Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 24, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #29,177 of 48,562
The AD700x is the AD700 with a different color scheme, and more plastic used. It is still the same sound. Don't waste money on the older one.

Ah, thanks for saving me $80, and for your guide(it's pretty awesome).

I actually prefer my SennHD558s, over my AD700, as the HD558 have a little more bass.

I am a bit concerned over the AD700x's lack of 'fun'. Compared to the HD558, is the AD700x much better for competitive gaming?  Which do you prefer for comfort?

Quote:
  Inspectre, if you want a AD700x but slightly more enjoyable, the Sennheiser G4me One is just a rebadged HD598 with a good mic.

Actually I did buy an antlion mic, do you think you would say that the Sennheiser HD598 is as competitive as the AD700x?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to see all my options real quick as I have to purchase soon.

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #29,178 of 48,562
  Inspectre, if you want a AD700x but slightly more enjoyable, the Sennheiser G4me One is just a rebadged HD598 with a good mic.

Actually I did buy an antlion mic, do you think you would say that the Sennheiser HD598 is as competitive as the AD700x?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to see all my options real quick as I have to purchase soon.

I have the exact same setup and I am very pleased with it's quality. Go for it You won't be disappointed.

On a completely unrelated note, I just ordered Creative X7. I'm already pretty happy with my current setup, but let's face it, these are four different devices stacked on top of each other,they take up two wall outlets and use 9 cables to wire it up. Plus, I'd have to buy yet another little box to connect it to a set of speakers, complicating it even further.

I love these little boxes as they were my first audiophile (if only entry level) gear but adding even a small speaker amp would make the setup complexity meter go up to eleven. So I decided to replace them with an all-in-one device that would perform all of their duties and more. I hope they will find a new home with someone who will appreciate how great they are for their price and size.

[EDIT]. Jeez, I think I just described a ******* Schiit stack with level of subtlety previously reserved only for girlfriends/wives.

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #29,179 of 48,562
Glad someone else is noticed how amazing the mids are. There's a lot of people that seem t think they are pretty U shaped and others who just basically say the mids are well integrated. I found the mids one of the best in the price range. Not quite as magical as the HD650's but bloody good. I found vocals to sound really up close and personal! Compared to the HD650 they are a little drier sounding. 

I also own the K7XX and Annie and found they compete well. The HE400i wins in bass for me when it comes to presence. The K7XX did seem to extend a tad further in some tracks. Mids went to the HE400i for me but only just. 

Feb 24, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #29,180 of 48,562
Having less bass than the 7XX is an issue i don't want out of a $500 headphone. I consider the 7XX's bass as my limit for how i want my bass. I love magical mids, but not when the bass is weaker.

Feb 24, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #29,181 of 48,562
Having less bass than the 7XX is an issue i don't want out of a $500 headphone. I consider the 7XX's bass as my limit for how i want my bass. I love magical mids, but not when the bass is weaker.

I had to look up the FR graphs because I've had both the K712, HE400i AND the HE400 at the same time, and didn't remember the K712 having more bass than any of them.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE4002014.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK712.pdf

And the LCD 2 rev 2 C

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCD2Rev2.pdf

And the HE400

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE400.pdf

The K712/KXX has the almost the same about of mid-bass as the HE400i. It's just that the HE400i is very linear in the bass, and reaches VERY low. This makes it SEEM like there's less bass because everything has an equal amount of presence (which you can even see on the 30hz square wave that it has more.) The K712, on the other hand, has a large mid-bass hump compared to the sub-bass, making it seem like it has more bass despite having less...as it the boomy part just has more presence than the low rumbles. The HE400 has slightly more/deeper bass than both of them, but not as much compared to the HE400i. The HE400i is basically a more intimate, balanced out HE500, which honestly had other qualities in it that made up for the hair sized shaving off of the bass.

Plus, you shouldn't be buying it new. Buy it from Razordog on Ebay for like 395$. Brian just resells immediate returns and show items as B-stock with full warranty and return benefits. http://www.ebay.com/itm/HiFiMAN-HE-400i-full-size-Planar-Magnetic-headphone-AUTHORIZED-DEALER-/121576908268?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4e8c65ec

Feb 24, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #29,182 of 48,562
I only noticed it with ceetain songs but there is def a roll off in the sub bass that makes me wish ot had the HE400's bass. If you still have the LCD2 then I doubt you would be too impressed. Still I suppose it's good to experience as much as possible.

Since you like mids and bass try the Focal Spirit classic if you feel like venturing into closed. Great mids! Like liquid gold and great bass. If it wasn't for the tight fit that irritated my piercings I would of kept them as they sound incredible.

Feb 24, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #29,183 of 48,562
I only noticed it with ceetain songs but there is def a roll off in the sub bass that makes me wish ot had the HE400's bass. If you still have the LCD2 then I doubt you would be too impressed. Still I suppose it's good to experience as much as possible.

Since you like mids and bass try the Focal Spirit classic if you feel like venturing into closed. Great mids! Like liquid gold and great bass. If it wasn't for the tight fit that irritated my piercings I would of kept them as they sound incredible.

*cough* your opinion.

I owned the FSC for a time and couldn't believe it was so expensive, it sounded like a cheap generic headphone ($30?)), luckily I flipped it for a profit.

Feb 24, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #29,184 of 48,562
*cough* your opinion.

I owned the FSC for a time and couldn't believe it was so expensive, it sounded like a cheap generic headphone ($30?)), luckily I flipped it for a profit.

Tyll seems to think it's about as reference as reference gets.

Feb 24, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #29,185 of 48,562
Graphs only paint a small picture.

Have you seen the D7000's graphs? Yet, no one can ever contest how massive the sub bass is on the D7000.

Same as the Urbanite On Ear. The Bass and mids are like a perfectly straight line, yet the Urbanite has some very, very strong bass (though mids stay just as forward).

I have heard it all the time: The 400i's bass just isn't going to win any favors from people who like some good energy in their bass. People can justify it all day, it won't make it any less true. Plent of people stating it's thinner, and considerably less impactful than the 400. That was enough for me to dismiss it entirely. I'm sure it's a wonderful sounding headphone. However, I have a certain threshold for bass, and if it's under that, I don't wanna spend any money on that as a main headphone, especially not $500.

I certainly DON'T want reference. Reference bores me. I like my headphones warm, and lively. In fact, the Fidelio X2 could've used a little more warmth, and less treble up top for my personal preference. Hopefully if the X3 ever comes out, it will fall in between the X1 and X2 in tonality. The X1 was a bit sloppy in the bass to mid transition, and the X2 is a bit dry for MY personal preference, though it otherwise has a very favorable sound.

Feb 24, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #29,186 of 48,562
Graphs only paint a small picture.

Have you seen the D7000's graphs? Yet, no one can ever contest how massive the sub bass is on the D7000.

Same as the Urbanite On Ear. The Bass and mids are like a perfectly straight line, yet the Urbanite has some very, very strong bass (though mids stay just as forward).

I have heard it all the time: The 400i's bass just isn't going to win any favors from people who like some good energy in their bass. People can justify it all day, it won't make it any less true. Plent of people stating it's thinner, and considerably less impactful than the 400. That was enough for me to dismiss it entirely. I'm sure it's a wonderful sounding headphone. However, I have a certain threshold for bass, and if it's under that, I don't wanna spend any money on that as a main headphone, especially not $500.

I certainly DON'T want reference. Reference bores me. I like my headphones warm, and lively.

Idk, I've heard the D7000 and the TH900/600 and they do have deep subbass, but I've seen them as having more of an impact (which the graphs do reflect.)

What graphs have you seen on the Urbanite though? The square wave and the FR graph both show it having a huge amount bass.

I completely understand your opinion though. The HE400 does have more substantial bass than the HE400i, but I never really saw it as huge difference due to the mids. However, I cannot reasonably say that they have less bass than the K712 though. That was more the point I was trying to make and just used the graphs to back that up. The HE400i is FAR from reference though (as it a warm, mid-forward headphone.) And believe me, I completely understand not wanting reference/TOO neutral, as that is why I ultimately couldn't keep the HD598, the HE560, or the Alpha Dogs (though I've been told my pair was probably defective.)

On a side note, I did have the TH600 recently. I tried enjoying it, but it is not the successor to the D7000 that everyone keeps talking it up as and, ultimately, it kinda is very boring and dry. That's why I can't jump on the TH900 bandwagon. You MIGHT like the ZMF Vibros though. Mine are suppose to arrive in and a half, so I'll post something about them.

Feb 24, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #29,187 of 48,562
I don't need strong bass on the 400i. That's not what I was expecting nor looking for. I actually don't know what I was hoping for, just bought them out of impulse because of the ridiculous low price I was offered for a brand new pair.

Because of its linear bass and forward mids, it's not an all rounder like the K712/Annie/K7XX. Ultimately, I will be keeping it for when I'm in the mood for some beautiful vocals. It's something I've never had in my headphone collection. It compliments my bassy 1540 extremely well, with the K7XX sitting in between as my all rounder for gaming/movies.

Feb 24, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #29,188 of 48,562
I don't think the D7000 is that impactful at all. It was all sub bass rumble. Actually felt the mid bass punch to be well controlled. Certainly did not sound like what the graphs imply to me, at all. I feel the D7000 sounds like what the TH900 graphs look like.

And FWIH, the TH900 has more in common with the D7000 than the TH600.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID%5B%5D=3841&graphID%5B%5D=283

The D7000 doesn't sound like that at all. That TH900 graph though, yes, that is the D7000 sound to me.

Feb 24, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #29,189 of 48,562
So, I ended up listing my Destiny Limited Edition in the Music/Videos classifieds. I'm not even waiting for House of Wolves... lol

Feb 25, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #29,190 of 48,562
*cough* your opinion.

You are probably the only one in the world who thinks that lol everyone whos listened to mine has said they are perfect apart from the fit.

They are so lush with great impact! Perfect mids for a closed phone. If they didn't irritate my piercings they would be end game in the closed department.

I now have the Nad HP50 for the 2nd time which are also phenomenal! Bit more airy and delicate sounding than the FSC.

When people bring up the D7000 it makes me sad that I won't ever own it again without spending a ton. The D5000 + D7000 were my fav closed backs; I would love to hear them bow as my taste has changed to a more warm and lush sound in the last few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back