Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 22, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #31,892 of 48,583
how can be possible that 598 have 9.25pt to competitive line and other like AKG have 10pt ?

U can tell me 598 soundstage and positioning is near to AKG 7xx and Audio Technica ?

I can guess that its because its part of their respective intended design that have directly or indirectly benefited gaming. Then again, I doubt Sennheiser, AKG, or Audio Technica had gaming in mind when they designed them, but ended up being that good for gaming.

Aug 22, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #31,893 of 48,583
Just out of curiousity, what do you guys rate the little IEMs that come with Samsung phones? I only ask because honestly, those sound fine to me, so if the the Seinnheiser PC-363D's sound as good or better, I may be happy with those...

Edit: Nevermind, didn't realize the 363's were open.

Aug 22, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #31,894 of 48,583
  how can be possible that 598 have 9.25pt to competitive line and other like AKG have 10pt ?
U can tell me 598 soundstage and positioning is near to AKG 7xx and Audio Technica ?

Yes it is

Aug 23, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #31,895 of 48,583
Wow, very impressing topic! Kudos. 

I decided to buy a headset for gaming and listening to music at home. Search the last couple of days a lot on the web (completely noob in this section of hardware, always used cheap and simple earplugs) and I'm totally not sure what I have to buy.

Before I found this topic, I was thinking about buying the HyperX Cloud II if I decide to buy a closed one, or the Sennheiser HD 558 if I decide to buy an open one. Unfortunately, both of them didn't make the list. But after reading this topic, I also got interested in the Creative Aurvana Live! (or the newer edition, the Live!2. Not sure what's the difference between the two besides the looks?).

I'm still not sure if I have to go for an open or a closed one. I intend to use it only at home, so the more surround feeling the open-one gives does sounds interesting. But I also like to emerge into the game, and I wonder if closed headphones really are that bad for the surrounding feeling? Do I really notice the difference between closed and open surrounding, when it's going to be my first more serious headset?

And how good is the HyperX Cloud II? Would this be a good choice if I go for the closed one? Or is, in this topic the good rated Creative Aurvana Live! (or Live!2) the better option of I go for the closed one? And is the Sennheiser HD 558 good choice if I go for the open one?

Aug 23, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #31,896 of 48,583
I had Cloud 2, Fidelio X2, Senn HD600 and 598.

Cloud II is very similar for its price to all my hifi headphones.
Its a close headphone but sound stage is very very open and not seems close, seems open. 

Aug 23, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #31,897 of 48,583
  I had Cloud 2, Fidelio X2, Senn HD600 and 598.

Cloud II is very similar for its price to all my hifi headphones.
Its a close headphone but sound stage is very very open and not seems close, seems open. 

Alright, thank you very much for your reply. I think I'm just going to order the Cloud II then =)

Still one question, and I hope you can answer it because you had the Cloud II. I noticed that you can't equalize the sound on the Cloud II, because there is no driver/software, just a plug-and-play set. Is it possible to use software like Razer Surround with the Cloud II when the Cloud II is connected to the USB sound''card''? Or will the Razer software just interfere with the EQ settings of the sound''card''?

Aug 23, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #31,898 of 48,583
Razer surround is crap
The 7.1 of cloud II integrated in the dongle is hyper crap ( maybe one of the bigger fail i haver seen )
Headphone surround of Asus is totally inusable.

Only Creative softwares are amazing and run great. 

Aug 23, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #31,899 of 48,583
  Razer surround is crap
The 7.1 of cloud II integrated in the dongle is hyper crap ( maybe one of the bigger fail i haver seen )

Lol, that response screams ''don't buy the Cloud 2''.
I've read a lot of opinions about the virtual 7.1 dongle option, a lot of people claims it's very good considering it is virtual, others just think it's meh, not good but also not bad. But most of them agree it gives (at least a bit of) a surrounding feeling. But giving your response, you don't agree on that?

I was more interested in the Cloud 2 because of the virtual 7.1 add-on. If I just going to use it in standard stereo I'm maybe going to reconsider to go for an open headphone, like the HD558, because of the overall sound quality. I like the surrounding aspect of it, and because I'm using it at home I don't mind sound leaking. But I do ''hate'' (sounds more dramatic than it is) hearing backgroundsound around me. Is it, with an open headphone, just a matter of turning the volume up and no/almost no backgroundsounds around you? Or is a closed one really needed for the emerge feeling?

And I've searched on creative software on the web, did you mean sony creative software? And which one specific? 
Because I would like to have the option to play with the EQ, no matter if I go for the Cloud 2 or the HD 558. If that's even possible with the Cloud 2 while using the dongle..

Aug 23, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #31,900 of 48,583

Lol, that response screams ''don't buy the Cloud 2''.
I've read a lot of opinions about the virtual 7.1 dongle option, a lot of people claims it's very good considering it is virtual, others just think it's meh, not good but also not bad. But most of them agree it gives (at least a bit of) a surrounding feeling. But giving your response, you don't agree on that?

I was more interested in the Cloud 2 because of the virtual 7.1 add-on. If I just going to use it in standard stereo I'm maybe going to reconsider to go for an open headphone, like the HD558, because of the overall sound quality. I like the surrounding aspect of it, and because I'm using it at home I don't mind sound leaking. But I do ''hate'' (sounds more dramatic than it is) hearing backgroundsound around me. Is it, with an open headphone, just a matter of turning the volume up and no/almost no backgroundsounds around you? Or is a closed one really needed for the emerge feeling?

And I've searched on creative software on the web, did you mean sony creative software? And which one specific? 
Because I would like to have the option to play with the EQ, no matter if I go for the Cloud 2 or the HD 558. If that's even possible with the Cloud 2 while using the dongle..

He means the company called creative. They make the soundblaster stuff. They're the best of the affordable surround sound processing stuff by far.

Aug 23, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #31,901 of 48,583
So the software named SOUND BLASTER X-FI MB3? I don't mind buying that if it gives me better and more EQ and surround settings options =)
Or does that software comes for free when you buy the headphone Live!2? Couldn't find it on the productpage, so it probably doesn't. 

Also, giving that the Cloud 2 = 107 euro, and the Live!2 = 100 euro. Which would be a better option?

Aug 23, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #31,902 of 48,583
So the software named SOUND BLASTER X-FI MB3? I don't mind buying that if it gives me better and more EQ and surround settings options =)
Or does that software comes for free when you buy the headphone Live!2? Couldn't find it on the productpage, so it probably doesn't. 

Also, giving that the Cloud 2 = 107 euro, and the Live!2 = 100 euro. Which would be a better option?

Yes that software (link in USA store: http://software.store.creative.com/p/software/sound-blaster-x-fi-mb3). If you already have the Cloud II (and the cloud II only connects via USB?), then yes, Creative's X-Fi software is probably your best bet.

The thing about surround processing (see my article linked in my signature), everyone's ears are slightly different and what works for most people won't work at all for others. Mad, NamelessPFG, and I used to weigh in about which was "best" between Dolby Headphone, Creative CMSS-3D, and Creative SBX; while we could generally agree on certain characteristics about each processing method, we also came to the conclusion that it mostly came down to personal taste. Those three are the most widely used and available processing, but there are many more which vary in sophistication and "naturalness." Razer surround processing is pretty customizable, but ultimately it's just not as sophisticated as the first three I mentioned and (subjectively) I couldn't get it to sound natural to me.

Regarding headphones/headset, I'd prefer something I could use with multiple devices, especially if it was going to be my only or "main" headphone. I haven't heard the Cloud II myself, but I have a CAL! 2, it sounds nice enough with a pleasant warm and bassy sound, but I've never been able to wear any closed headphone so far for the multiple hours I like to play games for. Hot ears and pressure discomfort, the CAL!2's are better than some closed headphones but not especially for marathoning IMO. I haven't heard the famous Audio Technica M50, but what I hear from the CAL!2 matches the typical M50 description.

Aug 23, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #31,903 of 48,583
Yes that software (link in USA store: http://software.store.creative.com/p/software/sound-blaster-x-fi-mb3). If you already have the Cloud II (and the cloud II only connects via USB?), then yes, Creative's X-Fi software is probably your best bet.

The thing about surround processing (see my article linked in my signature), everyone's ears are slightly different and what works for most people won't work at all for others. Mad, NamelessPFG, and I used to weigh in about which was "best" between Dolby Headphone, Creative CMSS-3D, and Creative SBX; while we could generally agree on certain characteristics about each processing method, we also came to the conclusion that it mostly came down to personal taste. Those three are the most widely used and available processing, but there are many more which vary in sophistication and "naturalness." Razer surround processing is pretty customizable, but ultimately it's just not as sophisticated as the first three I mentioned and (subjectively) I couldn't get it to sound natural to me.

Regarding headphones/headset, I'd prefer something I could use with multiple devices, especially if it was going to be my only or "main" headphone. I haven't heard the Cloud II myself, but I have a CAL! 2, it sounds nice enough with a pleasant warm and bassy sound, but I've never been able to wear any closed headphone so far for the multiple hours I like to play games for. Hot ears and pressure discomfort, the CAL!2's are better than some closed headphones but not especially for marathoning IMO.

Thank you very much for your reply. As a matter of fact, I already did read your topic after websearching. Thank you for that =)
And to be honest. I'm currently completely lost. I thought, I want a better audio device then my simple 2.0 speaker set, and with a max of 100 euro (because I've always used ~20 euro earplugs). But the choices, and the difference, is so overwhelming. I'm really glad I've found this site, with people who are trying to help me.

All I want is that the sound when I'm gaming is good and strong enough to emerge me into the setting (like I'm right there), with a good surrounding quality, and a good experience while listening to music. I'm really not sure if I have to go for a closed or an open one. I know that, when I'll go with the cloud II, I will get that emerge feeling into the setting of the game, but I'm not sure how the surround setting is, how well the 7.1 function performs and if it's possible to play with the equelizer settings through software like Razer or Creative's X-Fi. For the music part and the surrounding feeling I'd probably go best with the Sennheiser HD 558, and maybe can create a 7.1 virtual surround with software like Razer or Creative's X-Fi (is this possible with the HD 558 and the right software?). I really don't care about a mic (also because I already have a studio mic, but I just don't like talking while I'm gaming). 

I wanted to order the Cloud II and just be over with it, but I'm really afraid I take the wrong decision. I know, I could return the headphone and go with the other, but I rather have the one that best suits with me right away. I do realize that everybody has it's own opinion about what is best, but based on what I want to be able with it, which one suits me better? 

BTW, if it's relevant for the opinion; Cloud II = ~105 euro, HD 558 = ~140 euro. But I'm willing to pay that price if that option suits me better.

Aug 23, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #31,904 of 48,583
Thanks for the awesome guide m8! 
smile_phones.gif

I've decided on the Philips Fidelio X2 for my Xbox One setup.

Aug 24, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #31,905 of 48,583
  Razer surround is crap

I actually disagree about the cloud. The surround mode on Cloud II is quite acceptable without any consistent alteration, while i did not test the Razer Surround outside of a Razer headset yet. I'm currently busy with a lot of reviews but it's on schedule.

Cloud II can be connected either with classical jack plug or USB dongle. Audio quality wise (cloud I and II) they're the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back