Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 8, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #28,247 of 48,566
  Shouldn't the riboon extension cable from the soundblaster recon 3d be a solution to all of the xbox one chat problems? The one pictured on the bottom of the screen. I gave away the Recon 3d I bought few weeks ago to my friend so I can't test this right now but I'm pretty sure it would work with the stereo headset adapter and a 2.5mm cable

recon3D_xbox360_1.jpg

That depends. If the chat volume is mixed well with the game volume.  The Recon3D is the same as me using the Astro Mixamp for Xbox One.  Right now the issue is super low chat volume.  Also I'd like to know the sound quality of the Recon3D as I see in its specs talk of Dolby 5.1 decoding but is it outputting Dolby headphone?

Jan 8, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #28,249 of 48,566

That depends. If the chat volume is mixed well with the game volume.  The Recon3D is the same as me using the Astro Mixamp for Xbox One.  Right now the issue is super low chat volume.  Also I'd like to know the sound quality of the Recon3D as I see in its specs talk of Dolby 5.1 decoding but is it outputting Dolby headphone?

It's using a different algorithm and it does output mixed virtual surround but that's beside the point, the headset extension cable has a 2.5mm port on the cable itself so it would completely bypass the X7 or Xbox One internal hardware. There are some cons of this setup mainly:

a) These cables are hard to come by on their own, one would have to buy entire Recon 3d just for this cable or ask Evshrug whther he's using his cable and if not buy just the cable from him.
I may politely ask the guy I gave my Recon to if I can have just the cable back and just send it to You if You agree to cover the shipping costs.

b) Game/chat balance would be kinda tricky.

But overall I'm pretty sure it would work the same way it did on the Recon 3D.
  No, that doesn not work at all (I tried to see if anything). If it did you would loose the mix aspect of it as well.

It could when plugged into the daisy chain port, mixamps game/chat balance works for daisy chain ports.

Jan 8, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #28,250 of 48,566
I am looking for a headset/headphone for my PC, but am on a limited budget. So 200 euro would be the absolute maximum in my case. I have an Asus Rampage IV mainboard, with an ALC898. I would like to stick with the onboard sound for now if possible, but can imagine buying a sound card later.

The headphone/headset I am looking for should have good positional sound for gaming but also provide good sound quality when listening to music (hiphop/electro/house).

Is the Creative Aurvana Live 1 or 2 what I'm looking for? From what I read so far, they seem to have good positional audio capabilities and also provide a good music listening expirience (with bass). The Aurvana Live 1 can be had for like 50 euro and the newer Live 2 for around 100 euro here.

Or should I look for something else, like some AKG's or Sensheisers? For most of the AKG's I would need a soundcard because of the impedance, right? Does that apply to the 32Ohm versions as well?

The ALC898 already provides some kind of Headphone virtualization but I also have the Razer software installed which should basically do the same (actually I find the Razer sound better than what the ALC898 driver provides).

Thanks for any feedback!

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #28,251 of 48,566
  I am looking for a headset/headphone for my PC, but am on a limited budget. So 200 euro would be the absolute maximum in my case. I have an Asus Rampage IV mainboard, with an ALC898. I would like to stick with the onboard sound for now if possible, but can imagine buying a sound card later.

The headphone/headset I am looking for should have good positional sound for gaming but also provide good sound quality when listening to music (hiphop/electro/house).

Is the Creative Aurvana Live 1 or 2 what I'm looking for? From what I read so far, they seem to have good positional audio capabilities and also provide a good music listening expirience (with bass). The Aurvana Live 1 can be had for like 50 euro and the newer Live 2 for around 100 euro here.

Or should I look for something else, like some AKG's or Sensheisers? For most of the AKG's I would need a soundcard because of the impedance, right? Does that apply to the 32Ohm versions as well?

The ALC898 already provides some kind of Headphone virtualization but I also have the Razer software installed which should basically do the same (actually I find the Razer sound better than what the ALC898 driver provides).

Thanks for any feedback!

Check out Sennheiser PC360/350

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #28,253 of 48,566
It was the 2011 version of the Mixamp and it dies right before Destiny came out. So now I have the newest Astro Mixamp Pro.

Here is my old Xbox 360 setup, just prior to adding an amp which ended up being the Asgard and switching from MMX300 to DT880 and now Senn HD 650… as you can see way back on page 20 of this thread!!!!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/lightbox/post/7240759/id/96529/user/170210

First off just as an FYI, I do not work for M$. M$ does not design the console except the Industrial Design (aesthetic looks).  At the time, I worked for a design firm and we designed the fix for the original 360, the new 360 Slim, Surface Pro tablet, Xbox 360 Speed Wheel and a few other secret projects.  I no longer work for that firm, but it was fun for a couple years I was there.  It is total BS that Turtle Beach got the deal for the connection out via USB. Everyone should have that option.

This is exactly what I was hoping you would tell me and how I thought you have it set up!!!! Like my image of the BLUE chat line out of the chat adaptor (3.5mm) to the X7 via RCA line in on the back of the X7. Then use the settings in the software to adjust the levels of chat and game! I’m on the fence to buy one now, but am going to give my new crazy setup a shot for a little while.

On to my new setup--
Components:

Xbox One
Astro Mixamp Pro
Rolls MX22 Mini Mix
Schiit Asgrad (v1)
OEM Xbox One chat adaptor
Headphone/Mic “Y” splitter
Sennheiser HD 650
Antlion Modmic

RED - optical 5.1 out from XB1 to Astro

GREEN – Game sound (3.5) out to Rolls (3.5) then to (RCA) Asgard then to HD 650

BLUE – Chat out (3.5) from controller/chat adaptor to (RCA) Rolls then to (RCA) Asgard then to HD 650

PINK – Mic in to controller/chat adaptor

All of the game chat along with stereo game sound is carried in the controller.  Xbox One chat adaptor settings are turned all the way to full chat and volume all the way up. See YELLOW circles. That is how you get full chat volume out with the stereo game sound off that is carried in the controller. I threw an image of a real controller with OEM chat adaptor just for reference.
Use the Rolls to mix the game and chat with a little fine tuning of sound level in the Astro and at the Asgard.

I will receive the Rolls today, but have done a mini test of this setup where I used 2 sets of mono single male to dual female RCA’s in the back of the Asgard to route the controller chat and Astro game sound together into the Asgard. It sounded brilliant, but because the RCA connector cant cancel direction there was an echo for my friends as they could hear themselves echo because of cross talk on that RCA connector. Hence the need for the Rolls mixer.

After tonight’s test, with success, I’d like to replace the Astro with another simple but high quality component that is optical in and Dolby Headphone out.  I have no need for the Astro as  a gaming “Mixamp” rather the need for getting game audio out of the XB1 and into Dolby headphone format.

*bows down to one who helped fix the heat issues of the launch 360*
Thank you! My original white 360 died an overheated death, but my black 360 Elite runs strong whenever I want to use it :) Again, sounds like you participated in the best parts of Xbox-era Microsoft (as part of a contracted 3rd party), so thanks for that, hope you enjoy what you do now, too!

Part of me is happy you don't seem to mind my M$ moniker, I've felt it was apt in a few ways :wink:

There's a lot of juicy setup info here, reminding me that I ought to post wiring setup photos to my X7 review here so others can reference it: Creative Labs' Sound Blaster X7
I really need to eat my belated lunch first, though!

Just to confirm,
Is the OEM XBOne chat adapter able to just do chat audio, repeatably, without automatically stealing game audio from the 5.1 surround optical output (or game audio to both at the same time, causing echo)? Since I don't have the system, this is important to know before I make a recommendation for a setup I don't personally own! Thanks!

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #28,254 of 48,566
is it true that the akg k712 pro has  the same comfort and sound or gaming as the q701?
i heard that from a friend and he tried both and he have sbzxr

thanks

The comfort and sound are similar between the Q701 and K712, but not the same. I owned both side-by-side: the K712 has a similar sound character BUT has a little more bass, overall warmth, a little less soundstage separation; the Earpads of the Q701 are angled while the K712 is flat; the K712 headband is flat and more comfortable; they come with different accessory cables (they both have a 3m cable, Q701 has a super super long 10m cable, K712 has a coiled cable and velour storage pouch). Oh, and the colors are different :)

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #28,255 of 48,566
There's a lot of juicy setup info here, reminding me that I ought to post wiring setup photos to my X7 review here so others can reference it: Creative Labs' Sound Blaster X7
I really need to eat my belated lunch first, though!

Just to confirm,
Is the OEM XBOne chat adapter able to just do chat audio, repeatably, without automatically stealing game audio from the 5.1 surround optical output (or game audio to both at the same time, causing echo)? Since I don't have the system, this is important to know before I make a recommendation for a setup I don't personally own! Thanks!

Yes the OEM XB1 chat pad when turned to full chat ( you hear a tone noise, beep, when it is) turns off the Stereo game sound coming from the controller. Has nothing to do with the optical in the console.

For a cleaner setup you could use a modded chat pad cable like we did back when the console came out where you remove the wires from the over head single ear chat and solder a 2.5 or 3.5 plug on it depending on what you need to plug it into. 

Here is an example:

And yes please!!! Post up pics of the X7 setup. We need it all in here!

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #28,256 of 48,566
Just to confirm,

Let me tell you what *I* have set up.  This may or may not help you.

I have the Steelseries H Wireless.  I have the optical out of both my PS4 and Xbox one going into a Toslink switcher, and the switcher goes into the base of the Steelseries.

The Steelseries base has a USB connection that goes into the PS4 to carry chat.

The Steelseries headset has a "chat in" and I plug that into the Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter via the TurtleBeach chat cable for Playstation (yeah, I know, but it works).

When I set the Steelseries base to "Xbox" mode it all works.  Chat comes from the headset.  Their chatmix thing works great.  Normal 5.1 audio going to the headset.  I don't hear echo.

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #28,257 of 48,566
If you want my recommendation coming from recent experience...do not get the Sound Blaster Zx..worst soundcard I have ever owned in terms of sound quality. I have a Creative Fatality Titanium Pro and it sounds much better. I did a recent test where I ask a few people to listen to one card...removed it and installed the other and they all said the Titanium sounded so much better.

The Zx was also unable to drive my AKG K612's to a decent volume..I bought an amp and fixed that problem.

Coming from a set of Logitech G35 headphones to the AKG K612 Pro..is like night and day in terms of positional sound for gaming.. unbelievable difference.

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #28,258 of 48,566

I don't mind cables, I mind cable clutter.  Especially in my living room where I have a 2-year-old running around.  I sit a good 3-4m+ from my 70" TV so it's not really an option to have all those cables running around.

Now in my "man cave", where I sit like 2m from my TV and my little one isn't allowed to play, I don't mind having a cable or two running across the floor.  But I still clean it up after every play; the one time I leave it out is the time my son will run through there and trip on the cable and pull my PS4 off the shelf.

Don't worry, he's worth it.  :-D

Exactly.  I'm using the Steelseries H wireless for this reason in my living room.  However, it's not what I want.

I kinda want the person love child of the Steelseries H Wireless base station and the MixAmp 5.8, but with multiple inputs.  And maybe an optical out.  Base goes by the consoles, two optical in (PS and Xbox), USB mic out.  The remote by me has optical out for an outboard DAC/AMP, chat out to go to Xbox, and the controls to change settings, inputs, etc.  I'd pay decent money for that sort of a wireless solution, on top of the headphones and DAC/AMP I'd use.

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #28,259 of 48,566
  It's using a different algorithm and it does output mixed virtual surround but that's beside the point, the headset extension cable has a 2.5mm port on the cable itself so it would completely bypass the X7 or Xbox One internal hardware. There are some cons of this setup mainly:

a) These cables are hard to come by on their own, one would have to buy entire Recon 3d just for this cable or ask Evshrug whther he's using his cable and if not buy just the cable from him.
I may politely ask the guy I gave my Recon to if I can have just the cable back and just send it to You if You agree to cover the shipping costs.

b) Game/chat balance would be kinda tricky.

Here is a quick layout 

Check this diagram out and see if this is what you're thinking on using just that Recon cable/adaptor with an X7 setup. You would be using the "D" cable from the Recon3D as a way to mix in the chat audio.  Like you said the mixing would be tricky, maybe it would be still too low as well though.  i'd like to test it with running the chat line (CYAN) out of the "Y" splitter to the back of the X7 and adjust the levels of the X7 inputs via software like user salbando is doing. But I dont have an X7 (yet, lol) to check it out.

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #28,260 of 48,566
This is exactly what I had in mind, as for the mixing, maybe maxing out the volume on the chat adapter + maxing out chat audio in system settings would be enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back