Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 23, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #29,150 of 48,562
So I just received the k7xx from MassDrop. Must say I'm pleasantly surprised with the bass on these things, they actually rival my dt990's with certain songs after some EQ adjustments to the lower frequencies. The soundstage and separation is on another level though, was actually kind of jarring the first time I played CS GO on them lol.

I have a question on what would be the ideal way to run these off of my PC, that I was hoping someone could shed some light on. I was running my dt990's through a Sound Blaster Z into a Magni, and just recently realized that the SBZ has a reasonably powerful headphone amp inside (says its able to power 600 ohms adequately). I know that double amping is less than ideal, but I've never noticed any distortion or noise from doing it. I tried running the k7xx directly from the SBZ, and I'm only able to turn the Windows volume to around 25 before it gets unbearable. I've read that lowering the Windows volume can reduce the bitrate of sounds being played, so this would also be less than ideal. Running through the Magni I can set the overall EQ level to -12db which lets me max the Windows volume and control the volume using the Magni. Would reducing the EQ level this way also have a negative effect on the sound quality?

So my question is what would preserve the quality of the source material the best?

-Setting EQ preamp to -12db and maxing the windows volume then running through Magni
-Leaving EQ preamp at 0db, running Windows volume at 50% through the Magni
-Setting EQ preamp to -12db and setting Windows volume to whatever is bearable directly through SBZ
-Leaving EQ preamp at 0db and setting Windows volume to whatever is bearable directly through SBZ

Sorry if I didn't explain the situation clearly and thanks in advance for any insight.

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #29,151 of 48,562
My HE-400i arrived, just now. I was able to listen to one song in my rig before leaving for work. Wow... just... wow...

Feb 23, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #29,155 of 48,562
Haven't had any time to compare, yet. I have to get used to it's stock sound before making any judgement. I do like what I'm hearing, though...

Feb 23, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #29,156 of 48,562
Of course. Keep us posted. That's one thing I considered had I gotten the 400i. The 1540 pads are just too good to dismiss. I loved them on the 400.

Feb 23, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #29,157 of 48,562
Of course. Keep us posted. That's one thing I considered had I gotten the 400i. The 1540 pads are just too good to dismiss. I loved them on the 400.

This!

I keep looking for a headphone just for the pads, lmao. The HP200 played the role, quite well, but the HE400i takes the cake. For some reason, the pads play better with open cans than with closed. 

I will definitely keep you posted....

Feb 23, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #29,158 of 48,562
So, I rented the Order 1886. I beat it, and I can say:

1. The graphics are... quite outstanding. It feels like a decent game's prerendered cutscenes, all in real time. Or like the best prerendered backgrounds out of a game like Resident Evil, all in super high quiality and playable.

2. The gameplay is pretty generic. I mean, outside of it's graphics, this game would never be on ANYONE's real radar. I've played better TPS games in 2006 (Gears of War anyone?). It is all very standard shooting. Not very fun either.

3. The length of the game is over exaggerated. It is not THAT short. I felt for the type of game that it was, the length was plenty. In fact, I felt that it could've been SHORTER, but they artificially lengthened it by having your characxter walk slowly through some parts of the game.

4. The ending was abrupt and just...What NO. They should be ashamed by ending the game that way. The story was pretty bland in general, but that ending was... I can't explain.

5. This is for us audiophiles: THE GAME ONLY HAS A STEREO SPEAKERS AND STEREO HEADPHONES OPTION ARE YOU FLIPPING SERIOUS? From what I could tell, it seems I was only hearing a Pro Logic II type surround, not legit. This is upsetting. Complete disregard for audiophiles. They literally focused everything on graphics. Unacceptable.

Actually, anyone else playing the game and has a receiver capable of letting you know if it's playing in Dolby Digital, can you check if the DD icon lights up (via optical)? Apparently it still plays in surround, but honestly, positional cues are pretty weak in this game. In fact, there was a few sections where the sound effects were coming form a COMPLETELY different angle from where they were supposed to. I honestly think the audio is effed in the game.

In short: DON'T BUY THE GAME. RENT IT.

Feb 23, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #29,160 of 48,562
Yeah, I actually had to go out of my way to rent it. Only one box in all of Orlando (5 area zip codes that I checked) had it.

Though, some redboxes AREN'T tied to the online available list, as was able to rent Last of Us Remastered recently, when it wasn't even on the online's list of games anymore. I think Redbox will update it's boxes with more copies on Tuesdays, like they usually do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back