Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 29, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #28,021 of 48,562
Eh, I want one simply because I know that if I keep playing claw, I'll seriously mess up my hands. Have I plunked down $100 for one yet? Nope. But maybe after Christmas bonus?
I have a Mixamp 5.8
The Mixamp has noticable backdrop hiss, separation and depth of soundstage is noticably flattened but direction is still pretty decent, the Mixamp sounds noticeably weak and sometimes too quiet when you mix in chat audio, like even a little chat audio (to low to yet hear) reduces the maximum output volume. The Mixamp pro has slightly less hiss but the amp is also slightly less powerful.

The X7 is...

The X7 is... is...is? Hahaha can't wait for the full review Evs!

Dec 29, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #28,022 of 48,562
I posted this on the K7xx thread, but it would apply to anyone who has a K702 Annie or K712.

Ive had the K7xx for a few days, and now whenever I wear them I get a lot of pressure on my right ear and jaw, much more than my left, and it doesn't seem to go away, which I thought is something the memory foam is supposed to do, settle and provide even pressure. I did NOT notice this on the first day, where I wore them for hours and thought they were one of the most comfortable headphones Ive ever worn. Did anyone every experience this or have any possible tips for this? Maybe a way to make the memory foam settle faster or some minor adjustments I can try? It just seems weird that I feel so much more pressure on the right on a headphone with memory pads as good as these. 

Dec 29, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #28,023 of 48,562
I have a slimline Marantz AVR (NR1601, silver) with Dolby Headphone for sale if anyone wants to buy one (UK). It has HDMI passthrough and can take a 7.1 LPCM input via HDMI and 'virtualise' it with Dolby Headphone. Soundwhoring w/ Q701 is noticeably better than anything from Turtle Beach or Astro - it's a much better quality piece of kit and can take an uncompressed 7.1 source rather than the 5.1 with lossy compression that everything else uses.

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #28,025 of 48,562
Halo 5 beta started today and my wife and baby are out of town for two more days.  I think I'm going to bring my Project Ember and LCD-2 into the living room and see how they do for gaming.  

Overkill?  Perhaps.

Amusing?  Definitely!

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #28,026 of 48,562
Can anyone speak to how the Soundmagic HP150 compares to the Fidelio X2? I love what I'm hearing about the X2, but the Soundmagics are $179, shipped, versus $321 shipped for the Fidelios from Amazon (pay tax at Amazon here in NJ). Can anyone say the X2s are $140 better? 

Also, are the X2s significantly better all-arounders? 

I'm guessing the answer is probably yes to both questions, but I'd figure I'd ask. 

Dec 30, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #28,027 of 48,562
Can anyone speak to how the Soundmagic HP150 compares to the Fidelio X2? I love what I'm hearing about the X2, but the Soundmagics are $179, shipped, versus $321 shipped for the Fidelios from Amazon (pay tax at Amazon here in NJ). Can anyone say the X2s are $140 better? 

I'm guessing the answer is probably yes to both questions, but I'd figure I'd ask. 

Get both, if you can, and return the one you like, least. I learned a good while ago that your own ears are the best to answer questions as such.

Dec 30, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #28,029 of 48,562

I haven't heard the X2 but I used to own the X1 and I own the HP100, which is the same as the HP150 according to most people who have heard both.

First thing to note is that the HP150 is closed vs the open X2.  That's going to make a big difference in the overall sound right there.  As a general rule of thumb, for gaming, if you don't need closed cans (due to playing in a noisy environment, or in a quiet environment with others nearby) you should go open.

That said, the HP100 is surprisingly good for gaming.  The sound signatures of the HP100 and X1 are somewhat different.  The HP100 is very neutral with a slight sub-bass bump.  The X1 is very bass-heavy (comparatively speaking) for a more "fun" sound signature.  Supposedly the X2 has backed off the bass a bit, but I suspect they're still bassier in character than the more neutral HP100.

They're different creatures so it's almost apples and oranges, but not that bad.  It's more... apples and pears.  lol

I think they're both very good all-arounders with slightly different areas of specialty.  You'll be happy with either.  I haven't heard the X2, but I'll go out on a limb and say they're not going to be nearly twice as good as the HP150, as the price would imply.

Have you looked into the AKG K612?  It's in the same price range as the HP150 but it's open and it's also supposed to be a great all-arounder.

Dec 30, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #28,030 of 48,562
Hi ChangeisGood--

Funds are tight, so I think I may try the Soundmagics to save the cash. I'll let everyone know what I t hink.

Thanks,
Shuto

Great decision, and probably the same I would have made. I own the HP200, and like it better than the X2 :)

My whole point was not to persuade you to actually get both, but for you to understand that "which is better?" is not a very good question to ask in this hobby. Opinions, here, are entirely subjective, as many people hear differently and have different preferences in sound signature. It is always best to just ask how each headphone sounds, then see if it matches your own preference.

Enjoy those HP150s! I am eager to try them, myself, as I also used to own the HP100. SoundMAGIC is often overlooked when it comes to their full size headphones. That is sad because the price per performance is outstanding :)

Dec 30, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #28,031 of 48,562
Eh, I want one simply because I know that if I keep playing claw, I'll seriously mess up my hands. Have I plunked down $100 for one yet? Nope. But maybe after Christmas bonus?
I have a Mixamp 5.8
The Mixamp has noticable backdrop hiss, separation and depth of soundstage is noticably flattened but direction is still pretty decent, the Mixamp sounds noticeably weak and sometimes too quiet when you mix in chat audio, like even a little chat audio (to low to yet hear) reduces the maximum output volume. The Mixamp pro has slightly less hiss but the amp is also slightly less powerful.

The X7 is...

That's what I want to know, if playing BF4 with X7 gives better sound than mixamp.

I waiting too for your X7 review. :)

But i'm somewhat apprehensive when i read here that there are problems with mix chat on X7 that doesn't working, is it true?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/745916/sound-blaster-x7-impressions-thoughts/30

Dec 30, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #28,032 of 48,562
Sound Quality wise, without comparing SBX vs DH, X7 will sound better, at least on paper or specs wise since I have not had listened to it yet.

Although comparing sound quality feom my SB Z to my friends Astro mix amp pro 2013, to me SB Z sounds better and SB Z sound better compared to my Recon3D USB, IMO of course.

Dec 30, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #28,033 of 48,562
[the HP200, and like it better than the X2 :)

Thanks, @ChangeisGoood and @stillheart! Yes, I meant the HP200, since it's open-back, my mistake. Do you guys like them as all-rounders as well? I listen to a wide range of music, including a lot of metal. Also, are the Shure Alcantra pads that big of an upgrade, comfort-wise? Thanks again!

Shuto

Dec 30, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #28,034 of 48,562
@Evshrug
@Conquerator2

Will this setup work for mix audio on PS4 party? a 3.5jack mic connect to X7, and control the mix audio chat/game on Android app?

B47sJM.jpg

I apologize for question, but has not yet become clear to me if mic/X7 issue is due to X7 mic, USB external mic or 3.5 Jack mic which is what use with K702 on mixamp.

Dec 30, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #28,035 of 48,562
@Evshrug will need to confirm, but my understanding is that currently it will NOT work like that on the PS4, only on the PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back