Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 2, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #31,591 of 48,566
Can this TAC pass the 5.1 surround sound signals through the Optical? Like let say u want to hook up another Amp to the TAC, can u still get the surround sound coming out?
Also, can the Astro MIXAmp Pro do that? Like pass the 5.1 dolby surround sound signal through the Optical inputu and then out Optical to another device?

From the looks of it, it could be possible. We don't really know much about it's features, yet. This is technically a prototype, probably like a beta of the final production TAC.

Aug 2, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #31,593 of 48,566
  Can this TAC pass the 5.1 surround sound signals through the Optical? Like let say u want to hook up another Amp to the TAC, can u still get the surround sound coming out?
Also, can the Astro MIXAmp Pro do that? Like pass the 5.1 dolby surround sound signal through the Optical inputu and then out Optical to another device?

No...
Currently only the X7 can do that [and it requires a PC nearby].
The TAC can only pass stereo. You can connect almost every device to another amplifier [by using an analogue out, which means double amping] but only the X7 can pass it on to another DAC.

Aug 2, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #31,596 of 48,566
I think x7 doesn't send sbx through optical out, just stereo. Not sure...

Yea I don't think the X7 can do it either.

There's a workaround. It requires to be connected to a PC [powered on], but it works 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #31,598 of 48,566
  So how does it work connect to a PC?

Creative X7 has a virtual input device called "What U Hear" which basically is what the device is outputting to the headphone/speaker out, You need to enable listening to this device in Windows and set S/PDIF out as a playback device.

And voila! SBX surround passed on to the optical out.

Aug 2, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #31,599 of 48,566
Should we expect any audio news from Gamescon? I was really disappointed Astro didn't show off anything new.
Turtle Beach did show of an entire new line of headphones. Maybe we'll finally see more info on the Turtle Beach TAC at Gamescon? 
Basically there were no surprises at E3, Im hoping for something at Gamescon.

Aug 3, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #31,600 of 48,566
You made me chuckle :D

Anyway, I actually got to try Headphone-X and the newest TB headset at E3. I was once again reminded why I switched from TB [my first 'serous' headphone] to good stereo headsets... While the technology might be good, the headset sounded like poop compared to anything I've tried in the last 3 years! No kidding.

The TAC will also NOT be able to pass on the DH:X simply because TB does not want you to use any 3rd party headphones with it... While it uses an OK DAC chip [a single AK4396 like in Schiit Fulla], it will probably not be as great as it can be as you are stuck with the built-in amp as well -_-. I believe the device should retail for about 149$, but this is unconfirmed.
So a promising device still, alas crippled for me. No thanks.

Glad to make you chuckle, but I blame autocorrect!

You COULD theoretically use 3rd party headphones with the mythical unicorn TAC, just only has analogue outputs.

I still wouldn't hold the TAC up to legendary status, for the same reason why we can't say it'd be better than sliced bread: it's not a product that consumers have heard or had in their homes yet. And while the DTS X Headphone potentially can have height cues, idk if console games will automatically have height cues anyway.

Aug 3, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #31,604 of 48,566
Ok, a good idea not to then. Btw, for anyone else, it looks like the review was written in German, so hopefully you can read that or Google translate it.

A while back, we had a guy who liked his DSS 2 very much and figured out how to mod it to a line-out signal, but I haven't seen him in about a year. Basically, the DSS2 was very decent with low hiss and good technical qualities and DDL decoding, but instead of Dolby Headphone for surround re-processing it used a different headphone algorithm by Cirrus Logic, and you could adjust the angles of the speakers. Seemed promising but for $80 I never bought it for myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back