Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 18, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #29,776 of 48,565
Ok, so a few more tests (both are hooked up directly to both the X7's headphone jacks, so I can swap in an instant):

TH900 is slightly more sensitive in volume than the TH600. You can't simply leave the volume in the same spot. Loudness wars and all that. So yes, at the same volume spot on an amp, the TH900 will automatically win due to a slightly higher db level.

That aside, once you readjust for the less sensitive TH600, I can compare better. There I hear some definite differences.

The TH900 is unquestionably wider AND deeper in the soundstage, I tried various tracks as well as gaming tests in virtual surround. In direct comparison, the TH600 actually sounds more closed in (which I thought impossible, as it has a very damn good soundstage itself). The TH900 projects a soundstage that reaches actually/noticeably further out in width most noticeably, and slightly further in front and behind. I can now hear the difference even if I were to blind test.

Through some more tests AND pink noise, you can tell the TH900 is more tubey in sound, with a smoother sound. It definitely has a hint of warmth over the TH600. Both still have some crisp treble.

What the TH900 has over the TH600 that makes it worthwhile, is a sense of dynamic energy that actually makes the TH600 sounds just slightly dull, next to it. Hard to explain. Also like it were being underdriven, if that makes sense. Not that it is the truth, as the TH600 is plenty dynamic with energy, just... NEXT to the TH900. The TH900 has a sense of musicality slightly more engaging...

I mean, you can't even deny it once you hear it.

So yes, the TH900 IS an improvement over the TH600, though I still stand by saying they sound very similar, with a slight tonal shift between them, the TH600 being slightly more dry, and brighter as the immediate differences.

Again, don't feel bad if you went with the TH600. You're getting a LOT of the TH900 sound. If you love it and decide in the future you want that last bit of refinement in smoothness, soundstage, and dynamics, the TH900 will be for you. I wouldn't be mad if I were 'stuck' with the TH600. However, now having the TH900, I do see the worth of jumping up, though it's still a bit exorbitantly priced. If the TH900 looked exactly the same as the TH600, I'd value it at $200-$300 more for the improvement, but that's just me. I know the price for improvements jumps up considerably at these price ranges.

If there were ever a reason why I had to get rid of the TH900 for any reason, I would be more than happy to downgrade to the TH600. It is a banger. I would say to you guys on the guide to try the TH600 first, for sure.

Mar 18, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #29,777 of 48,565
I'm happy for you man. Finally where I wanted you to be. 
evil_smiley.gif

Let me tell you. You will be amazed even years from now.

Mar 18, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #29,778 of 48,565
I simply can't believe how exquisite the bass is without having the drawbacks of a basshead headphone or of a headphone lacking in emphasis. It is simply an ideal solution for people like me.

It's different from the D7000, yet it has a similarity that can't be denied. It makes it a much better all rounder, though I will still miss the extra injection of vibrant bass on the D7K for certain things.

Still, if I had to choose nowadays, it's definitely the TH900. It is the evolved form of what I loved about the D7K with my more matured taste in refinement.

Mar 18, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #29,779 of 48,565
I guess @AxelCloris ad I have something to look for next week at Canjam.  I was considering the PM-3 as an upgrade for my work setup.  Might be worth thinking about the extra $100 for the TH600.  

Are they as huge and bulky looking as they seem from the photos?  I really don't want my work setup to be conspicuous.  That means things like the ZMF and Alpha Dogs are out...

Mar 18, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #29,780 of 48,565
  I guess @AxelCloris ad I have something to look for next week at Canjam.  I was considering the PM-3 as an upgrade for my work setup.  Might be worth thinking about the extra $100 for the TH600.  

Are they as huge and bulky looking as they seem from the photos?  I really don't want my work setup to be conspicuous.  That means things like the ZMF and Alpha Dogs are out...

My thoughts exactly. I'll give the TH600 a listen next week. I'm assuming it'll be too bassy for my tastes but I'd be happy to be pleasantly surprised.

Mar 18, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #29,783 of 48,565
Considering the fact that other (and cheaper) soundblaster cards can output virtual surround through S/PDIF it seems only logical for the X7 to be capable of that. I hope they'll add that functionality soon.

Mar 18, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #29,784 of 48,565
  Considering the fact that other (and cheaper) soundblaster cards can output virtual surround through S/PDIF it seems only logical for the X7 to be capable of that. I hope they'll add that functionality soon.

My theory is they saw people using the X7 with the optical out as more of a "to a receiver" kind of thing.

Doesn't justify **** though.

Mar 18, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #29,785 of 48,565
I don't know, Maybe I am wrong but After inspecting many sound cards with virtual surround, I have come to the conclusion that newer surround algorithms can make virtual surround out of merely stereo[two channels] ... SBX and DHT 4.0 for instance.

You might argue that by lowering the bit rate you can set the input channels to 5.1/7.1 but I think that is the case because the sound card also has 5.1/7.1 true surround output so the 5.1/7.1 input part is for true surround only....the creative Omni and Xonar U7 are good examples.

Think about it this way : Imagine you have a true 7.1 speaker setup as well as an stereo setup, with the 7.1 setup you don't hear anything extra, you hear exactly the same things that you hear in a stereo setup....the difference being that the game software can turn the sound into 7.1 channels.

maybe there is some sort of a new upmatrixing technology, much like Pro Logic II(x), perhaps more advanced, that can turn any stereo into virtual surround.

again, I Don't know for sure, just a thought.

Mar 18, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #29,786 of 48,565
I simply can't believe how exquisite the bass is without having the drawbacks of a basshead headphone or of a headphone lacking in emphasis. It is simply an ideal solution for people like me.

It's different from the D7000, yet it has a similarity that can't be denied. It makes it a much better all rounder, though I will still miss the extra injection of vibrant bass on the D7K for certain things.

Still, if I had to choose nowadays, it's definitely the TH900. It is the evolved form of what I loved about the D7K with my more matured taste in refinement.

quick question, do the TH600/900 vibrate when a lot of sub bass is present? I have the SZ's and they vibrate a lot in the sub bass area (they are considered to be at a similiar level to the TH when it comes to bass so just wondering if that happens with the TH... would be impressive(and immersive) considering their clarity and everything

Mar 18, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #29,787 of 48,565
Yes, they have a very pleasing vibration. Not as much as the D7000, but in the same 'family' of bass.

I'd like to say that the TH600 has a slightly stronger midbass. Probably why the TH900 sounds cleaner.

Mar 18, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #29,788 of 48,565
Just got a Astro Mixamp Pro base off your review.
Unless you crank it up really the hissing/noise floor is bearable.
Works great with my V-Moda M100 with the PS3. Too scared to try it with my TH-900. Afraid I might drop them in the heat of the battle.

Turtle Beach DSS (old version) I've still got one of these. I'm confused why on earth any company would even release it to the public.
The noise is so bad at any volume level. It some how manage to make everything you listen through it worst.

Mar 19, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #29,789 of 48,565
How do you drop them? Heat of the battle? How are you actually playing? Are you jumping around and do barrel rolls?

Mar 19, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #29,790 of 48,565
How does the bass on the AKG K712 Pro sound compared to the Alpha Dogs?  The ADs are more of a totally neutral sound, which is fine for most things, but are really lacking bass for action movies.  I just picked up the Sony HW700ds (50mm driver) mostly for the Wii U, and just to see how the surround field compared to Dolby Headphone with my Essence STX.  I don't really like the virtualization that Sony uses as much as Dolby Headphone or DTS Headphone X, because the "center" sounds like it's inside your head; but I can't honestly tell if it's the virtualization or the headphones themselves.  Regardless, aside from the center sounding way off, everything else is actually pretty well done.  One area that is absolutely excels at though is bass, and not at the cost of drowning out the other frequencies.  Explosions in action movies actually sound like explosions.  In fact, these sound way better than the Ultrasone Pro 900 (IMO) for action movies overall, cost $100 less and come with the decoder/HDMI matrix box.

I was fine with the ADs, amped with a Lyr until I started watching movies with the Sony cans, but considering I can't hook up any other headphones to the Sony box, I can't really test any others with it and I need something else for Dolby Headphone.  If there is actually anything that has a great sound field with actual bass.  When I purchased the ADs, it was a toss up between those and the K712 Pro, but I'm not really looking for another anemic, but "wide" headphone.  I have my DT880s for that; which are also perfectly fine for gaming.  I actually don't need another pair of gaming headphones, but there's not really any other threads dedicated to DH.

Hmm, should I actually be looking at the TH900 instead?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back