Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 20, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #29,836 of 48,562
Am I the only one who finds these headphones overrated? I have the pro 250 ohm version for over a year. I started getting crackling but fixed the issue. Honestly I don't know why people think these are all that great.

It is a matter of your own taste. I think they are great. I never had problems with that  sharp BD Sound. In my collection are the Q701, HD 598, MA900 and the 990 and for gaming I would recommand them. I never had that feeling, that spotting the enemy was better with the Q701. In every other aspect I liked the 990 more. The Sony are the most comfortable, but not as good as the 990 for gaming.
I never use a surround simulation for Call of Duty, may be turning this of would help you.
But one bad Thing I had, the  cable broke, so I modded them with two 3,5mm connectors, so I can use the Denon D600 cables. (while soldering I killed one speakerunit, just very short heating is allowed, I was quick, but not quick enough
rolleyes.gif
).
Add BD T-90 to them and they are fantastic in comfort.

Mar 20, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #29,837 of 48,562
@AkyroZ

You definitely want to buy your headphones and mic separately.  Outside of a few exceptions, you will almost always get much better value, and performance buying a headset + mic rather than an all-in-one.

For headphones, I would look into the Phillips SHP-9500 on Massdrop if shipping isn't too bad to Turkey.  Otherwise I would look into the Superlux HD668Bs.  I have also heard that the Samson SR850s are excellent.  You can pair these with any reasonably priced microphone, even a pointed desktop mic for $5-$10 will get the job done.

Mar 20, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #29,838 of 48,562
  @AkyroZ

You definitely want to buy your headphones and mic separately.  Outside of a few exceptions, you will almost always get much better value, and performance buying a headset + mic rather than an all-in-one.

For headphones, I would look into the Phillips SHP-9500 on Massdrop if shipping isn't too bad to Turkey.  Otherwise I would look into the Superlux HD668Bs.  I have also heard that the Samson SR850s are excellent.  You can pair these with any reasonably priced microphone, even a pointed desktop mic for $5-$10 will get the job done.

thank you for your suggestion mate probably i will get Philips SHP-9500 =)

Mar 20, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #29,839 of 48,562
Am I the only one who finds these headphones overrated? I have the pro 250 ohm version for over a year. I started getting crackling but fixed the issue. Honestly I don't know why people think these are all that great.

Open headphones with a wide soundstage, clean bright sound and strong bass impact at around 150 bucks is overrated? Trust me these are all but overrated, at this price range it's hard to find something like this. Of course you'll need to realise that these are pushing headphones so you'll need a good setup with a powerfull amp to get the best ouf of them. Tube amps for example do a great combo with them... and one thing I noticed but this might just be me, I find that for console gaming these sound really incredible but wasn't much impreseed on the PC... probably cause I have a crappy soundcard but still on the console these are great and the surround sound is pretty immersive but on the PC the surround sound sounded weak for some reason

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #29,840 of 48,562
  Open headphones with a wide soundstage, clean bright sound and strong bass impact at around 150 bucks is overrated? Trust me these are all but overrated, at this price range it's hard to find something like this. Of course you'll need to realise that these are pushing headphones so you'll need a good setup with a powerfull amp to get the best ouf of them. Tube amps for example do a great combo with them... and one thing I noticed but this might just be me, I find that for console gaming these sound really incredible but wasn't much impreseed on the PC... probably cause I have a crappy soundcard but still on the console these are great and the surround sound is pretty immersive but on the PC the surround sound sounded weak for some reason

This isn't a knock on consoles (since I just spent too much on new headphones specifically for them myself), but there's currently nothing as a comparable solution to this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132010

Mar 21, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #29,842 of 48,562
@ Mad Lust Envy

I'm having a hard time deciding between Fidelio X2 vs SRH1540 for my next headphone. They both sound like decent set of cans judging from your favorable comments, and I would really appreciate it if you could give me some advice.

How would you compare Fidelio X2 vs SRH1540 in terms of pure SQ? (Ignoring open vs closed) I would assume X2 to be better overall, but how close is the difference? SRH1540 does seem overpriced at $500, but I'm willing to pay more if SRH1540 = X2 + Isolation (no sound leakage).

Also, I've read SRH1540 suffers from bass distortion at high volumes... Just how 'bad' is this phenomenon? Is this a deal-breaker?

Thank you in advance!

Mar 21, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #29,843 of 48,562
@CookiePrime

I recently just bought the X1 because I got a great deal on it thanks to a generous member of this forum.  I am loving them a lot, and if the X2s are even better, they sound like a no-brainer to me.  However, they do leak sound because they are open back headphones, even at a medium volume, they are fairly audible off your head. 

Is your goal to not disturb others around you which is why you want isolation?

Mar 21, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #29,844 of 48,562
  @CookiePrime

I recently just bought the X1 because I got a great deal on it thanks to a generous member of this forum.  I am loving them a lot, and if the X2s are even better, they sound like a no-brainer to me.  However, they do leak sound because they are open back headphones, even at a medium volume, they are fairly audible off your head. 

Is your goal to not disturb others around you which is why you want isolation?

The other way round actually - I do not want my roomates to hear what track I'm listening to, I am a shy guy :)

X2 ticks all the boxes for me - except being an open can. I've owned Grado SR-80 before and it leaked sound like crazy. This time I want a closed can for this reason but X2 is just too good to pass at $300.

Mar 21, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #29,845 of 48,562
The 1540 is more like the X1 in terms if tonality. The X2 is more balanced.

I dunno man, I like the X2 pretty much more than anybother open headphone I've owned, simply because it does all things incredibly well. The 1540 is still recessed in the mids, and the bass is a bit rough at loud volumes.

No headphone is perfect anyways. Hell the TH600 and 900 have that rough spot at 5khz.

I suggest getting the 1540 due to it being closed. Its still technically more capable than the X2, just iffy down low with high volume. The X2 is iffy up top with high volume, so again, nothing is perfect.

Mar 21, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #29,846 of 48,562
The 1540 is more like the X1 in terms if tonality. The X2 is more balanced.

I dunno man, I like the X2 pretty much more than anybother open headphone I've owned, simply because it does all things incredibly well. The 1540 is still recessed in the mids, and the bass is a bit rough at loud volumes.

No headphone is perfect anyways. Hell the TH600 and 900 have that rough spot at 5khz.

I suggest getting the 1540 due to it being closed. Its still technically more capable than the X2, just iffy down low with high volume. The X2 is iffy up top with high volume, so again, nothing is perfect.

Thanks for the input MLE. 

The bass distortion was bothering me but I've made up my mind now :)

Mar 21, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #29,847 of 48,562
  This isn't a knock on consoles (since I just spent too much on new headphones specifically for them myself), but there's currently nothing as a comparable solution to this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132010

Of course an asus xonar is an even better solution, I personally haven't had experience with one of these but I'm sure these do a good combo with the dt990 aswell

Mar 21, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #29,848 of 48,562
First time poster here, but browsed on and off for a while.

I bought a pair of Samson SR850's a few weeks ago and they're pretty nice. But I'm wondering if I should splash out a bit more and get some better headphones.

Main use would be gaming on the Xbox One, with music on my PC and movies (connected to onboard sound) not far behind in usage. Music taste is pretty wide but I do like decent bass. I've also just bought an Astro Mixamp which should arrive next week so I should be able to drive headphones a bit more.

Budget around £150 maybe? I could stretch a little more if the difference would be worth it. But being able to pick out individual sounds, good soundstage and bass on the PS4 would be ideal.

I'm considering the AKG K702's which are £149 on Amazon. Or Fidelio X1's in very good condition for £139?

Mar 21, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #29,849 of 48,562
@DagsJT

The Samson SR850s are very similar to the Superlux 668Bs which I own.  I recently, just upgraded from the Superluxs to a used Fidelio X1 and I am very pleased.  I got it at a great used price, it is in excellent condition, and I got a very nice improvement all around, most prominently in the bass.

The X1 seriously does everything well.  I can switch from genre to genre seamlessly without issue.  The only complaint if I had to pick one, is that the bass is kind of one-note-ish, with a big "ish".  The bass is definitely prominent, and satisfying for the songs, movies, and games that demand it.

The X1 also sounds fantastic off of my on board sound, possibly even better than with my FiiO E10K, so no amping is required.  I will give the nod to the E10K with the bass boost though when listening to House and Rap.  I have an Asus Z97-AR motherboard that uses: Realtek ALC892 7.1-channel audio with Crystal Sound 2.

I don't have experience with the AKG 702s, so I can't speak to the quality of them, but based on what I have read, the AKG will not have the bass of the Fidelio.  It will have a better soundstage, but the X1 is no slouch, its very good.

My vote goes for the X1 if you can get one in good condition used.  Also, buy a new cable for the X1, the included one is terribad.

Mar 21, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #29,850 of 48,562
  @DagsJT

The Samson SR850s are very similar to the Superlux 668Bs which I own.  I recently, just upgraded from the Superluxs to a used Fidelio X1 and I am very pleased.  I got it at a great used price, it is in excellent condition, and I got a very nice improvement all around, most prominently in the bass.

The X1 seriously does everything well.  I can switch from genre to genre seamlessly without issue.  The only complaint if I had to pick one, is that the bass is kind of one-note-ish, with a big "ish".  The bass is definitely prominent, and satisfying for the songs, movies, and games that demand it.

The X1 also sounds fantastic off of my on board sound, possibly even better than with my FiiO E10K, so no amping is required.  I will give the nod to the E10K with the bass boost though when listening to House and Rap.  I have an Asus Z97-AR motherboard that uses: Realtek ALC892 7.1-channel audio with Crystal Sound 2.

I don't have experience with the AKG 702s, so I can't speak to the quality of them, but based on what I have read, the AKG will not have the bass of the Fidelio.  It will have a better soundstage, but the X1 is no slouch, its very good.

My vote goes for the X1 if you can get one in good condition used.  Also, buy a new cable for the X1, the included one is terribad.

Ordered the X1's. Just constantly seeing great comments about them so fingers crossed I like them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back