Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 1, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #27,391 of 48,566
OK ALRIGHT geez...
I finally have an HD capable camera.
Might make an extra vid just about wiring setups.
Well, there's one incoming.
Define "serious." I'm not a very serious man.

IS IT READY YET?!

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #27,395 of 48,566
Been playing around with my X2s and X1s for a few days now. I texted my wife and told her I was in love before the 2nd song was over on my initial X2 listening. That dark sound is gone from the X1s and the bass is still very present especially compared to the AKG 712 which I didn't hate...but I didn't love either.

Everything feels more clear on the X2s but it doesn't sound obnoxiously flat like the AKG 712. I didn't feel anything special about the 712 besides the lightweight construction and color scheme which was beautiful IMO. 

After a few days of comparing the X1s and 2s, the X1s bass has more impact and carries longer. I guess that's the boomy and loose terms commonly used to describe the X1s. The X2s do not hit as hard but they have much more impact than the 712s.

I won't have enough time to test them both out for gaming but I remember loving the X1s during Alien Isolation. 

Anyone with the X2s think the backstep in bass will hurt single player immersion?

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #27,396 of 48,566
No, because the bass is still quite present and potent when it needs to be. The X1's bass is one-notish and loose in comparison. This may be good for pure bassheads, but for those with a taste for bass and quality, will definitely prefer the X2 instead.

I have been using the x2 for gaming, and I love their immersion, especially since it doesn't cover up details as much as the X1 did at times of strong bass.

The X2 still isn't super tight in bass (though definitely tighter than the X1), and has some lingering decay. While that sounds bad for those who want super tight bass, I actually PREFER some decay, as it leaves it's mark and presence instead of disappearing too quickly. It adds some immersion in comparison to headphones with super quick bass.

I'll call it harmonic resonance.

Dec 1, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #27,397 of 48,566
No, because the bass is still quite present and potent when it needs to be. The X1's bass is one-notish and loose in comparison. This may be good for pure bassheads, but for those with a taste for bass and quality, will definitely prefer the X2 instead.

I have been using the x2 for gaming, and I love their immersion, especially since it doesn't cover up details as much as the X1 did at times of strong bass.

The X2 still isn't super tight in bass (though definitely tighter than the X1), and has some lingering decay. While that sounds bad for those who want super tight bass, I actually PREFER some decay, as it leaves it's mark and presence instead of disappearing too quickly. It adds some immersion in comparison to headphones with super quick bass.

I'll call it harmonic resonance.

I made my wife test out the 712s and the X1s a few weeks back and she much preferred the X1s. But after about 40 minutes of a few songs back to back with the X1s and X2s she preferred the X2s. That's saying alot since they ran my $70 more and she knew they did. I was expecting the inevitable "which ones were the cheaper ones?".

But she couldn't pick up what I meant by darker sounding. I am not an audiophile in anyway but that is one term I immediately recognize with the X1s. Why do they sound dark? It's not veiled...just....dark.

The X2s lost alot of that at least to my ears. Anyone else feel that way?

Dec 1, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #27,398 of 48,566
It's because they're is a pretty notice tilt towards the bottom end with the X1. The bass and lower mids are emphasized over everything else, which is why it's dark. That is how all dark headphones are. Bass and lower mids first. The X2's bass to mid transition is not as tilted towards the bass, which is why it isn't dark sounding. Most of the bass frequencies on the X2 are on the level of the mids and treble with the X2, giving it a more neutral tonality. The X1's mids and treble never manages to meet the bass line.

Dec 1, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #27,399 of 48,566
It's because they're is a pretty notice tilt towards the bottom end with the X1. The bass and lower mids are emphasized over everything else, which is why it's dark. That is how all dark headphones are. Bass and lower mids first. The X2's bass to mid transition is not as tilted towards the bass, which is why it isn't dark sounding. Most of the bass frequencies on the X2 are on the level of the mids and treble with the X2, giving it a more neutral tonality. The X1's mids and treble never manages to meet the bass line.

Ok, glad I am not crazy then. Thanks for the help! It's embarrassing the amount of time I spent reading your reviews over and over and tossing and turning on which phones to try. I am glad I took your X1 recommendation because they are amazing IMO. And they led me to the X2s which I think is exactly what I want. So thank you!

Dec 1, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #27,400 of 48,566
To add, there is nearly double the decibel differences between bass and mids on the X1 compared to the X2. There is about 10+db difference between the strongest bass point on the X1, and it's midrange, while the X2's generally falls between 2-5db at it's worst.

Also going by Tyll's graphs, the X1 and X2 are very similar after a certain point in the upper mids, which is why they sound alike up top, other than the 8khz notch, and stronger peak at 10khz. So if you play a lot of music that puts a lot of importance up there, they can sound quite similar.

Db = loudness, so when bass is quite a bit louder than certain ranges in the mids... it can warm up the sound considerably.

The X1 and X2 share a LOT in common, but it's biggest difference is between the meat of the sound between the bass up to just over 1khz. The X1 slopes down towards 1khz, while the X2 stays linear. That is where the biggest change occured, and what gives them their different tonality. That and the 8khz pit on the X2 which shaves off ear fatigue, and more treble after 10khz, which gives it more air.

Dec 1, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #27,401 of 48,566
To add, there is nearly double the decibel differences between bass and mids on the X1 compared to the X2. There is about 10+db difference between the strongest bass point on the X1, and it's midrange, while the X2's generally falls between 2-5db at it's worst.

Also going by Tyll's graphs, the X1 and X2 are very similar after a certain point in the upper mids, which is why they sound alike up top, other than the 8khz notch, and stronger peak at 10khz. So if you play a lot of music that puts a lot of importance up there, they can sound quite similar.

Db = loudness, so when bass is quite a bit louder than certain ranges in the mids... it can warm up the sound considerably.

The X1 and X2 share a LOT in common, but it's biggest difference is between the meat of the sound between the bass up to just over 1khz. That is where the biggest change occured, and what gives them their different tonality. That and the 8khz pit on the X2 which shaves off ear fatigue, and more treble after 10khz, which gives it more air.

I guess that explains how I feel about them. I don't know if they are perfect but to my untrained ears they sound great. I probably should keep it this way because I don't want to catch the sickness. I don't make the money to support it.

Dec 1, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #27,402 of 48,566
I'm terrible at writing, so this is going to be more rambling than a review.

Don't remember who suggested it a few pages back, but the Philips SHP-9500 is pretty solid for anyone looking for entry level gaming phones. I would equate them to a budget version of the X1, I was looking for some headphones for a friend and came across these on ebay. I'm not sure we could have done any better for $76. I have had AD700's, PC360's and X1's prior to these.

The earpads, like the X1's are not replaceable. The ear cups are shallower than the X1's, so your ears will touch the insides similar the AD700's. This personally never bothered me, but I know some people will be bothered by this. The ear cups are however bigger in diameter than the X1's, so people with large ears shouldn't have any issues there. The headband is adjustable so people with large heads shouldn't have difficulties expanding it for their head.

Sound wise, I would say it falls somewhere in the middle of the dark X1's and the bright AD700's. Positioning/soundstage is among the best I have heard. I would say it falls in between the AD700's and the PC360's. Even during heavy gun fights I had no issues with directionality, whereas with the X1's, the bass will take over and cloud positioning at times.

It also comes with a detachable 3.5mm cable that connects under the left ear cup. This makes it a perfect candidate for a Vmoda Boompro. For people with a budget of around $100 for a headset, I'm not sure what combo might have better value.

Dec 2, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #27,405 of 48,566
I just updated my signature and realized that I need to sell some headphones...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back