Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 3, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #31,607 of 48,566
So I was reading about the Sony silver headset. Apparently this is just a wired version of the gold headset and is available for 23 dollars at the moment. Upon looking at the manual I see a USB dongle is included which allows the headset to be plugged into the ps4 and receive the 7.1 signal as well as access to the companion app. Wondering how and if thiswould work on other "easy to drive headsets/headphones". Could be a cheaper option for people looking to get into a surround sound gaming.

Has anyone tried this?

I'll probably just order one to play around with or give to a friend at the low cost of 23 bucks.

Aug 3, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #31,608 of 48,566
Aug 3, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #31,609 of 48,566

Methinks the force will be strong in that one. The phrase "God-mode-inducing gobs of clarity" comes to mind.

I certainly hope it will be. I spent a LOT of time with the HE400i for gaming and I did some extensive gaming with the HE1000 as well. I expect the Ether will beat the HE400i but I'm not sure how it will fare against the HE1000 for gaming, that's the interesting comparison. That HE1000 soundstage, detail retrieval, and speed made it one hell of a gaming can.

Aug 3, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #31,610 of 48,566

Methinks the force will be strong in that one. The phrase "God-mode-inducing gobs of clarity" comes to mind.

I certainly hope it will be. I spent a LOT of time with the HE400i for gaming and I did some extensive gaming with the HE1000 as well. I expect the Ether will beat the HE400i but I'm not sure how it will fare against the HE1000 for gaming, that's the interesting comparison. That HE1000 soundstage, detail retrieval, and speed made it one hell of a gaming can.

That will be interesting. It's hard to compare headphones that are both so good, but also so broadly different on such a nuanced level. I'm interested to hear what you think.

Aug 3, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #31,611 of 48,566
So I was reading about the Sony silver headset. Apparently this is just a wired version of the gold headset and is available for 23 dollars at the moment. Upon looking at the manual I see a USB dongle is included which allows the headset to be plugged into the ps4 and receive the 7.1 signal as well as access to the companion app. Wondering how and if thiswould work on other "easy to drive headsets/headphones". Could be a cheaper option for people looking to get into a surround sound gaming.

Has anyone tried this?

I'll probably just order one to play around with or give to a friend at the low cost of 23 bucks.

Virtual Surround in all Sony headsets is just expanded stereo instead of proper surround. PS4 does not transmit surround signal via USB.

Aug 3, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #31,612 of 48,566
you guys should consider this 9.1 wireless headphone, it decodes DD and DTS both....

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Sony-MDR-HW700DS-9-1ch-Wireless-Digital-Surround-Headphones-System-From-Japan-/171440767594?hash=item27eaaa826a

Aug 3, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #31,614 of 48,566
  Creative X7 has a virtual input device called "What U Hear" which basically is what the device is outputting to the headphone/speaker out, You need to enable listening to this device in Windows and set S/PDIF out as a playback device.

And voila! SBX surround passed on to the optical out.

You sure that will work? I thought in order to pass surround sound signal through Optical, the device has to encode it cause the suround sound signal is very large and the Optical bandwidth doesn't have enough bandwidth for it.
So unless the X7 can encode the signal, then I don't see how it can pass that through the Optical output?

Aug 3, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #31,616 of 48,566
  You sure that will work? I thought in order to pass surround sound signal through Optical, the device has to encode it cause the suround sound signal is very large and the Optical bandwidth doesn't have enough bandwidth for it.
So unless the X7 can encode the signal, then I don't see how it can pass that through the Optical output?

PS4 encodes the 5.1 surround signal as Dolby Digital Live signal (5.1 over optical standard codec). X7 decodes it turns it into 2 channel binaural signal which then is passed onto What U Hear virtual device which is then output to the X7 S/PDIF out. Works like a charm.
  you guys should consider this 9.1 wireless headphone, it decodes DD and DTS both....

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Sony-MDR-HW700DS-9-1ch-Wireless-Digital-Surround-Headphones-System-From-Japan-/171440767594?hash=item27eaaa826a

Why the hell would we care about DTS and DD when the headphones accept 7.1 LPCM uncompressed signal?
Also, can the base station be connected to any other device besides these headphones? If not then they kinda suck, being tied to one specific pair of headphones is never a good thing.

Aug 3, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #31,617 of 48,566
  PS4 encodes the 5.1 surround signal as Dolby Digital Live signal (5.1 over optical standard codec). X7 decodes it turns it into 2 channel binaural signal which then is passed onto What U Hear virtual device which is then output to the X7 S/PDIF out. Works like a charm.
Why the hell would we care about DTS and DD when the headphones accept 7.1 LPCM uncompressed signal?
Also, can the base station be connected to any other device besides these headphones? If not then they kinda suck, being tied to one specific pair of headphones is never a good thing.

I guess the headphones are better than turtle beach , astro or razer...

I am with you on this, but somepeople think DTS is superior to DD, The algorithms are surely different, but the differences are negligible.

some facts about this thing :

1) It doesn't have Dolby headphone, it uses a Sony's own version of virtual surround.
2) it uses Dolby pro logic IIz as opposed to DPLIIx ( mixamp uses DPLIIx)

Aug 3, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #31,618 of 48,566

I guess the headphones are better than turtle beach , astro or razer...

I am with you on this, but somepeople think DTS is superior to DD, The algorithms are surely different, but the differences are negligible.

some facts about this thing :

1) It doesn't have Dolby headphone, it uses a Sony's own version of virtual surround.
2) it uses Dolby pro logic IIz as opposed to DPLIIx ( mixamp uses DPLIIx)

So do you have this Sony headphones and the surround box? If so, is the surround sounds more convince than those Dolby headphone from Astro Mix amp and Creative X7 SBX?
And from the look of it the surround sound box has HDMI inputs? WoW that's amazing, which basically you can pass surround sound signal straight from your PC to the box uncompressed.
But I don't see that many ppl has seen or review this Sony headphones? 

So can the PS4 and Xbox1 transfer surround signal via HDMI?

Aug 3, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #31,619 of 48,566
  So do you have this Sony headphones and the surround box? If so, is the surround sounds more convince than those Dolby headphone from Astro Mix amp and Creative X7 SBX?
And from the look of it the surround sound box has HDMI inputs? WoW that's amazing, which basically you can pass surround sound signal straight from your PC to the box uncompressed.
But I don't see that many ppl has seen or review this Sony headphones? 

So can the PS4 and Xbox1 transfer surround signal via HDMI?

I considered buying these, but the price put me off, if it was around 200 bucks I would have bought them. it has HDMI inputs, you can send the sound signals ( PCM or DD/DTS) along with the Video signal into the box, then the box decodes the sound and transmits it to the headphone and the video signal goes to the TV or whatever...in short, it works with consoles and PC. the decoder box accepts all sorts of audio signals, here are the specs: 

Specifications:

1. Driver unit: 50mm (CCAW voice coil adoption)
  2. Reproduction bandwidth: 5-25,000Hz
  3. Power supply: Built-in lithium ion chargeable battery
  4. Battery life: 12 hours (With fully charged built-in lithium ion chargeable battery)
  5. Weight: 320g, processor - 410g
  6. Decoder: Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, DTS 96/24, DTS-ES, DTS, DTS Neo:6, MPEG-2 AAC, LPCM 2ch/5.1ch/7.1ch, Dolby Pro Logic IIz
  7. Input terminal: HDMIx3, Opticalx1, Stereo pin jack x1
  8. Output termail: HDMIx1, Opticalx1

it gets good reviews, But the price is a bit too high....

Aug 3, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #31,620 of 48,566

I considered buying these, but the price put me off, if it was around 200 bucks I would have bought them. it has HDMI inputs, you can send the sound signals ( PCM or DD/DTS) along with the Video signal into the box, then the box decodes the sound and transmits it to the headphone and the video signal goes to the TV or whatever...in short, it works with consoles and PC. the decoder box accepts all sorts of audio signals, here are the specs: 

Specifications:

1. Driver unit: 50mm (CCAW voice coil adoption)
  2. Reproduction bandwidth: 5-25,000Hz
  3. Power supply: Built-in lithium ion chargeable battery
  4. Battery life: 12 hours (With fully charged built-in lithium ion chargeable battery)
  5. Weight: 320g, processor - 410g
  6. Decoder: Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, DTS 96/24, DTS-ES, DTS, DTS Neo:6, MPEG-2 AAC, LPCM 2ch/5.1ch/7.1ch, Dolby Pro Logic IIz
  7. Input terminal: HDMIx3, Opticalx1, Stereo pin jack x1
  8. Output termail: HDMIx1, Opticalx1

it gets good reviews, But the price is a bit too high....

It got good review, but how is the Surround compare to Creative X7 SBX or AStro MIxAmp Dolby Headphone? that's the $1 million question

I dont care about the price, as long as the surround lives up to it.  But can you hook up another / different headphone to the surround box? Or it only works via wireless with the Sony headphone?

And also, do you know if sony sell the surround box separate?
This is the first surround sound processor box that has HDMI inputs, which i was looking for. I don't see why not a lot of companies make HDMI input .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back