Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 4, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #30,662 of 48,562
  ah, so game audio works on both, for chat I should swap cables....how about PC ?

Now it gets kinda tricky. Since console surround headsets rely on the Dolby Digital signal You'd have to output this kind of signal from Your PC (most Realtek onboard audio cards have this capability). Alternatively buy this headset: 
It uses well-regarded Soundblaster Recon 3D USB soundcard that is both PC and console compatible but adds wireless capability to it.

May 4, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #30,663 of 48,562
Right, the Recon3D/Omega bundle is pretty much the closest to a do-all wireless... however for XBone you might have to wire in the headset to the controller for chat. I don't have an Omega myself (tho my dad recently bought a restaurant called the Omega Café!), and the Omega was designed before the current-gen consoles, so... Basically XBone is easy to get surround but a pain in the petutti to get chat in the mix! The PS4 will send chat audio to the Recon3D through USB and the game audio through optical, so that's easy.

The other caveat of the Recon3D/Omega bundle is the cost. The bundle is pretty much the only way to get a new Recon3D (used ones show up on eBay tho!), and you might find other setup options at that cost. That said, wireless for PC and console, the Recon3D/Omega bundle is probably the most flexible.

May 4, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #30,665 of 48,562
The PLYR1 should do the trick. Sounded pretty good when I tried it; similar to an M50, but with less bass.

Game sound will be easy, chat may require a cable for both consoles. I had a friend start his Head-Fi experience with the PLYR1, he was OK with it until he heard a Philips X1 and found that the PLYR1 was comparatively muddy and fatiguing. And then AKG Q701 with the Bass mod just edged out the other two for clean sound and the sense of a soundstage.

Sam may/may not end up prioritizing wireless over the clear audio quality advantages, though hearing a basic, well set up wired system of headphones will put a lot of points in favor of the musical experience over the experience in sound with a wireless setup, and make it harder to continue preferring wireless.

May 4, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #30,666 of 48,562
I see people keep recommending the Recon3d sound card.
I've already got a DSS2, which seems to do the trick, but it's a bit of a mess of cables and dongles to get a mic working with it. I've since found a single Recon3d in stock somewhat locally and was wondering if that would be a worthwhile upgrade?
I've got Samson SR850's as my headset, which are 32ohm, so don't think either would make much a difference in driving them, but obviously the DSS2 doesn't have Dolby Headphone.

May 4, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #30,667 of 48,562
Game sound will be easy, chat may require a cable for both consoles. I had a friend start his Head-Fi experience with the PLYR1, he was OK with it until he heard a Philips X1 and found that the PLYR1 was comparatively muddy and fatiguing. And then AKG Q701 with the Bass mod just edged out the other two for clean sound and the sense of a soundstage.

Sam may/may not end up prioritizing wireless over the clear audio quality advantages, though hearing a basic, well set up wired system of headphones will put a lot of points in favor of the musical experience over the experience in sound with a wireless setup, and make it harder to continue preferring wireless.

He seems to already have an A700X and a K702, so I don't think he'll be needing these for music. That said, I can't really think of a wireless gaming headset that works for all consoles and PC better than the PLYR1. It's got good positioning, and its smallish soundstage doesn't really interfere with the accuracy through DH.

May 5, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #30,668 of 48,562
  Great guide I've referred back to it many times, Kudos to you man! Is there by chance a set of IEMs that you can suggest that would be an upper tier on par with some of the better cans? I currently use the AKG K702 annies, but recently have been having some neck pains and during long gaming sessions the weight does tend to get to me. 

You need to hit the gym bro, if a set of headphone can do that much damage/pain. Strugs for the win!

May 5, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #30,669 of 48,562
  You need to hit the gym bro, if a set of headphone can do that much damage/pain. Strugs for the win!

Lol...Shrugs would be the exercise you're trying to reference. My trap game is on point and fairly certain if my working weight on shrugs is over 315 on barbell shrugs and rep with the 100 lb dbells that my shrug game is on point. Thanks for the tip though "bruh" I'll bear that in mind 
popcorn.gif

May 5, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #30,670 of 48,562
The more I read this thread, the less decisive I am getting.

Was about settled on MixAmp Pro + PC360 combo for my PS4 (as I posted in another thread)... But maybe X2s with modmic? Maybe something else!?

Arrgh

May 5, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #30,671 of 48,562

Was about settled on MixAmp Pro + PC360 combo for my PS4 (as I posted in another thread)... But maybe X2s with modmic? Maybe something else!?

Arrgh

X2 + V-moda boom mic + MixAmp Pro will do you well enough.

From there, the only "big" upgrade would be a Soundblaster X7 and a planar/Beyerdynamic T1

May 5, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #30,672 of 48,562

Arrgh

Go big or go home. HD800, Shure SM7B, mic stand, Focusrite Scarlet 2i2, Mixamp, ModMic.

May 5, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #30,673 of 48,562

Go big or go home. HD800, Shure SM7B, mic stand, Focusrite Scarlet 2i2, Mixamp, ModMic.

You forgot the Smyth Realizer with DaVinci Dac and Sennheiser Orpheus.

May 5, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #30,675 of 48,562

The realizer sounds good with the headphone amp and stax headphones it comes with Yethal, save up and stop buying gear that doesn't sound much different to each other is the answer!

I'd rather save up another 500 000$ and buy the best dac+amp combo possible so every micronuance in the voice of 12 year old, who appearently is acquainted with my mother, is audible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back