Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 23, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #29,161 of 48,562
After a slight comparison, I can say the alcantaras add some bass at the expense of a little air/soundstage. Others may not like it, but definitely welcome for my tastes.

Feb 23, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #29,162 of 48,562
Is it bass boost/treble reduction? Air/soundstage and treble do tend to go hand in hand. How are the mids affected? One thing I hear is how the mids are amazing on the 400i.

One thing is that I don't really need a super big soundstage on my planars. So if the bass boost is beneficial to the overall tonality, all for the better.

Also, how does the bass (with and without the 1540 pads stack up to the 7XX's bass? I ask because the reason I dismissed the 400i was how it seemed to take away what made the 400 special to me), that bass. I know it won't exactly be the 400's bass, but if it can at least match the 7XX, it may be worth checking out).

Of course, you don't have to answer these tjings now. Get around to it if you can, once you're very well acquainted with the 400i in all aspects.

Feb 23, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #29,163 of 48,562
If there is a reduction in treble, it is only slight. Not as noticeable as the change in soundstage and bass. Same with the mids. And, yes, the mids are absolutely beautiful.

Trust, I will be answering all those questions once I have some steady ground to base my opinions on. I might even write a detailed review/comparison with the K7XX when all said and done...

Feb 23, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #29,164 of 48,562
  After a slight comparison, I can say the alcantaras add some bass at the expense of a little air/soundstage. Others may not like it, but definitely welcome for my tastes.

They've done this on both headphones I've tried them on (HE-4 and HP100) so not surprised.

Feb 23, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #29,165 of 48,562
So, I rented the Order 1886. I beat it, and I can say:

1. The graphics are... quite outstanding. It feels like a decent game's prerendered cutscenes, all in real time. Or like the best prerendered backgrounds out of a game like Resident Evil, all in super high quiality and playable.

2. The gameplay is pretty generic. I mean, outside of it's graphics, this game would never be on ANYONE's real radar. I've played better TPS games in 2006 (Gears of War anyone?). It is all very standard shooting. Not very fun either.

3. The length of the game is over exaggerated. It is not THAT short. I felt for the type of game that it was, the length was plenty. In fact, I felt that it could've been SHORTER, but they artificially lengthened it by having your characxter walk slowly through some parts of the game.

4. The ending was abrupt and just...What NO. They should be ashamed by ending the game that way. The story was pretty bland in general, but that ending was... I can't explain.

5. This is for us audiophiles: THE GAME ONLY HAS A STEREO SPEAKERS AND STEREO HEADPHONES OPTION ARE YOU FLIPPING SERIOUS? From what I could tell, it seems I was only hearing a Pro Logic II type surround, not legit. This is upsetting. Complete disregard for audiophiles. They literally focused everything on graphics. Unacceptable.

Actually, anyone else playing the game and has a receiver capable of letting you know if it's playing in Dolby Digital, can you check if the DD icon lights up (via optical)? Apparently it still plays in surround, but honestly, positional cues are pretty weak in this game. In fact, there was a few sections where the sound effects were coming form a COMPLETELY different angle from where they were supposed to. I honestly think the audio is effed in the game.

In short: DON'T BUY THE GAME. RENT IT.

Very disappointing about the sound! I really was hoping the audio quality would match the visuals. Just reserved a copy at red box as if still like to see what it looks like.

Did anyone else get in on the bestbuy/ebay ps4 error this morning? They were selling ps4s for buy one get one free!!! Haha I've received a shipping confirmation so looks like they are fulfilling the orders that were placed prior to them fixing the listing. Fingers crossed!

Feb 23, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #29,167 of 48,562
I use my AKG K7XX straight out of my mixamp 5.8 on the PS4. You should be fine without an amp. Just save up for a good standalone for the desktop setup, down the line :)

Feb 23, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #29,168 of 48,562
I use my AKG K7XX straight out of my mixamp 5.8 on the PS4. You should be fine without an amp. Just save up for a good standalone for the desktop setup, down the line :)
Thanks. I'm using a Sennheiser HD598 right now. But I coud't resist in getting the AKG 712 Pro! Got that tax return and wanted to treat myself a bit! I also got that Alienware Alpha I7 so I still New to PC gaming, So I mainly use my PS4/XONE for FPS!

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #29,169 of 48,562
Would anyone give me a recommendation between these headphones?

The Audio-Technica AD700 is discontinued, but there are still some new on Amazon for $200, or the AD700x for $120.  Is the AD700 (non-x) worth the price increase? 
Or, should I consider the AKG Q701 at $220?

I would prefer to buy new, as this will be a gift.

Thanks in advance! :)

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #29,170 of 48,562
The AD700x is the AD700 with a different color scheme, and more plastic used. It is still the same sound. Don't waste money on the older one.

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #29,171 of 48,562
  Would anyone give me a recommendation between these headphones?
The Audio-Technica AD700 is discontinued, but there are still some new on Amazon for $200, or the AD700x for $120.  Is the AD700 (non-x) worth the price increase? 
Or, should I consider the AKG Q701 at $220?
I would prefer to buy new, as this will be a gift.
Thanks in advance! :)

There are no good reasons for getting the older ATH-AD700, over the newer ATH-AD700X.

I actually prefer my SennHD558s, over my AD700, as the HD558 have a little more bass.

If your not in a rush to get the headphones, check out the AKG KXX, at Massdrop.

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #29,172 of 48,562
Inspectre, if you want a AD700x but slightly more enjoyable, the Sennheiser G4me One is just a rebadged HD598 with a good mic. This is the only gaming headset I would ever recommend though, as they're usually 99% crap. But Sennheiser stuff has been falling in price lately, so this is more fair than usual.

Avoid the gaming headset version of the AD700 though. While it sounds just slightly better...the extra 100$ is kinda wasted. The mic is incredibly good and it's built better, but that can't justify the price hike.

Other than that one exception by Sennheiser, you're better off with a separate headphone + an antlion mic.

Hell, best combo I've seen for convenience has been the Fidelio X1 with the V-moda boom mic.

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #29,173 of 48,562
Okay, after playing with the alcantaras for a short while I quickly went back to the Focus pads on the 400i so I can start comparing to the K7XX. Based on short impressions, the two are far more similar than different. The K7XX has slightly more bass, soundstage, and treble. The obvious difference, and yet still slightly, is the 400i having more forward mids, and man are they beautiful. So clear, so smooth, and yet gentle on the ears. I've been needing a headphone with forward mids that doesn't bore me, and I think I have found it. Though, I would consider the 400i to be more neutral than mid-centric when compared to something like the MA900 and such (mainly because of the more present treble on the 400i).

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #29,174 of 48,562
I use my AKG K7XX straight out of my mixamp 5.8 on the PS4. You should be fine without an amp. Just save up for a good standalone for the desktop setup, down the line
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you have any volume issues with the K7XX and mixamp? I tried the K7XX with my MixAmp 2013 on the XBONE and had to turn the volume to almost maximum to get decent game volume. Maybe the 5.8 is a different animal? Based on some feedback I received, I will be better off introducing an amp between the mixamp and K7XX.

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #29,175 of 48,562
  Do you have any volume issues with the K7XX and mixamp? I tried the K7XX with my MixAmp 2013 on the XBONE and had to turn the volume to almost maximum to get decent game volume. Maybe the 5.8 is a different animal? Based on some feedback I received, I will be better off introducing an amp between the mixamp and K7XX.

Well, I did used to own the Mixamp 2011, and can say I do vaguely remember always needing to double amp my Q701 and later the K712 when I had the pairing. Surprisingly, I don't have the need to do so with the K7XX and 5.8 pairing. Maybe my ears are much better trained, or the 5.8 does push out a little more juice. I'm usually at 70% volume setting when chatting, give or take.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back