Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 24, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #30,481 of 48,566
All this talk about equipment and thousands of dollars spent on sound and no real talk about which games are the best examples of great sound.

When you guys want to test your new headphone, amp/dac or soundcard, what games are you testing it with? What game has the best and most realistic reproduction of sound or what game is the most immersive?

If You're on PS4 then P.T is a pretty great game for audio testing

Apr 24, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #30,482 of 48,566
If You're on PS4 then P.T is a pretty great game for audio testing

Whatever system you personally use, I am gaming on my PC, when I am testing a game I am using CS:GO.

Apr 24, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #30,483 of 48,566
Well, I've seen some amazing CS pros out there, but it's not in my top-10 best audio games. Not in file quality, positional quality, and the treble crack hurts my ears.
I go through a lot of games. I used to really like SWAT mode on Reach, CoD4, these days I enjoy the surround with Bloodborne, Destiny, P.T., Borderlands 2, The Last of Us, and basically any game I'm currently on a playthrough. Fegefeur really likes the sound quality of Mirror's Edge and Call of Prypriat, and Mad has often talked about (the CoD games and) a particular part of Red Faction where he can build buildings and destroy them over and over. NamelessPFG swears by classic games with OpenAL support, like Bioshock and even older games.

Inseconds99, been awhile since we saw you in this thread.

Apr 24, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #30,484 of 48,566
Well, I've seen some amazing CS pros out there, but it's not in my top-10 best audio games. Not in file quality, positional quality, and the treble crack hurts my ears.
I go through a lot of games. I used to really like SWAT mode on Reach, CoD4, these days I enjoy the surround with Bloodborne, Destiny, P.T., Borderlands 2, The Last of Us, and basically any game I'm currently on a playthrough. Fegefeur really likes the sound quality of Mirror's Edge and Call of Prypriat, and Mad has often talked about (the CoD games and) a particular part of Red Faction where he can build buildings and destroy them over and over. NamelessPFG swears by classic games with OpenAL support, like Bioshock and even older games.

Inseconds99, been awhile since we saw you in this thread.

Yea man, sorry bro had some crazy stuff going on in life since the last time we spoke. I've been on the forums here and there but generally not as much. I hope everyone is doing well, I have been out of the video game buying scene as I have basically not purchased a game since destiny in September of last year.

I finally made a decision on my end game headphone which is the HD800 and I will have on Tuesday. I want to pickup some games to put that soundstage to its test.

Apr 24, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #30,485 of 48,566
Destiny has some good testing audio cues as well. The waterfalls between Mothyards and Forgotten Shore are a highlight.

Apr 24, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #30,487 of 48,566
Can anyone comment on the sound of GTA 5 on PC or just in general? Looking for some recommendations on same games to test out my 800's and my X7.

Apr 24, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #30,488 of 48,566
Can anyone comment on the sound of GTA 5 on PC or just in general? Looking for some recommendations on same games to test out my 800's and my X7.

I quite liked the surround on Titanfall on the Xbone.  Never played the PC version, but I suspect it's decently cheap at this point.  Not only were the positional cues really good (I could easily tell where shots were coming from), but the BASS when you were near a titan was eye-rattling with the right headphones!  lol

Apr 24, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #30,489 of 48,566
I quite liked the surround on Titanfall on the Xbone.  Never played the PC version, but I suspect it's decently cheap at this point.  Not only were the positional cues really good (I could easily tell where shots were coming from), but the BASS when you were near a titan was eye-rattling with the right headphones!  lol

I agree on this I have titanfall for the PC, got it for $5 on sale and it does sound great. I never reinstalled it after I restored my PC 2 months ago, that bad boy is 50 gigs on my ssd lol.

Apr 24, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #30,490 of 48,566

GTA 5 sounds great on pc this game is awesome I would say you'll really enjoy it with the x7 +800's good combo.. 

Apr 25, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #30,492 of 48,566
Cod AW is the first COD i enjoyed soundwise. Was quite immersive and finally samples worthy of a COD

I quite liked rhe campaign. Used X7 and HD 800

Apr 25, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #30,493 of 48,566
Cod AW is the first COD i enjoyed soundwise. Was quite immersive and finally samples worthy of a COD

I quite liked rhe campaign. Used X7 and HD 800

X7 is capable of driving the HD800? Wasn't it supposed to be good only for nondemanding headphones?

Apr 25, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #30,494 of 48,566
The X7 will work fine for the HD800. It has a 300ohm impedance, well within what the X7 can handle well. As for the huge impedance spike on the HD800, that may not be perfectly handled by the X7, but that would only result in less authority where the spike lives.

In any case, I probably wouldn't consider the HD800 the best headphone for the X7's slight lean tilt. I'm sure Feg is using his own stuff in addition to the X7 anyways.

Apr 25, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #30,495 of 48,566
The X7 will work fine for the HD800. It has a 300ohm impedance, well within what the X7 can handle well. As for the huge impedance spike on the HD800, that may not be perfectly handled by the X7, but that would only result in less authority where the spike lives.

In any case, I probably wouldn't consider the HD800 the best headphone for the X7's slight lean tilt. I'm sure Feg is using his own stuff in addition to the X7 anyways.

From everything I've gathered, this is correct. I will be purchasing a Valhalla 2 in the coming weeks once I recoup some money from the HD 800 purchase or sell my Fidelio X1 and boom pro mic which I have listed on the forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back