Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 27, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #30,526 of 48,562
He would only need a 3 pole, not a 4 pole however. Not sure if it fits in the 598 or not, but the headphones would only need to receive left right and ground as the boom pro would cutout the mic line.

Erik

Do it like this guy:

http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=16461.2655

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #30,527 of 48,562
I've read thru a lot of this thread...  I was hoping someone could point me in the general direction of what I'm looking for!

I currently own the AudioTechnica ATH-AD700.  It has exceptional comfort.  It has zero bass.  I may be a closet basshead, and I have a ButtKicker attached directly to my office chair as I play games.

I'm looking for endgame headphones for my gaming.  I appreciate quality sound, and I also love bass.  Let's assume price isn't an issue (ok, under $1500).  For gaming and overall quality, I've seen these suggestions:

1. DT990
  2. Q701
  3. HE560

My requirements are:

1. Open headphones
  2. Comfortable and not too hot for long gaming sessions
  3. Decent bass
  4. Great soundstage

Any recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated.  I've been saving up for the HE-500s, but now that the 560s are out, they seem to be equally good, but lighter and more comfortable.  I'm not the type of person who has to spend the money just because I have it.  I'm willing to settle on a cheaper headphone if it meets my requirements!  Thanks again!

John

Apr 27, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #30,528 of 48,562
  I've read thru a lot of this thread...  I was hoping someone could point me in the general direction of what I'm looking for!

I currently own the AudioTechnica ATH-AD700.  It has exceptional comfort.  It has zero bass.  I may be a closet basshead, and I have a ButtKicker attached directly to my office chair as I play games.

I'm looking for endgame headphones for my gaming.  I appreciate quality sound, and I also love bass.  Let's assume price isn't an issue (ok, under $1500).  For gaming and overall quality, I've seen these suggestions:

1. DT990
  2. Q701
  3. HE560

My requirements are:

1. Open headphones
  3. Decent bass
  4. Great soundstage

Any recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated.  I've been saving up for the HE-500s, but now that the 560s are out, they seem to be equally good, but lighter and more comfortable.  I'm not the type of person who has to spend the money just because I have it.  I'm willing to settle on a cheaper headphone if it meets my requirements!  Thanks again!

John

It all depends on what hardware do You have to plug the headphones to. Most of them won't sound good out of motherboard integrated soundcard.

Apr 27, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #30,530 of 48,562
  Sorry, I should have specified.  I have an O2 amp.  I'll be buying a sound card to act as a DAC as well.

It's much better idea to buy a cheap soundcard to act as a DSP only, and output processed signal to an external DAC via optical. Try Asus Xonar DG and whichever DAC with optical input You deem appropriate.

Apr 27, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #30,532 of 48,562
HD800's are in, I'll post some initial gaming opinions later or tomorrow. I will try to do my first mini review at some point in the future.

Apr 27, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #30,533 of 48,562
  I've heard good things about some of the hardware-driven sound cards, but I digress...

Any opinion on the headphones?

As for the soundcards, internal soundcard will be much more expensive than cheap soundcard + external dac + external amp of the same quality.

I am a wrong person to ask, since I have heard only a few of them. @Mad Lust Envy would be a better person to ask, he listened to them all.

Apr 27, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #30,534 of 48,562
  Do it like this guy:

http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=16461.2655

You have no idea how badly I want to do it because I love sennheiser but I've done a lot of research on this and on top of having to remove the locking mechanism inside the sennheisers, which I would have been fine with, but the 2.5 to 3.5 adapters that you use for this aren't built well. I've heard multiple complaints of the mic going out when you wiggle the cable around a bit. now usually I wouldn't mind but I've already owned my fair share of ****ty headphones and for once I just want something that's built nice. thanks for trying o help me out though I really do appreciate it.

Apr 27, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #30,535 of 48,562
  I've heard good things about some of the hardware-driven sound cards, but I digress...
Any opinion on the headphones?

The Asus Xonar DX sound card (used $50) comes with a nice CS4398 DAC chip :)
and Dolby Headphone surround sound.

So disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, install the Xonar DX sound card, then install the Unified Xonar Drivers.
http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/
Then connect the O2 to the DX and your headphones to the O2

I really like my AKG K7XX headphones, easily worth their $200 price (new or used).

Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 600-Ohm headphones.
current bid is $175.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111653880368?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I like the DT990 600-Ohm more then the DT990 250-Ohm version, but I would not pay more then $250 for the 600-Ohm version (new or used).
Other wise might as well get used DT990 Pro 250-Ohm for $150?

Philips Fidelio's seem to have well liked bass.

Apr 27, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #30,536 of 48,562

Fidelio X2 with a BoomPro should be just within that budget.

I would have gone for the Sennheiser HD558 and whatever mic works with it.
The HD558 will sell for used under $100.
Leaves a lot of leftover cash, like for buying more games for the PS4.

I just want to thank both of you (and this entire website) for being so fast in responding to posts and comments. For starters unfortunately the V-Moda boompro is the only mic I'm interested in a the moment so I cant use sennheisers headphones but thank you so much for the suggestion. I was looking into the Fidelio X2 on amazon and saw I can get them in very good condition on amazon for around 240 but then I noticed I can also get the V-Moda Crossfade M-100 for 170 so on one side I want to save money but on the other hand I don't even know how the M-100s stack up against the Fidelio X2. Can anyone help me out with this one I'm not sure which one is better?

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #30,537 of 48,562
  I just want to thank both of you (and this entire website) for being so fast in responding to posts and comments. For starters unfortunately the V-Moda boompro is the only mic I'm interested in a the moment so I cant use sennheisers headphones but thank you so much for the suggestion. I was looking into the Fidelio X2 on amazon and saw I can get them in very good condition on amazon for around 240 but then I noticed I can also get the V-Moda Crossfade M-100 for 170 so on one side I want to save money but on the other hand I don't even know how the M-100s stack up against the Fidelio X2. Can anyone help me out with this one I'm not sure which one is better?

Might try reading up and asking about the V-Moda's on this thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/592389/v-moda-m-100-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-etc

This eBay seller makes several aftermarket cables for Sennheiser headphones.
Might try contacting them and see if they will make you an adapter for the Sennheiser/ V-Moda setup.
http://www.ebay.com/usr/low20101020?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Apr 27, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #30,538 of 48,562

1. DT990
  2. Q701
  3. HE560

My requirements are:

1. Open headphones
  3. Decent bass
  4. Great soundstage

John

If you are used to your 700's, I would look at a pair of these and just spend your money on a decent soundcard if you need one!

Apr 27, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #30,539 of 48,562

I dunno, I might be biased. But I have owned the M100 before I got the X2 and, personally, it's not in the same league as the X2. It just sounded like a regular consumer headphone (Beats, Skullcandy, Bose) to me. Though it's definitely far more controlled in its frequencies than those other brands typically put out, just the sound signature wasn't my cup-o-tea. The bass is overwhelming. I'm not a basshead though, so that may be why I didn't like it. I know lots of people who love their M100 so I know it can't be as bad as I think it is.

Apr 27, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #30,540 of 48,562

I dunno, I might be biased. But I have owned the M100 before I got the X2 and, personally, it's not in the same league as the X2. It just sounded like a regular consumer headphone (Beats, Skullcandy, Bose) to me. Though it's definitely far more controlled in its frequencies than those other brands typically put out, just the sound signature wasn't my cup-o-tea. The bass is overwhelming. I'm not a basshead though, so that may be why I didn't like it. I know lots of people who love their M100 so I know it can't be as bad as I think it is.

I Think I understand what you mean, I'm not particularly a basshead either, in fact is the bass least of my worries, but let me run this by you because I don't think I ever specifically told you guys what I would be using this for. For the most part I play FPS games on my PS4 along with some RPG games (such as Fallout series, Elder scrolls series, and Witcher Series) which usually have nice surrounding ambiance and games such as Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy that usually have pretty epic orchestral pieces. so for the most part Im always trying to listen to my surrounding while every now and then taking in the world around me with the nice musical scores in the game. other than that music wise I generally listen to a broad spectrum everything from orchestras, Rock, House music, and pretty much everything in between but I usually dont get too bass heavy. So if you still think the X2's would be better for the applications ill be using it for than I guess I'm on board with spending a little extra.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back