that Sound Blaster optical will even work with a PS4.   I want to play Destiny with my PS4 optical going to the E5 and Fidelio X2.  Is that a compatible setup that will give me virtual surround?  Is it going to sound amazing? :p

Sep 10, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #32,077 of 48,583
  Thanks MLE, this (and your other reply in the X7 thread) helps a lot.  

So this is probably a stupid question, but since the X7 is out of my price range, I'm looking at the E5 (or upcoming G5) so I can get virtual surround with my Playstation 4.  However, it's hard to find any actual confirmation out there that Sound Blaster optical will even work with a PS4.   I want to play Destiny with my PS4 optical going to the E5 and Fidelio X2.  Is that a compatible setup that will give me virtual surround?  Is it going to sound amazing? :p

E5 does not support console virtual surround, however upcoming G5 is supposed to (it's supposed to have multiplatform compatibility, according to press release)

Sep 10, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #32,078 of 48,583
  E5 does not support console virtual surround, however upcoming G5 is supposed to (it's supposed to have multiplatform compatibility, according to press release)

Good to know, thanks! 

I noticed in your sig that you use the Schiit stack with the X7 - what is the purpose of using both together?  Isn't the SS a suitable dac/amp on its own for listening to music?

Sep 10, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #32,079 of 48,583
  Good to know, thanks! 

I noticed in your sig that you use the Schiit stack with the X7 - what is the purpose of using both together?  Isn't the SS a suitable dac/amp on its own for listening to music?

X7 and the Schiit stack sound different enough to me that I switch back and forth between the two when listening to different kinds of music. The Modi I purchased has optical input instead of USB, and optical output on my motherboard is horrible so I use X7 in USB>S/PDIF converter mode whenever I feel like listening to music with the Stack.
However I put the stack on sale some time ago as I consider X7 to be competent enough to satisfy my musical needs.

Sep 11, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #32,081 of 48,583
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a solution that will allow me to use my XBOX ONE/ and PC with the Philips X2/27 Fidelio. I plan on TWITCH streaming and want to capture and broadcast high-quality audio. I have been looking at solutions, most noticeably the one provided by @Styles, but I'm still looking for a few more suggestions.

Though Styles setup would provide a lot of control over the audio, I'm curious about the Creative X7. I've seen a few posts on setups, but wanted to ask a key question.

1) Is is possible to plug in a mic, let's say a XLR using a Focusrite to RCA, and then have the audio out of the back of the X7 carry the mic-channel only? (I'm thinking headphones in the front for main audio, mic-out to the xbox controller).

I've been toying with the idea of using an XLR microphone and wanted to see possible solutions. If this is a no-go, then I may just stick with a mic from v-moda and try to bringing audio in.

Any suggestions for a Xbox-audio setup is greatly appreciated. Keep in mind I may want the audio to be recorded for Twitch.

Quote:
  @becnel51
Here,s my recent update to XB1 gaming.  If you go a back a few pages here you can see some of my most recent items on chat and getting it to work better for XB1, cant help on the PS4 side but there are plenty of others that can.  One thing to note is that I game at my desk so I dont care anything about wires and do not want anything tho do with a wireless setup!  You'll see a lot of chatter about that as well.

The Rolls is the key to get full best sounding chat.

Sep 11, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #32,085 of 48,583
Just bought akg q701.
Now just wondering what amp would I use for it.
Under 150 euros.

I would think the Magni 2 would probably be a good solution for the Q701 in terms of amping on a budget. If the Project Polaris at $215 = less than 150 Euros, then I would personally check that one out, since it has a lot of power for the price.

I assume you have a gaming dac/amp in the mix somewhere, because you're gonna want to plug in that amp to something.

The Turtle Beach DSS goes for less than $20 on Amazon.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turtle-Beach-Ear-Force-DSS-7-1-Dolby-Surround-Sound-Processor-x11-p11-/300884680998?hash=item460e1fe126

Just be wary that microphones won't work out of the box with that one, and I recommend jumping up to the Mixamp or Creative Recon USB if you want all functionalities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back