Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 27, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #30,541 of 48,562
  I Think I understand what you mean, I'm not particularly a basshead either, in fact is the bass least of my worries, but let me run this by you because I don't think I ever specifically told you guys what I would be using this for. For the most part I play FPS games on my PS4 along with some RPG games (such as Fallout series, Elder scrolls series, and Witcher Series) which usually have nice surrounding ambiance and games such as Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy that usually have pretty epic orchestral pieces. so for the most part Im always trying to listen to my surrounding while every now and then taking in the world around me with the nice musical scores in the game. other than that music wise I generally listen to a broad spectrum everything from orchestras, Rock, House music, and pretty much everything in between but I usually dont get too bass heavy. So if you still think the X2's would be better for the applications ill be using it for than I guess I'm on board with spending a little extra.

We're on the same boat here, I only play on PC and PS4, most of the stuff I play are RPG's but I play some shooter games like Far Cry and Metal Gear. So far what I have been reading is that the X2 are one the best headphones you can get for the price range. Plus you can attach the Boompro Mic if you use chat, though I read that it reduces  the headphone sound quality a bit. I'm super new to all of this, so I've been mostly reading posts and trying to learn all the lingo.  

Apr 27, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #30,542 of 48,562
  I Think I understand what you mean, I'm not particularly a basshead either, in fact is the bass least of my worries, but let me run this by you because I don't think I ever specifically told you guys what I would be using this for. For the most part I play FPS games on my PS4 along with some RPG games (such as Fallout series, Elder scrolls series, and Witcher Series) which usually have nice surrounding ambiance and games such as Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy that usually have pretty epic orchestral pieces. so for the most part Im always trying to listen to my surrounding while every now and then taking in the world around me with the nice musical scores in the game. other than that music wise I generally listen to a broad spectrum everything from orchestras, Rock, House music, and pretty much everything in between but I usually dont get too bass heavy. So if you still think the X2's would be better for the applications ill be using it for than I guess I'm on board with spending a little extra.

I listen to almost strictly Rock and all its subgenres (Indie, Garage, Industrial, Post-Hardcore, Punk, Metal, etc.), some J-pop, as well as modern orchestra from games like Final Fantasy and Ragnarok Online. Maybe some EDM here and there when I'm in the mood for it.

I play a lot of FPS, including CS 1.6 competitively way back when; along with CS:GO, BF3, Planetside 2, Bioshock, etc.

I also absolutely love RPGs; particularly MMOs. Played FFXI religiously, WoW hardcore, FFXIV casually. Many traditional RPGs as well such as every FF in the series, Chrono Trigger/Cross, Valkyrie Profile, etc.

The X2 is pretty much my favorite from all the ones I've owned currently and in the past. These include the K701, K712, HD598, HD600, HD650, DT770, DT880, Momentum, M50X, M100, HE-400, SRH840, etc.

Perfect amount of Bass (lacking in the AKGs and Senns, too much in the DT770, M50, and M100; perfect on the HE-400).

Fairly neutral Mids (too distant on the AKGs, too recessed on M50X, M100 and HE-400, perfect on the Senns)

Decently airy and well-extended Treble (peaky in the Beyers, artificial on the AKGs, outright offensive in the HE-400, perfect on the HD600, too recessed on the HD650).

I'm not saying it's the hands-down the best, and sound is definitely subjective, but I'm absolutely in love with it. It's the best for me. It's like Goldilocks. This one's just right for my tastes.

Apr 27, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #30,543 of 48,562

I listen to almost strictly Rock and all its subgenres (Indie, Garage, Industrial, Post-Hardcore, Punk, Metal, etc.), some J-pop, as well as modern orchestra from games like Final Fantasy and Ragnarok Online. Maybe some EDM here and there when I'm in the mood for it.

I play a lot of FPS, including CS 1.6 competitively way back when; along with CS:GO, BF3, Planetside 2, Bioshock, etc.

I also absolutely love RPGs; particularly MMOs. Played FFXI religiously, WoW hardcore, FFXIV casually. Many traditional RPGs as well such as every FF in the series, Chrono Trigger/Cross, Valkyrie Profile, etc.

The X2 is pretty much my favorite from all the ones I've owned currently and in the past. These include the K701, K712, HD598, HD600, HD650, DT770, DT880, Momentum, M50X, M100, HE-400, SRH840, etc.

Perfect amount of Bass (lacking in the AKGs and Senns, too much in the DT770, M50, and M100; perfect on the HE-400).

Fairly neutral Mids (too distant on the AKGs, too recessed on M50X, M100 and HE-400, perfect on the Senns)

Decently airy and well-extended Treble (peaky in the Beyers, artificial on the AKGs, outright offensive in the HE-400, perfect on the HD600, too recessed on the HD650).

I'm not saying it's the hands-down the best, and sound is definitely subjective, but I'm absolutely in love with it. It's the best for me. It's like Goldilocks. This one's just right for my tastes.

No, I think I get what you're saying, but for the most part you have nearly the same taste as me even down to the occasional J-Pop and your selection of games. I think I will give these a try. thanks for all the help and thanks to anyone else who put forth there opinions in trying to help me.

Apr 27, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #30,544 of 48,562
  We're on the same boat here, I only play on PC and PS4, most of the stuff I play are RPG's but I play some shooter games like Far Cry and Metal Gear. So far what I have been reading is that the X2 are one the best headphones you can get for the price range. Plus you can attach the Boompro Mic if you use chat, though I read that it reduces  the headphone sound quality a bit. I'm super new to all of this, so I've been mostly reading posts and trying to learn all the lingo.  

yeah I mean I would be worrie about the loss of quality but I can only imagine it only reduces the quality so much. besides im sure these are still better than my X41's but yeah I will definitely give these a try thank you so much for all your help.

Apr 28, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #30,545 of 48,562
Alright so I think I may be an idiot, long story short I need a pair of headphones for for gaming, I was helped out by quite a few people on here and was told to get the Philips Fidelio X2 which would have been great because its every thing I wanted only there is one problem, its an open headphones which would have been amazing but I forgot I'm moving in a few months and will be living in a much smaller environment with other people and need to be quite.

So here I am again, and once again I'll tell you wonderful people what I need and what I will be using it for.

What I need:
So for starters I have a 300 dollar budget for both the V-Moda Boompro and a headset of choice. I can be a bit flexible on the pricing if you think I can get the headset for a deal but for the most part try to keep the headset under 300 dollars. It obviously has to be compatible with the boompro, and it also needs to be closed because as I said I'm an idiot and forgot I will be living cramped with a few other people. And it also needs to be better than my old turtle beach X41's but I'm pretty sure that's not going to be a problem if im going to be dropping close to 300 on a pair of well build headphones.

What I'm using it for:
I'm primarily going to be using this to play games on my PS4 I mainly play two types of genres, FPS and RPG, for example I'll be playing things like Call of Duty, Battlefield, Rainbow Six, but then I will play games like GTA, Elder Scrolls, Witcher series, Bloodborne,  and Metal gear solid. SO on one end I have all these great Orchestral scores being made to try and have you immersed in these Role playing games, and on the other hand you have a game where you need to hear your surrounding and know where all these explosions are coming from. other than that Music wise I mainly listen to variants or Rock, some house and techno, a little bit of orchestral pieces, and the occasional indie/nu disco.

Once again any help would be much appreciated.

Apr 28, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #30,546 of 48,562
  Alright so I think I may be an idiot, long story short I need a pair of headphones for for gaming, I was helped out by quite a few people on here and was told to get the Philips Fidelio X2 which would have been great because its every thing I wanted only there is one problem, its an open headphones which would have been amazing but I forgot I'm moving in a few months and will be living in a much smaller environment with other people and need to be quite.

So here I am again, and once again I'll tell you wonderful people what I need and what I will be using it for.

What I need:
So for starters I have a 300 dollar budget for both the V-Moda Boompro and a headset of choice. I can be a bit flexible on the pricing if you think I can get the headset for a deal but for the most part try to keep the headset under 300 dollars. It obviously has to be compatible with the boompro, and it also needs to be closed because as I said I'm an idiot and forgot I will be living cramped with a few other people. And it also needs to be better than my old turtle beach X41's but I'm pretty sure that's not going to be a problem if im going to be dropping close to 300 on a pair of well build headphones.

Try the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro. I bought it about two weeks ago and so far, I'm loving it.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #30,547 of 48,562
I mostly game on my PS4. So I was curious if Creative Sound Blaster E3 USB DAC/Amp Combo I saw on Massdrop would be a good investment for me.

I would like to add that I do listen to a lot of music on my computer. I also game on on my PC, but not as much as I do on my PS4. I also watch movies on both systems.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #30,548 of 48,562
  I mostly game on my PS4. So I was curious if Creative Sound Blaster E3 USB DAC/Amp Combo I saw on Massdrop would be a good investment for me.

I would like to add that I do listen to a lot of music on my computer. I also game on on my PC, but not as much as I do on my PS4. I also watch movies on both systems.

If You're only going to play in stereo then it should work over USB.

Apr 28, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #30,549 of 48,562
Hello everyone this is my first post at head-fi!

So i was looking into some upgrades for my ATH-900's which cracked recently. (which I mainly used for Games/Music/Movies, in order of priority), I plan to repair and keep those, but I was hoping to find out some information about a pair of Closed Back Headphones that might do the trick.    So my requirement are:

$400 - $600 Budget
Closed Back Headphone
Wide soundstage for a Close Back

I currently have a regular old Sound Blaster Z installed on my desktop.  I am looking to upgrade to the ZxR someday, or maybe if I lose my mind, and want the extra convenience, the X7. 

Right now I have a pair of Shure 1540s on order, but I haven't opened them yet, and I was looking for other suggestions.  the MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs seemed like a good option as well. Anyone have any recommendations for this kind of need?

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #30,550 of 48,562
So i was looking into some upgrades for my ATH-900's which cracked recently. (which I mainly used for Games/Music/Movies, in order of priority), I plan to repair and keep those, but I was hoping to find out some information about a pair of Closed Back Headphones that might do the trick.    So my requirement are:
$400 - $600 Budget
Closed Back Headphone
Wide sound stage for a Close Back
I currently have a regular old Sound Blaster Z installed on my desktop.  I am looking to upgrade to the ZxR someday, or maybe if I lose my mind, and want the extra convenience, the X7. 
Right now I have a pair of Shure 1540s on order, but I haven't opened them yet, and I was looking for other suggestions.  the MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs seemed like a good option as well. Anyone have any recommendations for this kind of need?

Used Audio Technica ATH-W1000X, for $316
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251934809140?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
The W1000X's are what I upgraded to (from a ATH-A900X).

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #30,554 of 48,562
  Try the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro. I bought it about two weeks ago and so far, I'm loving it.

thanks, yeah I will definitely consider these, also how are the V-Moda M-100's just curious because I don't hear many people talk about them and I Noticed they were closed headphones as well. Do they stack up against the beyerdynamics at all? Also How would I go about using a mix amp to get surround sound on the ps4 with any of these headphones? and which mix amp should I even get? there is so much to audio it hurts my brain.

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #30,555 of 48,562

$400 - $600 Budget
Closed Back Headphone
Wide soundstage for a Close Back

Personally, I'd avoid the Alpha Dog. They're not lively enough for gaming. The ZMF Vibros are a good mid heavy and bassy bet. The TH600 by Fostex would be a better buy than the 1560s if you can find a B-stock somewhere (and they can be driven by your sound card.)

If you do go for an Alpha Dog or Vibro, you'll have to upgrade your equipment. A optical modi 2 and Magni 2 would be a great bet. Just output optical from the Soundblaster to the Modi so that you can get the SBX surround without having to sacrifice fidelity from double amping.

Other than that, avoid the Beyerdynamic T70p. If you have a normal or small head, he blue MoFi is another surprisingly good choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back