Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 9, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #29,506 of 48,562
Why did you get the PC363 if you got the X1? I would've just bought a boompro mic for it, and swap cables when you're gaming with chat...

Mar 9, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #29,507 of 48,562
yeah Badboy,

that's a bit too much blowing money away for nothing. 

Mar 9, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #29,508 of 48,562
I've been playing Destiny, mostly for headphone testing, and picking out some areas with easy to manipulate audio cues.

The Shure 1540 definitely can't compete with the X2's rear depth. I mean, not at all. It's very good at it, but I may have to boost the X2's competitive score, simply by the noticeable ease of rear distinction compared to the 1540. Probably an 8.75 vs an 8.

I won't be writing a full comparison, as they aren't exactly comparable in sound sig, open vs closed, etc. I am close to packing up the 1540, but I'm gonna at least hold out for the TH600 first, for pad swapping/testing.

Mar 9, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #29,511 of 48,562
Hello, long time fan of the guide and I recommend it any chance I get.

I am looking for some new headphones and am having a difficult time figuring out what it is that I want.  I currently have some Superlux HD668Bs(with velour pads, love the velour) paired with a FiiO E10K.  I love the Superlux, for $30, these headphones are so effing amazing.  They sound way above what their price would suggest, but they are still lacking in some areas.  For a budget headphone, they are perfect, but I'm moving past the budget phase. I would love it if you did a review on the Superlux HD668Bs.  Hopefully they will be available on Massdrop again soon.

Part of the reason I have held off on buying new cans is because I want to make sure I am getting an upgrade.  Some of the headphones I have tried in stores, mostly Sennheisers don't warrant the $200+ price tag, because I am not hearing a $200 improvement in sound over my Superluxs.  It could be because the in-store trial pairs aren't amped properly, or because they aren't sampling something that is really relevant to what I like, there is always some really obscure never heard of before music being played whenever I go.  I do care a lot about price to performance, but I also care about the better sounding product based on my criteria outlined below.

I had previously been looking at just open back headphones, but if closed back headphones are going to give me what I want, then I'm all ears, I'm not as familiar with the closed ones though.  I won't be going in public with these headphones, this is not for an office setting, this is for personal at home use.

I mostly listen to music with my headphones.  Specifically House, Rock, R&B, Rap, Classical, Blues, Pop, pretty much anything but country.  I do want whatever headphones I get to be able to play everything reasonably well.  I'm not going to be investing in multiple pairs of headphones, I just want one that will see me through for many years.  I really enjoy powerful, crisp and clear vocals.  I don't want anything to sound muddled, I want everything to be well represented and work together in synergy. I like to hear details. I like bass, I definitely want there to be enough bass, not too much that it overpowers, but definitely not lacking like I feel my Superluxs are.

Games, I play a wide variety, mostly RPG and FPS, but I dabble in it all.  I do want to be able to locate an enemy based on sound when playing an FPS, but I am not so hardcore that I need to have perfect circumfral awareness, I definitely don't want it to be lacking in this department.

I also watch TV shows and movies, but not as often, and not as much of a priority as music and games.  Something that I really enjoy about the Superluxs, and was enhanced by the FiiO E10K is how good audio in shows and movies sound.  When there is a phone ringing, you can tell where in relation the phone is ringing based on the position of the microphone on the actor or boom.  I also like being able to recognize the sound signature of a room that the actors are in.  Whether it is genuine or if they did a voice over, I can tell because of how crystal clear the sound is.  If they are in a car, a basement, or a conference room, it really shows up with the Superluxs and it makes a difference to me.  I love this.  Its an immersion thing for me.  It brings the show to life and brings me into the situation that the actors are in.  One thing I find lacking is that when an explosion goes off in a movie or game, I am not feeling the boom that should be there, and I would really like it to be.

Overall, immersion is the most important thing to me.  I want to be put right in the center of the action.  I want to be in the game, or in the show.  I want music to wash over and envelope me.  Transcend me to the recording studio where the masterpiece is being made.  "A masterpiece, a masterpiece, they've got to write a masterpiece to pay the reeent!" 

I'm not looking to spend more than $300, and I won't be buying another pair of headphones for some time after this initial pair.  I am not looking to upgrade from the FiiO E10K. I'd previously been looking at the the Phillips Fidelio X2($300) or HD600($255) on the high end, the Massdrop AKG K7XX($200) as mid range, and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros 250Ohm($150) as low end, but I'm wondering if maybe I need a closed headset to give me what I am looking for detailed above.

Without being able to try all of these headphones, it is an impossible ask, but I ask nonetheless because I have no way to do the testing myself.  I just hope my description of listening habits and preferences are good enough indicators for you to make a recommendation, and please feel free to recommend something that is not on the list.  The only research I can do is reading reviews about these headphones, so I am in your guys hands, those who have tried a myriad of different cans to give me your recommendation.  I hate it having to come to this, especially with sensory products like headphones, keyboards, mice, it is so user specific, but I have no way of trying these out for myself.

There is also a deal for some fairly used Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250Ohms for $125(no case/bag), but I'm trying to talk him down.  It is an online purchase, so I wouldn't be able to test them out, and he has admittedly called their condition "meh".  I don't know if he is referring to the sound quality, or the appearance, but I would be the 3rd owner.  Is buying used headphones ok?  Or should I go for new?  I do have Amazon Prime, so returns through Amazon won't be a hassle.

Thank you for taking the time to read through my lengthy post, I'm really at an impasse on how to proceed.  Others have recommended me to order a bunch of headphones and return the ones I don't like, but I'm not that flush with cash that I can do that.  I just want a jack of all trades headphone that will fit my listening habits, and fit them well, while lasting me at least 3 years.

All the headphones you mentioned are very good. I'd caution you away from the Beyers as they have a " love it or hate it" sound, so not good to buy without listening first.

I admit that the first headphone that came to mind when reading your post was the HD650/600. Those are amazing for the price and can be endgame for many people. Not the best at pure competitive, but you don't want that anyhow.

The one thing to note with both the Senns and the AKG is that you'll really want an amp to get the best out of them. X2 should work better without one.

Mar 9, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #29,512 of 48,562
Why did you get the PC363 if you got the X1? I would've just bought a boompro mic for it, and swap cables when you're gaming with chat...
I have the boom pro mic, I starting to collect! I'm collector of Controllers ,Arcade Sticks and I starting now with headphones/headsets!
[/IMG]

Mar 9, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #29,513 of 48,562
Oh. I get antsy when I have too many things. I TRY to my stuff to a minimum.

So close on pulling the trigger on the X7, but wanna hold out until and if I even sell the Mixamp. The E17 and PS3 are gone, so we'll see.

Mar 9, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #29,514 of 48,562
  Since Xbox One does not output chat audio via USB it should work the same as with PS4

Xbox Headset Adapter > 3.5mm mic/headphones splitter > mic end > microphone
Xbox Headset Adapter > 3.5mm mic/headphones splitter > headphones end > 3.5mm to rca cable > rca input on the X7

As for the AC adapter, the cable itself can be replaced with a longer one if necessary as it uses the standard dual pin power plug (the same as the one on the back of the PS4).

Thanks. AC adapter for the X7 is dual pin? I thought it is a standard 24V power supply?

Mar 9, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #29,516 of 48,562
What's the top 5 let's say headphones to have for Gaming and everthing else you. Describe with number 1,2,3 and so on! Thx

Here's my top 5 for gaming:

1. HE-400i
2. SRH1840
3. K712/702AE/K7XX
4. K612
5. HP200

Honorable mentions: X2, X1

Disclaimer: YMMV

Mar 9, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #29,517 of 48,562

Since Xbox One does not output chat audio via USB it should work the same as with PS4

Xbox Headset Adapter > 3.5mm mic/headphones splitter > mic end > microphone
Xbox Headset Adapter > 3.5mm mic/headphones splitter > headphones end > 3.5mm to rca cable > rca input on the X7

As for the AC adapter, the cable itself can be replaced with a longer one if necessary as it uses the standard dual pin power plug (the same as the one on the back of the PS4).

Thanks. AC adapter for the X7 is dual pin? I thought it is a standard 24V power supply?

This type of connector right here. The cable between the adapter and the wall outlet can be swapped for a longer one if needed.

Mar 9, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #29,518 of 48,562
What's the top 5 let's say headphones to have for Gaming and everthing else you. Describe with number 1,2,3 and so on! Thx

Mad used to have some top 10 lists in the guide, but removed them.  Looking at your question now, I can see why.  Not only is is super subjective, it's also really unclear whether you want two lists (one for gaming and one for everything else) or one list of good all-arounders.  In addition, "competitive gaming" (i.e. sound whoring) requires a very specific sound quality, which is generally not good for all-around use.  So you'd have to specify what kind of gaming you want it for.  Also, budget is always an important point, otherwise we could just recommend the SR-009 or HE-1000 and call it a day.

Mar 9, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #29,519 of 48,562
^You're overanalyzing this, like always.

Edit: My list was strictly gaming, though, out of the ones I've owned/tried...

Edit 2: Top 5 all rounders

1. K712/K702AE/K7XX
2. X2/X1
3. SRH1540
4. Mad Dog
5. HP100/HP150

Users who are viewing this thread

Back