Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 26, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #29,956 of 48,562
  I don't think that is true. cmss 3d on the x fi line could do what you are describing, but sbx, I imagine, is a regression to a dolby headphone style of doing things, just because games these days don't give raw audio data to sound cards anymore.

I thought that, but Creative does own the CMSS stuff. It's also called 3DRecon or something on the Sound Blaster soundcards. I had to talk to a lot of customer reps about my X7 not wanting to accept 5.1 (I had the bitrate too high,) and they recommended constantly that I should keep it at 2.1 because 3D sound is game-dependent. I think BF4 was one of those that has a profile that the SBX takes advantage of, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Otherwise, it does resort to doing the dolby-headphone style of things, but it has the advantage of being a newer algorithm that has actually seen improvement over the years. There's nothing wrong with the Dolby headphone-way of things, as using static "speakers" makes it able to take any 5.1/7.1 signal, but Dolby just hasn't really improved their stuff since...god knows when.

Mar 26, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #29,957 of 48,562
  I thought that, but Creative does own the CMSS stuff. It's also called 3DRecon or something on the Sound Blaster soundcards. I had to talk to a lot of customer reps about my X7 not wanting to accept 5.1 (I had the bitrate too high,) and they recommended constantly that I should keep it at 2.1 because 3D sound is game-dependent. I think BF4 was one of those that has a profile that the SBX takes advantage of, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Otherwise, it does resort to doing the dolby-headphone style of things, but it has the advantage of being a newer algorithm that has actually seen improvement over the years. There's nothing wrong with the Dolby headphone-way of things, as using static "speakers" makes it able to take any 5.1/7.1 signal, but Dolby just hasn't really improved their stuff since...god knows when.

Some games have their own HRTF functionality (I believe BF4 is one of them), so for them you keep the soundcard on 2.1 because the game is outputting a stereo signal with the positional information already encoded within.

Mar 26, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #29,958 of 48,562
Well, I'm sad to say this is the end of my Fiio E17 adventure :frowning2:

Before I go to far - my setup is I have SPDIF from my Asus Xonar DG to the E17, then I use the V-Moda Splitter to plug the headset (Fidelio X1) into the E17 and the mic into the mic port of my Xonar DG soundcard.

I started noticing a high pitched sound that sounded like coil whine at higher volumes, so I began unplugging various devices. I noticed that when I turned off the LED lights on my new Corsaid K70, the whine was not quite as bad (but still present and distracting), so at first I thought it was that. Nope - I unplugged the keyboard altogether, and while not as loud the coil whine was still there.

Unplugged the mic - no more whine! Plug it back in, whine starts again. Here is where it gets interesting: For giggles I thought I try plugging both the headset and the mic into my soundcard - and the coil whine sound stopped!

In short, if use the E17 along with the mic splitter going to two different devices at the same time = coil whine. Unplug the mic and use the E17 just for headset = no coil whine. Plug both the headset and the mic into my soundcard = no coil whine.

I guess I'll be going without the E17 until I can get something figured out - which probably wont happen but you never know, right? And honestly, other than the max volume being a good deal more quiet there is no difference in audio quality I can tell using the soundcard compared to the E17.

Mar 26, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #29,959 of 48,562
Dolby Headphone and SBX are very similar. Dolby Headphone has better rear cues between 4-8 o clock, but has more reverb. The SBX sounds tighter, with clearer audio cues. Dolby Headphone adds a tad bit of warmth which aids the fullness of headphones, while the SBX has a slightly dry tone.

All in all, SBX is better, and good enough alternative for me. I miss the extra bit of rear distinction that is a clear win for Dolby Headphone, but overall the tradeoff is worth it, as SBX is still good in that regard, while sounding less processed.

I actually find SBX and THX Tru Studio very, very similar, with SBX having a more circular soundstage, with less akward transition from front cues to side cues.

Mar 26, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #29,960 of 48,562
Switched it out with a cable I had lying around so not sure if the replacement is much good but it didn't sound too different (if any).

Dang, sounds like you got a defective pair. Personally, I think it's worth doing an exchange for a new pair and giving the Fidelio X1 another chance. In my opinion, they're a clear upgrade from any of the other sets you mentioned.

If you go the AKG route, your going to need a serious amp to get sound that meets or exceeds what the X1 can do.

Mar 26, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #29,961 of 48,562
I would suggest the X2 instead. Its well known that the X1 has a bit of sloppiness in the bass which bleeds into the mids a tad. The X2 is simply much better at transitioning, as well as having a noticeable lift in clarity.

Mar 26, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #29,963 of 48,562
Any feedback on the sound on bloodborne? Bought the game on launch day (managed to get the last piece) but haven't had time to play it yet but gotta admit, I'm really curious how's the sound of the game specially with surround and everything specially considering the dark atmosphere the game has 
biggrin.gif

Since I'll only be able to try it out either this weekend or later next week, I'll apreciate any feedback about the sound, just to have a taste of what it's like 

Mar 27, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #29,964 of 48,562
I'm super sad to hear Kojima and Konami are parting ways... The new Silent Hill looked so good! I suppose the Silent Hill franchise is... Cursed? The P.T. is an excellent sound demo, btw.

Mar 27, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #29,965 of 48,562
So after a little research, I have narrowed down my research for IEM into these pairs. So, My priorities are- Gaming AND Music. Which would be perfect?

1) Vsonic GRO7 bass edition- legendary set no doubt, but how it would be for gaming?

2) Shure SE215 - All rounder and I like it for their durability as I travel a lot.

3) RHA MA750 - Almost same as shure but better, over the ear fit is a hassle ( or not?)

4) Senheisser Momentum In ear - recent review suggest lots of cod noises.

Really confused, I am not audiophile per se, but I do understand good music. Some of the games has really great soundtrack.
Also, I will be using these on my iphone 5 and lenovo y510p laptop.

Mar 27, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #29,966 of 48,562
I watched you for a while brah, you got drilled!

Yeah, man, but that was when I was just a minion. Now it's a totally different story :D

Any feedback on the sound on bloodborne? Bought the game on launch day (managed to get the last piece) but haven't had time to play it yet but gotta admit, I'm really curious how's the sound of the game specially with surround and everything specially considering the dark atmosphere the game has :D  

Since I'll only be able to try it out either this weekend or later next week, I'll apreciate any feedback about the sound, just to have a taste of what it's like 

Sound effects and positional cues are just as insane as the gameplay, meng. You should be thoroughly impressed!

Mar 27, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #29,968 of 48,562
I just sold my HD700 last week (too many headphones, needed money for something else).
The K712 and K612 actually beat it for soundstage and "out of your head holographic sense of realism," and have a little more "snap" impact and faster decay than the HD700, but the HD700 offers very good above-average soundstage plus very well-bodied and "thick" mids and bass. By comparison the AKGs airy-ness sounded more ephemeral/wispy. So while playing a game, directional cues still work well but the main thing you'll notice is how meaty your gunshot sounds are and monsters sound closer and more threatening...

Ultimately it came down to sonic preference, the K612 was a better value for me and I was hearing slightly better detail, refinement in bass decay, and soundstage, which are more important to me than "thicker" sound. I will say the AKGs sounded weird going back to after a few weeks exclusive with the HD700, but quickly personal preference chose the AKGs. Your preference may vary.

That is something I think I could get behind.
I tested the AKG 701 and while I liked it over all, I felt it was too thin for my tastes (and actually in the mids, not the bass).
I am aiming for a HD800 for my gaming, assuming Things dont go well with a certain girl that I want get to know, and since I play games 85% of the time, how a hp does in gaming is a very important thing for me.

Mar 27, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #29,969 of 48,562
VALHAHAHAHAHLLA 2 shipped. Finally. Should bere here tomorrow. Jawohl. 

Let's see what it really does to the HD 800. Vali was already good. 

Mar 27, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #29,970 of 48,562
All my gaming is done with virtual surround, as I mentioned on the first page. Dolby Headphone mainly, THX Tru Studio next, SBX just very recently (but now the main dsp used).

Can you/should you use virtual surround devices on consoles?    I am looking for new head hones (My cat chewed through the wires on my last pair) and I am looking for a replacement that has a detachable wire and open air (I think).

I play on my PS4, Xbox One and PC and would like for these to be used on all 3. I also run the sound through the controller rather than through the out on the receiver for both the PS and Xbox.

I may be leaning towards the X1 or Q 701 (I think they are both open back and detachable wires) ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back