Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 8, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #28,262 of 48,566
  This is exactly what I had in mind, as for the mixing, maybe maxing out the volume on the chat adapter + maxing out chat audio in system settings would be enough.

Yes maxing it out is all you can do then dial down the optical in volume for the game in the X7 settings.

That whole reason is why I'm getting the Rolls MX22s Mini Mix. Then I have full level control. For some it may seem over kill and maybe even a cluster ****** of cables, but I play at my desk in my home office so I keep my cables super clean and tucked. Also because I'm not in the living room I dont need a wireless setup. Besides the whole point of this excess headphone Hi-Fi is to use high end audio products anyway, LOL. So I don't think there will be a "Pepsi challenge" between the Sennheiser HD 650's and an out of the box gaming wireless setup anytime soon.

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #28,263 of 48,566
  So, on the X7 the chat/game volume balance is controlled on the phone app?

Check out user salbando's post earlier to me where he describes setting the input optical line in to about 80% to bring the game volume down so he can balance the game and chat on the X7. Now weather he is using the mobile app or the PC software version I dont know.

I'm sure he'll give some more input on it.

Jan 8, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #28,267 of 48,566
Photos, including one showing how to wire chat audio from DS4 to the back of the X7, added to the X7 review.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/646786/evshrugs-if-i-knew-then-what-i-know-now-discussion-journal/210#post_11176870

Jan 9, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #28,269 of 48,566
  If you want my recommendation coming from recent experience...do not get the Sound Blaster Zx..worst soundcard I have ever owned in terms of sound quality. I have a Creative Fatality Titanium Pro and it sounds much better. I did a recent test where I ask a few people to listen to one card...removed it and installed the other and they all said the Titanium sounded so much better.

The Zx was also unable to drive my AKG K612's to a decent volume..I bought an amp and fixed that problem.

Coming from a set of Logitech G35 headphones to the AKG K612 Pro..is like night and day in terms of positional sound for gaming.. unbelievable difference.

for 100% fps online competitive gaming i m looking for best headphone + soundcard combo(need 5,1 support end emulation for headphone and my z506 speakers) i m watching k612 - ad700x - k701 and for soundcard soundblaster z - phoebus solo...what raccomend for me?i need best positional audio,soundstage,and positional accuracy by the headphone...thank all for the help

i have open a tread here if someone wanna reply and help me is great :) thanks all 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/749885/best-positional-audio-for-hard-core-fps-gamer-headphone-soundcard
max 250/300 euro

coming from siberia v2 frost blue

Jan 9, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #28,270 of 48,566
  for 100% fps online competitive gaming i m looking for best headphone + soundcard combo(need 5,1 support end emulation for headphone and my z506 speakers) i m watching k612 - ad700x - k701 and for soundcard soundblaster z - phoebus solo...what raccomend for me?i need best positional audio,soundstage,and positional accuracy by the headphone...thank all for the help

i have open a tread here if someone wanna reply and help me is great :) thanks all 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/749885/best-positional-audio-for-hard-core-fps-gamer-headphone-soundcard
max 250/300 euro

coming from siberia v2 frost blue

There is no best headphone....period

now to quickly answer your other question

K701>K612+ Sound Blaster Z

I would say stay away from the AD700X because some people have said it doesnt sound the same as the legendary AD700 (silver/purple colored). Also, not sure how it will handle the output impedance of the Sound Blaster Z and the AKG headphones work pretty well with it. Im using my sound Blaster with a K7XX and sounds great.

Also, dont think you will be invisible or make you a better player the instant you use any of the headphones you are considering.

I always say this because alot of people have this idea that it it will make you into this big awesome MLG pro gamer blah blah blah lol

I dont have anything against the people who want pure analytical sound but I cant seem to figure out, how that specific sound, makes you feel happy lol.

Jan 9, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #28,271 of 48,566

There is no best headphone....period

now to quickly answer your other question

K701>K612+ Sound Blaster Z

I would say stay away from the AD700X because some people have said it doesnt sound the same as the legendary AD700 (silver/purple colored). Also, not sure how it will handle the output impedance of the Sound Blaster Z and the AKG headphones work pretty well with it. Im using my sound Blaster with a K7XX and sounds great.

Also, dont think you will be invisible or make you a better player the instant you use any of the headphones you are considering.

I always say this because alot of people have this idea that it it will make you into this big awesome MLG pro gamer blah blah blah lol

I dont have anything against the people who want pure analytical sound but I cant seem to figure out, how that specific sound, makes you feel happy lol.

you think k612 or k701 is my best option for gaming? + soundblaster z
i have foun k612 at 132 euro and k701 200...is 70 euro extra worth?
can soundblaster z guide k612?have 500 ohm amp

Jan 9, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #28,272 of 48,566
Full night sesh of Destiny and testing the Rolls MX22s Mini Mix complete. 
For those that game with your favorite hi-fi headphone and are using a wired setup on Xbox One.

This update will not tell you how to sit across the room on your couch and figure out how to get this level of audio sound quality out of a wireless setup, so save it.

With an XB1 and Astro mixamp pro (wired) the chat volume is pretty bad. I tried a few wiring tricks with some custom cables but none did anything to make it better. knowing the controller carries the full chat signal I wanted to push it out on its own and boost/control it separately from the game sound coming out of the Astro mixamp. I picked up the Rolls MX22s Mini Mix.
http://www.rolls.com/productImage.php?pid=MX22s

Its powered and the sound on my setup is the best I have had yet on XB1. Picked mine up through Amazon for $49. 
I'm able to cleanly adjust the mix between game and chat at a level that doesn't blow one over the other.

Now that I'm not using any of the chat function of the Astro I'd like to replace it with a stand alone component that has optical in with a good dolby headphone out. Anyone have any ideas on something like that?

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #28,273 of 48,566
  Full night sesh of Destiny and testing the Rolls MX22s Mini Mix complete. 
For those that game with your favorite hi-fi headphone and are using a wired setup on Xbox One.

This update will not tell you how to sit across the room on your couch and figure out how to get this level of audio sound quality out of a wireless setup, so save it.

With an XB1 and Astro mixamp pro (wired) the chat volume is pretty bad. I tried a few wiring tricks with some custom cables but none did anything to make it better. knowing the controller carries the full chat signal I wanted to push it out on its own and boost/control it separately from the game sound coming out of the Astro mixamp. I picked up the Rolls MX22s Mini Mix.
http://www.rolls.com/productImage.php?pid=MX22s

Its powered and the sound on my setup is the best I have had yet on XB1. Picked mine up through Amazon for $49. 
I'm able to cleanly adjust the mix between game and chat at a level that doesn't blow one over the other.

Now that I'm not using any of the chat function of the Astro I'd like to replace it with a stand alone component that has optical in with a good dolby headphone out. Anyone have any ideas on something like that?

I believe the DSS1 would be your best bet.  @Evshrug can confirm.

Jan 9, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #28,275 of 48,566
After a quick bit of advice if possible.

I have X2>mixamp 2011>ps4 I'm using a boompro as a mic but I'm really struggling to find a decent balance between the chat and the game volume.

The mix amp is setup as using optical with only 5.1 ticked and also set to dolby 5.1. I have the settings for chat audio selected and have the headphone setting set to max.

The issue I have is that to hear the chat audio I have it set to almost max chat on the mixamp which makes the game volume audible but i feel I am not really experiencing the X2s at their best.

Does anyone know if I can change something or if i have been a noob when selecting the settings?

Ta

I can't help you out, but i'm having the same issue with the xb1 set up of xb1--->2011 mixamp---->hd598s/modmic . With the astro mixamp and trying to find a balance between chat and game.

I pretty much have to adjust the game chat volume to find a volume level I'm comfortable with, otherwise it's too loud, and I think that's more on the mixamp than anything, it' s just too loud imo even at low levels of the dial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back