Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 7, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #30,211 of 48,578
my xonar dg died. Is fiio e10k a good choice now? or maybe one of xonars or asuses or omni ? I would prefer something external... as for dolby etd, I always only used xonar in hifi mode anyway
edit: ohhh I have brainwavz hm5

Apr 7, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #30,213 of 48,578
yeah xonar u7 is expensive, have mixed reviews and terrible volume wheel.
Omni, e10k, x-fi hd are all cheaper options with better reviews (well minus x-fi hd, that one is mixed bag)

Apr 7, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #30,214 of 48,578

Oh I assumed he meant to use it side-by-side with the DSS.

Now I'm confused.  I have no idea what kind of setup he's envisioning here.  I figured he wanted to use a DAC with USB from computer and optical from console.  This gives quality stereo sound from everything.  The DSS would be used on the side when surround is desired.

If you want to use a USB DAC on the PC and the DSS as the DAC on the console, you'd need an amp with multiple inputs, or something like a Schiit SYS to swap inputs manually as needed.

Whaaat?...

Okay. So FYI I don't want the X7 because it is too expensive and not portable enough. I do want to use a DAC with USB from PC and optical from console. I will connect and disconnect them as necessary from PC to console.  I didn't know if the DSS could be used in conjunction with a DAC...  I thought it could sometimes.  I read in the PC surround sound thread about people with sound cards hooked to external DACS.  That's surround sound going to another DAC.  But I can live with these being seperate. Not being snarky, go ahead and explain stuff to me like I'm a child who doesn't get how things work.

So.  To clear things up.  I will take this, and hook it up to my computer.  When I want to use it for my console, I will disconnect it from my computer, and connect it to my console.  Same deal for my phone.  So do I need a seperate amp?  Or will the amp in the e17k suffice?  And can I hook up through the dss and e17k to use it's amp?

Apr 7, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #30,215 of 48,578
Apr 7, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #30,216 of 48,578

Whaaat?...

Okay. So FYI I don't want the X7 because it is too expensive and not portable enough. I do want to use a DAC with USB from PC and optical from console. I will connect and disconnect them as necessary from PC to console.  I didn't know if the DSS could be used in conjunction with a DAC...  I thought it could sometimes.  I read in the PC surround sound thread about people with sound cards hooked to external DACS.  That's surround sound going to another DAC.  But I can live with these being seperate. Not being snarky, go ahead and explain stuff to me like I'm a child who doesn't get how things work.

So.  To clear things up.  I will take this, and hook it up to my computer.  When I want to use it for my console, I will disconnect it from my computer, and connect it to my console.  Same deal for my phone.  So do I need a seperate amp?  Or will the amp in the e17k suffice?  And can I hook up through the dss and e17k to use it's amp?

The DSS can't be used in conjunction with the DAC. Just buy the sound blaster E5. It's 200$ for a X7 that is basically portable with slightly less amp power and utility in it. It can drive up to 600 ohm headphones, so you shouldn't have any issues unless you're trying to drive a planar. You're basically trading the TRS output, speaker output, speaker taps, op-amp customization, and 5.1 speaker outputs for portable goodness. So just go with that.

Apr 8, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #30,218 of 48,578

Whaaat?...

The DSS can't be used in conjunction with the DAC. Just buy the sound blaster E5. It's 200$ for a X7 that is basically portable with slightly less amp power and utility in it. It can drive up to 600 ohm headphones, so you shouldn't have any issues unless you're trying to drive a planar. You're basically trading the TRS output, speaker output, speaker taps, op-amp customization, and 5.1 speaker outputs for portable goodness. So just go with that.

And headphone surround for consoles, E5 does not have a Dolby Digital decoder.

Apr 8, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #30,219 of 48,578

As Yethal said, the E5 doesn't decode a console's 5.1 Dolby output. The Creative E5 (CE5? Since FiiO also has an E5 and is prototyping an X7?) DOES have SBX and an optical input, but the optical input is stereo-only. The C E5 can process surround over USB with a computer, and console stereo, just not console surround. I'd personally get a cheaper processor (like an E3) and just buy a separate Turtle Beach DSS for the console, so I don't have to switch around where I'm plugged into.

Though I personally went with an X7.

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #30,220 of 48,578
  yeah xonar u7 is expensive, have mixed reviews and terrible volume wheel.
Omni, e10k, x-fi hd are all cheaper options with better reviews (well minus x-fi hd, that one is mixed bag)

anyone ?
Omni and e10k are my favs so far.
Omni is much more versitale thanks to line in, mic in and 2 mics on the device itself.
Fiio seems great too but no switching between headphones and speakers would be troublesome

Apr 8, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #30,222 of 48,578
I went with an X7 mostly for conveniece's sake. Since my PC and my consoles are close by, and are connected to the same screen, having two separate audio setups for PC and consoles seemed impractical.

Important stuff: X7 firmware update was released today.

Here are the patch notes:

What's New:
  1. Added support for the E-MU XM7 passive speakers
  2. Independent master volume setting for headphones and speaker
  3. Supports volume control of Optical Out in standalone mode
Fixes:
  1. Fixed USB audio playback issue on certain system
  2. Fixed noise issue when Bluetooth® is connected and not streaming
  3. Fixed soft audio output issue on internal mic
  4. Fixed audio switching issue between headphones and speaker
  5. Prevents speaker calibration from affecting headphones

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #30,223 of 48,578
  I went with an X7 mostly for conveniece's sake. Since my PC and my consoles are close by, and are connected to the same screen, having two separate audio setups for PC and consoles seemed impractical.

Important stuff: X7 firmware update was released today.

Here are the patch notes:

What's New:
  1. Added support for the E-MU XM7 passive speakers
  2. Independent master volume setting for headphones and speaker
  3. Supports volume control of Optical Out in standalone mode
Fixes:
  1. Fixed USB audio playback issue on certain system
  2. Fixed noise issue when Bluetooth® is connected and not streaming
  3. Fixed soft audio output issue on internal mic
  4. Fixed audio switching issue between headphones and speaker
  5. Prevents speaker calibration from affecting headphones

Did you upgrade it?
I didn't manage to switch the device to bootloader mode at the end. Didn't brick itself luckily but was freaked out a bit...

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #30,224 of 48,578
Did you upgrade it?
I didn't manage to switch the device to bootloader mode at the end. Didn't brick itself luckily but was freaked out a bit...

Upgraded with no issues, just unplug the power, hold down the power button, and then plug the power back in without letting go of the power switch.

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #30,225 of 48,578
  Upgraded with no issues, just unplug the power, hold down the power button, and then plug the power back in without letting go of the power switch.

Yeah. Did that. I'll try one more time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back