Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 25, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #30,497 of 48,562
You didn't like the X1/Boompro? I was planning on buying the exact same thing.

I liked it but my head is a little on he larger size and the x1's don't fit correctly. Plus I wanted an end game headphone and after I got my tax returns it was only a matter of time before I bought either the HD 800 or TH900.

Apr 25, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #30,498 of 48,562
X2 would fix your fit issues.The X1 was at it's absolute limit with my head AND metal bending. The X2 doesn't need anything.

Apr 25, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #30,500 of 48,562
Too late for me, X1 is already for sale on the forums and the HD 800 is already on its way. Also I purchased the HD650 from that awesome Amazon deal and I find it to be better then the X1 to my ears in every way, also way more comfortable and lighter. My opinion of course.

Apr 25, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #30,501 of 48,562
Hey guys, I just saw the Out of Your Head folks are looking for Beta testers for their PC gaming virtual surround sound software. I'm a console guy, so I can't really take advantage of it, but figured someone here might be interested.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/689299/out-of-your-head-new-virtual-surround-simulator/480#post_11543287

Apr 25, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #30,503 of 48,562
Just got my PS4 camera in, streaming with my 1540s if anyone wants to see how the alpha pads fit on my head and what not.

Beware, however, of ugly person wearing them.

Apr 25, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #30,504 of 48,562
Anyone with the BoomPro getting lower sound quality compared to other cables?

Voice quality is top notch. But as far as sound coming out goes, I notice bass is considerably woolier with the BoomPro than with my X2's stock cable.

Apr 25, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #30,505 of 48,562
Anyone with the BoomPro getting lower sound quality compared to other cables?

Voice quality is top notch. But as far as sound coming out goes, I notice bass is considerably woolier with the BoomPro than with my X2's stock cable.

If I remember correctly, Mad tested the output impedance on the Boompro and the results were not that good.

Apr 25, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #30,507 of 48,562
Yes, it has an absurdly high resistance. I forget if it was over 100ohms or 1000ohm, lol. But again, this is for chat gaming, and I feel the resistance may be due to the mic channel being in the mix and maybe needing a higher resistance.

In any case, you guys need to remember that cable resistance is subtle when it comes to sound changes. BoomPro included. It doesn't make a headphone sound like crap. It's just not as good as a standard cable. When you're voice chatting, it's not like you're listening to the game loudly to begin with.

As for KL712 and X2, the mids on the X2 are more integrated than the 712. The 712 has a bit of distance in the mids, so it's ot as flat as the X2 sounds. Otherwise, the K712 is a technically better headphone, with a larger soundstage.

Personally though, I like the tonality of the X2 more than the 712, and I feel it's not far behind in technicalities.

It'd take a lot for me to give up the X2 at this point. The 712 wouldn't be one I'd do it for.

Apr 25, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #30,508 of 48,562
Yes, it has an absurdly high resistance. I forget if it was over 100ohms or 1000ohm, lol. But again, this is for chat gaming, and I feel the resistance may be due to the mic channel being in the mix and maybe needing a higher resistance.

In any case, you guys need to remember that cable resistance is subtle when it comes to sound changes. BoomPro included. It doesn't make a headphone sound like crap. It's just not as good as a standard cable. When you're voice chatting, it's not like you're listening to the game loudly to begin with.

As for KL712 and X2, the mids on the X2 are more integrated than the 712. The 712 has a bit of distance in the mids, so it's ot as flat as the X2 sounds. Otherwise, the K712 is a technically better headphone, with a larger soundstage.

Personally though, I like the tonality of the X2 more than the 712, and I feel it's not far behind in technicalities.

It'd take a lot for me to give up the X2 at this point. The 712 wouldn't be one I'd do it for.

So you would suggest the X2's over the K712's for gaming and media? Im using it more so for gaming and im pretty close to pulling the trigger on the AKG's after research and reading your review. Also, im planning on using modi magni shciit stack - not sure if that alters the decision. And if it does, would another combo change that decision?

Apr 25, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #30,509 of 48,562
Magni and Modi.... A bit bright of a setup. The K712 has one problem for me, and it's the upper mid glare. The X2 is less fatiguing, but I'll still recommend the 712 for you.

Apr 25, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #30,510 of 48,562

Thanks. And yeah, it's not a problem at all for gaming. Can't tell the difference in-game. I was more referring to listening to music, where double-bass drums ended up blending together. But I'll just use the stock cable for music, so no biggie. I absolutely love the X2 for everything I throw at it and can't imagine upgrading anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back