Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 9, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #28,276 of 48,566
I have the astro mixamp 2013 with a magni connected to sennheiser game ones and it just sounds horrible when using dh. When i use my game one via usb audio through the mixamp in just stereo the detail in everything just pops and sounds soo good. Dh adds echo which I hate and really I cant tell any difference when it comes to directional cues. Maybe my brain just doesnt work right for it I am not sure but I can def tell when something is behind me better in stereo.

forgive me if I'm "off" or wrong

but You're dual amping with a stereo signal and a dh signal right? It might be why it sounds off, and I've had this issue when using the xbox 1 stereo adapter, dh just sounds compared to stereo and  I think since it's a stereo signal for the mic which might be causing it.

That may be why it sounds off, and I've always used stereo and have no complaints really. i do Like Dolby headphone.

Jan 9, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #28,277 of 48,566
  I was about to buy HD598 as replacement for my broken HD555, but after some thinking it seems like a waste. I would like to get my HD555 fixed instead.

Can I replace my headband in HD555 using the one from HD595, HD558 or HD598? 

Just a heads up,

as an owner of both,

the hd 598 imo is really a step up compared to the hd 55s overall.

Now if you're using it solely for gaming, the upgrade may not be worth it. Also the hd 598s reached $99 price point around black friday so you could probably find some used ones in that range, don't spend more than $140 new though.

Jan 9, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #28,278 of 48,566
Yep, thought about that old unit as well. But what I'm looking for doesn't necessarily have to be from the gaming industry. Still a good unit for its price point when you can find a new and not used one. 

Yeeeeeah, the DSS is a bit better than the other entry-level DSP units I've tried in the SQ department, the DAC is decent but the best built-in amp and DH is a solid DSP. Used the DSS exclusively for half a year after selling my Recon3D USB (like, as soon as I heard about the upcoming X7, thought the resell prices would go DOWN, lol!), did well paired with an external amp and my AKGs or even acceptable plugging the K712 straight into the DSS (certainly plenty of volume dial left). I preferred the processing on the Recon3D USB and the weak amp was very clean for double amping, also a convenient setup for the PS4, buuuut now that DSP is expensive. Other DSP options are mostly home theater receivers and the Smith Realizer or Beyerdynamic Headzone, not really viable for most budgets, there's some new stuff from TB but I dunno how they do pare and which ones are compatible with any headphone.

X7's still on another level :D

Jan 9, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #28,279 of 48,566
After a quick bit of advice if possible.

I have X2>mixamp 2011>ps4 I'm using a boompro as a mic but I'm really struggling to find a decent balance between the chat and the game volume.

The mix amp is setup as using optical with only 5.1 ticked and also set to dolby 5.1. I have the settings for chat audio selected and have the headphone setting set to max.

The issue I have is that to hear the chat audio I have it set to almost max chat on the mixamp which makes the game volume audible but i feel I am not really experiencing the X2s at their best.

Does anyone know if I can change something or if i have been a noob when selecting the settings?

Ta

I also have a 2011 mixamp with similar problems.  I use the X1s with a boompro mic.  When I gamed on Xbox 360, I could turn chat to around 1 to 2 o'clock and hear my friend just fine with him being just a bit louder than the game audio.

However, now on the PS4 I have to have the chat dial to just beyond 4 o'clock to hear him decently, but it's a still a bit quiet.  Game volume at this point is way too quiet for my liking.  We've made sure his mic volume is turned up adequately and I have the headphone volume turned up in the PS4 settings.

I recently stumbled on a thread here called PS4 with 3.5mm x2 Type Headset... and from that I gleaned that the Turtle Beach PS4 chat cable (here on Amazon) should provide the fix that I'm looking for.  I've ordered one, but haven't received it yet.  From what I understand, it will not only boost the chat volume, but also re-enable the ability for mic monitoring, something I really like using to make sure I'm not talking too loudly.

Hope this helps.

Jan 9, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #28,281 of 48,566
Yup, currently the most complicated wired mess available for consoles. Woop woop!

If Creative manages to get the microphone over usb working on the PS4, it will at least be a cleaner solution for that console. We all know that the situation on the Xbox is more complicated due to contractual agreements so I wouldn't expect an elegant solution there.

On the other hand, my years of owning Soundblaster cards has not instilled me with the utmost confidence in long term support from Creative.

I believe that the most convenient solution is still the MixAmp Pro or MixAmp 5.8, but the support on that is negligible as well. The last firmware update for the MixAmp Pro was 2/14/2013 and things are not exactly working perfectly there either.

Jan 9, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #28,282 of 48,566
Yeeeeeah, the DSS is a bit better than the other entry-level DSP units I've tried in the SQ department, the DAC is decent but the best built-in amp and DH is a solid DSP. Used the DSS exclusively for half a year after selling my Recon3D USB (like, as soon as I heard about the upcoming X7, thought the resell prices would go DOWN, lol!), did well paired with an external amp and my AKGs or even acceptable plugging the K712 straight into the DSS (certainly plenty of volume dial left). I preferred the processing on the Recon3D USB and the weak amp was very clean for double amping, also a convenient setup for the PS4, buuuut now that DSP is expensive. Other DSP options are mostly home theater receivers and the Smith Realizer or Beyerdynamic Headzone, not really viable for most budgets, there's some new stuff from TB but I dunno how they do pare and which ones are compatible with any headphone.

X7's still on another level
biggrin.gif

That Smyth Realiser A8 is crazy cool.... you may have just found the "thats a little much for gaming" limit on that unit. ROFL
If the best hardware for good dolby headphone can be found in a small component package, Ill take it.  If not and its going to be a big unit I at least want a DSP fo DH that sounds the best. Maybe it is the X7. Based on its specs it uses some pretty nice parts inside for the DSP and DH. Maybe I'll hand with this Astro for that component in my setup till something comes along that I want to replace it with.

Yup, currently the most complicated wired mess available for consoles. Woop woop!

Haha, its not that bad.  I have wires all over with this setup, but its sounds bad ass! This little Rolls would solve some chat issue for quite a few gamers on both PS4 and XB1 with custom hi-fi and regular wired setups. Ill snap a real pic tonight.

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #28,283 of 48,566

Uh, not really, same amount of interconnections as any of the Mixamps. Wiring is exactly the same for Xbox, and for the PS4, people recommended the option to use a TB chat cable with the mixamp 5.8 for a long time if someone doesn't have the discontinued Astro USB chat cable, and the Syba usb dongle basically serves the same function in the alternate X7 setup as the Astro USB chat cable does if a person happens to have that.

If Creative manages to get the microphone over usb working on the PS4, it will at least be a cleaner solution for that console. We all know that the situation on the Xbox is more complicated due to contractual agreements so I wouldn't expect an elegant solution there.

I mean, it's technically possible for the X7 hardware to support it, but the whole story involves more support from both Creative AND Sony/Microsoft.

Microsoft simply doesn't support USB mics at this time, Sony does but the PS4 USB stack apparently doesn't "see" the X7 as a mic or chat device (could be something creative could fix, or it could be that the X7 requires a driver to work over USB and thus the mic is only available where you CAN install drivers, therefore PC/Mac). The X7 is able to be seen as a communications device on Bluetooth, but Sony hasn't made firmware that allows 3rd party Bluetooth connections... yet (hopefully). I'd be curious if the PS3 can use the X7 as a Bluetooth chat device.

It's worth keeping in mind that the X7's mic is only about as good as a Kinect mic or Playstation Camera, and it faces the same issue of listening over a distance. If you already have or want those devices, the X7 doesn't have a better sounding mic (and the beamforming only makes a little difference).

I'm still sticking with my PS4 + Snowball for simplicity and quality.

That Smyth Realiser A8 is crazy cool.... you may have just found the "thats a little much for gaming" limit on that unit. ROFL
If the best hardware for good dolby headphone can be found in a small component package, I'll take it.  If not, and it's going to be a big unit, I at least want a DSP for headphone surround that sounds the best. Maybe it is the X7. Based on its specs, it uses some pretty nice parts inside for the surround DSP and audio components. Maybe I'll hang with this Astro for that component in my setup till something comes along that I want to replace it with.

Right! That's why I said the Realizer isn't viable for most budgets, the return of investment may not be strong enough... Of course, with sound, R.O.I. is entirely subjective on anything you can buy, lol!

I subjectively think SBX > DH, but objectively the X7 uniquely is the only console-compatible device that can receive a digital signal, apply it's DSP, and have the option to digital-out to any optical DAC (and then amp) that you might want. With the other options, the built in component is What-You-DAC-Is-What-You-Get and you can only add an amp. Of course, the X7 comes with a really good DAC and Amp anyway (subjectively but also objectively good parts that probably measure well). If a decent DAC is good enough, then with your custom mixer setup the DSS is your best ROI.

Jan 10, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #28,284 of 48,566
That picture you posted of the X7 setup with the PS4 is a wired mess. Point, blank, period...

Turtle Beach cable is only needed for the 5.8 if missing the chat cable for PS4 compatibility. With the other mixamps on PS4, there is no wire needed coming out of the controller.

I have no XBOX, so never had to deal with the extra hassle.

So, yeah, really... a wired mess.

Jan 10, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #28,285 of 48,566
That picture you posted of the X7 setup with the PS4 is a wired mess. Point, blank, period...

Turtle Beach cable is only needed for the 5.8 if missing the chat cable for PS4 compatibility. With the other mixamps on PS4, there is no wire needed coming out of the controller.

I have no XBOX, so never had to deal with the extra hassle.

So, yeah, really... a wired mess.

*shrug* Wired mess is up for personal opinion, it's just two parallel signal paths, I agree that overall chat with the X7 is not ideal/optimized though.

The only real additional mess with a USB dongle like the Syba in the chain instead of the Mixamp's USB is that you end up wiring a mic from the PS4 instead of the mixamp. The controller linkup I pictured isn't any more cumbersome than a regular wired controller. The USB/Console Camera option is clean in the sense that it keeps stuff off your person and your hands free, and obviously works regardless of what DSP device is used (though USB only works on our PS4's, not the XBone users that were originally asking).

I wish Sony would open the firmware for the PS4 Bluetooth audio stack, that would neatly merge together everything and give more headphone options regardless. It seems hopeful that the X7 might be able to eventually transmit OUT to headphones, Last communication from Creative said this was a popular request and to "stay tuned." If BOTH feasible pieces come together, then the X7 could provide the connectivity holy grail of any wired or Bluetooth headphone with full chat support, but right now it has full wired headphone support with integrated chat for PC gamers. I ordered a Meelectronics Bluetooth Matrix2, I'll have to try pairing it to my friend's PS3 and imagine the handsfree wireless possibilities. I admit I thought about trying turtle beach's Elite X500p just to see how I might like a completely wireless (DTS X) setup, but unfortunately reviews state that the X500 sounds worse and is less comfortable than TB's cheaper wired X400 (that doesn't come with any DSP). Companies are trying though and we're on the cusp of somebody doing it all "right," but personally as someone who prefers a wired setup anyway (better DAC/amp) I'm already satisfied.

Jan 10, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #28,286 of 48,566
The Astro Chat cable can be substituted with usb dongle + 2x 3.5mm minijacks + 4 pole adapter as far as I know. 

As for the X7 and chat, the Steelseries Audiomixer (or a similar device) should work just fine. The 3.5mm cable would go to the X7 headphone output and the USB to the PS4 for chat. It did work with the first gen mixamp (which didn't have usb audio at all) so it should work now.

Jan 10, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #28,287 of 48,566
guys sorry help me for competitive headphone 100% gaming use,i need best soundstage/imaging/positional audio possible in 150/200 euro i m looking between k612 and ad700x
i know ad700x have larger soundstage more elliptic then normal and is more difficult undestrand left right or back(i m not sure if is real..) with less imaging then akg k612..my question is for competitive player a lesser soundstage(how much lesser is really notable or op between k612 and ad700?or is a little lesser) is balanced by better imaging and positional audio by k612?(is really better)
price is near ad700 150euro k612 135 euro (i have eliminate k701 in my country price is more then 200 euro isn t worth imho)
comfort k612 is better
music and immersive gaming i think more bass from k612 is crucial and better
help me to chooce please ^^

Jan 10, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #28,288 of 48,566
Still can't see why people aren't keener to go via HDMI (which will allow lossless surround sound).

How about this, if you have a PC handy:

http://www.asus.com/uk/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_HDAV13_Deluxe/

Sound card with an HDMI passthrough and Dolby Headphone. Can be had for a reasonable price on eBay. There's also a slimline version.

Unfortunately, from looking at the manual, it seems that this may only do 5.1 (and possibly upscale to 7.1). It won't do true 7.1. To have full lossless 7.1 you need either a Realizer or a suitable AVR.

Jan 10, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #28,289 of 48,566
  Still can't see why people aren't keener to go via HDMI (which will allow lossless surround sound).

How about this, if you have a PC handy:

http://www.asus.com/uk/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_HDAV13_Deluxe/

Sound card with an HDMI passthrough and Dolby Headphone. Can be had for a reasonable price on eBay. There's also a slimline version.

Unfortunately, from looking at the manual, it seems that this may only do 5.1 (and possibly upscale to 7.1). It won't do true 7.1. To have full lossless 7.1 you need either a Realizer or a suitable AVR.

It requires a suitable PC to operate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back