Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 26, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #30,511 of 48,562
Yeah I don't suggest keeping the BoomPro on when you're not chatting anyways.

Apr 26, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #30,512 of 48,562
From everything I've gathered, this is correct. I will be purchasing a Valhalla 2 in the coming weeks once I recoup some money from the HD 800 purchase or sell my Fidelio X1 and boom pro mic which I have listed on the forums.

Everything Martiobionic Lasergalvanic Enforcer said is right. 

Let me put it this way though. HD 800 will still show its strengths on the X7 and not bow to any other similar phone because it's underpowered. So as I said, I quite enjoyed Cod:AW for instance. Is it ideal? No, is it still damn good. Yes it is.
I advise to get accustomed with X7 and HD 800 first for a good few months before you buy anything else. 

PLUS WE NEED  THAT HEADPHONE SBXed BINAURAL STEREO SIGNAL TO LINE OUT FIRST ANYWAYS before you buy a new amp and hook it up to the X7 to ENHANCE your gaming EXPerience. . 

Apr 26, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #30,513 of 48,562

Everything Martiobionic Lasergalvanic Enforcer said is right. 

Let me put it this way though. HD 800 will still show its strengths on the X7 and not bow to any other similar phone because it's underpowered. So as I said, I quite enjoyed Cod:AW for instance. Is it ideal? No, is it still damn good. Yes it is.
I advise to get accustomed with X7 and HD 800 first for a good few months before you buy anything else. 

PLUS WE NEED  THAT HEADPHONE SBXed BINAURAL STEREO SIGNAL TO LINE OUT FIRST ANYWAYS before you buy a new amp and hook it up to the X7 to ENHANCE your gaming EXPerience. . 

I will def take you up on that advice, you actually own the exact setup I am trying to achieve based on your signature. I want both the HD 800 and the TH 900 with basically the exact gear you have. I am halfway there!!

Apr 26, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #30,514 of 48,562
  Anyone with the BoomPro getting lower sound quality compared to other cables?

Voice quality is top notch. But as far as sound coming out goes, I notice bass is considerably woolier with the BoomPro than with my X2's stock cable.

Yes, it has an absurdly high resistance. I forget if it was over 100ohms or 1000ohm, lol. But again, this is for chat gaming, and I feel the resistance may be due to the mic channel being in the mix and maybe needing a higher resistance.

In any case, you guys need to remember that cable resistance is subtle when it comes to sound changes. BoomPro included. It doesn't make a headphone sound like crap. It's just not as good as a standard cable. When you're voice chatting, it's not like you're listening to the game loudly to begin with.

Funny thing, I came here and was about to ask if my BoomPro was "defective" because of this.

I'm really disappointed thought...really wanted to have my BoomPro as my only cable.
frown.gif

I don't want to swap cable when I play competitive or with friends with my X2.

I think I'm gonna put back my old "on-desk" $3 mic (which was as good as the Boompro mic during my test), and sell the BoomPro.

Thank you for answering him ^^

Apr 26, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #30,515 of 48,562
Funny thing, I came here and was about to ask if my BoomPro was "defective" because of this.

I'm really disappointed thought...really wanted to have my BoomPro as my only cable. :frowning2:
I don't want to swap cable when I play competitive or with friends with my X2.

I think I'm gonna put back my old "on-desk" $3 mic (which was as good as the Boompro mic during my test), and sell the BoomPro.

Thank you for answering him ^^

I swap cables all the time. Actually, all my headphones have an audio only cable/mic cable option. Even have a Neewer attached to one of my Shure cables for the 1540.

Apr 26, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #30,516 of 48,562
hi. first of all, ive loved reading this post, really helpful :)

I am searching for a solution to my console gaming needs, what headphone set up would you suggest for competitive ps4 gaming that will deliver incredible surround sound, precise placement detection and nice punchy bass explosions and seperate the highs from the lows and the subtle from the extreme?

the most important thing for me is surround sound  position and placement detection in competitive gaming and then any stellar pluses after that will round off a bonus package :)

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #30,517 of 48,562
  hi. first of all, ive loved reading this post, really helpful :)
I am searching for a solution to my console gaming needs, what headphone set up would you suggest for competitive ps4 gaming that will deliver incredible surround sound, precise placement detection and nice punchy bass explosions and separate the highs from the lows and the subtle from the extreme?
the most important thing for me is surround sound  position and placement detection in competitive gaming and then any stellar pluses after that will round off a bonus package :)

Budget?
For headphone surround sound for a gaming console, Astro Mix-amp is one option.
The Sennheiser HD558 is good for surround sound gaming, but only a moderate amount of bass.
Audio Technica ATH-AD900X, or the cheaper ATH-AD700X headphones.

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #30,518 of 48,562
my budget initially is £200 so if that only covers the investment of the cans then so be it as i see it as a long term investment and my grandma always said buy cheap buy twice lol within a month i could add 150 to purchase any peripherals needed like amp/mic etc.

ultimately i want to get the best competitive experience for the best price point i can :)

what is your opinion on the akg k701/ k702/ q701? as they have crept high up my list particularly the k701`s

i like the look and popular opinion of all 3 you suggested :)

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #30,519 of 48,562
  my budget initially is £200 so if that only covers the investment of the cans then so be it as i see it as a long term investment and my grandma always said buy cheap buy twice lol within a month i could add 150 to purchase any peripherals needed like amp/mic etc.
ultimately i want to get the best competitive experience for the best price point i can :)
what is your opinion on the AKG k701/ k702/ q701? as they have crept high up my list particularly the k701`s
I like the look and popular opinion of all 3 you suggested :)

The AKG 700 series are popular with FPS gamers, I myself got the AKG K7XX headphones and they easily worth the $200 I spent for them, I use them for music and videos, but have not been into gaming lately.
But the AKG 700 series are power hungry, a lot more then their low 62-Ohm rating would lead you to believe, so they need to be used with a decent headphone amplifier
Some think the AKG headphones they are more power demanding then 250-Ohm Beyer headphones.
Where as the 50-Ohm HD558 and 40-Ohm ATH-AD700X and 40-Ohm ATH-AD900X are easier to drive.
I would say the AD900X are good music headphones that can also do well with FPS gaming
The AD700Xs are fairly bass light, but everything else is nice about them (I own the older AD700s).
The HD558 offers a little more bass then the AD700X

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #30,520 of 48,562
Hi all so I'm in a predicament here and need some major help so to start off I first got to say this thread is amazing along with all the information it has given me.

Now to jump into my problem, I am currently gaming on my PS4 with some old Turtle Beach X41's I got early in the last console generation and as much as they have served me well they are outdated in many ways including audio quality. So I've been doing a lot of research and I Just dont think I want another pair of gaming headphones. Now I'm wiling to drop about 300 maybe even 350 on an entirely new setup. For starters I definitely want the V-Moda boompro which is at most 50 now the only problem is headset. I really wanted the sennheiser hd 598 but the way its made doesn't allow you to use the boompro if I am correct so My question to you guys is what headset and mixamp combo would you recommend with the boompro for under 300-350? any help would be much appreciated. this has been a problem that's plagued me for the past few weeks and I feel like I am so close to the answers I need.

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #30,521 of 48,562
  Hi all so I'm in a predicament here and need some major help so to start off I first got to say this thread is amazing along with all the information it has given me.

Now to jump into my problem, I am currently gaming on my PS4 with some old Turtle Beach X41's I got early in the last console generation and as much as they have served me well they are outdated in many ways including audio quality. So I've been doing a lot of research and I Just dont think I want another pair of gaming headphones. Now I'm wiling to drop about 300 maybe even 350 on an entirely new setup. For starters I definitely want the V-Moda boompro which is at most 50 now the only problem is headset. I really wanted the sennheiser hd 598 but the way its made doesn't allow you to use the boompro if I am correct so My question to you guys is what headset and mixamp combo would you recommend with the boompro for under 300-350? any help would be much appreciated. this has been a problem that's plagued me for the past few weeks and I feel like I am so close to the answers I need.

Fidelio X2 with a BoomPro should be just within that budget.

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #30,522 of 48,562

Now to jump into my problem, I am currently gaming on my PS4 with some old Turtle Beach X41's I got early in the last console generation and as much as they have served me well they are outdated in many ways including audio quality. So I've been doing a lot of research and I Just dont think I want another pair of gaming headphones. Now I'm wiling to drop about 300 maybe even 350 on an entirely new setup. For starters I definitely want the V-Moda boompro which is at most 50 now the only problem is headset. I really wanted the Sennheiser hd 598 but the way its made doesn't allow you to use the boompro if I am correct so My question to you guys is what headset and mixamp combo would you recommend with the boompro for under 300-350? any help would be much appreciated. this has been a problem that's plagued me for the past few weeks and I feel like I am so close to the answers I need.

I would have gone for the Sennheiser HD558 and whatever mic works with it.
The HD558 will sell for used under $100.
Leaves a lot of leftover cash, like for buying more games for the PS4.

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:40 AM Post #30,523 of 48,562

It is possible to use the BoomPro with the HD598. Buy this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gold-2-5mm-Male-to-3-5mm-Female-Stereo-Audio-Headphone-Jack-Adapter-Converter-fo-/291334001775?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item43d4dc146f

and You're set.

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #30,525 of 48,562

Users who are viewing this thread

Back