Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 16, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #26,958 of 48,562
Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting new headphones.

The PC 350 SE ones I got sound tinny and I think there's something wrong with them. I'm considering the 558s, and I wonder how they are for gaming. 

An amp is required to drive those PC 350 SE. Their impedance is at 150ohm. My Recon3D USB drives them ok, although an AMP would bring out a bit more from them.

I currently own them and honestly, not a bad headset. Soundstage is ok for a closed headphone. Better than the a40s to some extent

Nov 16, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #26,959 of 48,562
An amp is required to drive those PC 350 SE. Their impedance is at 150ohm. My Recon3D USB drives them ok, although an AMP would bring out a bit more from them.

I currently own them and honestly, not a bad headset. Soundstage is ok for a closed headphone. Better than the a40s to some extent

Do you think just getting the 558s and a mic would be a much better option for gaming? 

Nov 16, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #26,960 of 48,562
Has anyone tried both the official microsoft headset adapter and the turtle beach ear force headset adapter, that comes with the xo one and four I believe, with the same headphones? Just wondering if one is better quality that the other. I game with Sennheiser Momentum over ears to a turtle beach DSS for my X1 and PS4 and have been wanting to add chat so I'm thinking of adding a modmic but I think occasionally (out of laziness) I would just run audio from the controllers so I was just wondering if that ear force adapter was any better or louder for sound (I know it has bass boost) than the factory microsoft one, which I thought was a bit quiet with the Microsoft stereo headset

Nov 16, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #26,961 of 48,562
Only issue is I have no desire for a console headset. I'm already strongly set on the Fidelio X2 and the Modmic. Still trying to confirm though if you can not use the computer soundcard as a console virtual surround device.

EDIT: nvm. It's been confirmed for me.

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #26,962 of 48,562
Only issue is I have no desire for a console headset. I'm already strongly set on the Fidelio X2 and the Modmic. Still trying to confirm though if you can not use the computer soundcard as a console virtual surround device.

Those X2's should be awesome. I had the X1's for about a year, still one of my favorite headphones to date. Super comfortable, incredible sound, and strong bass. There was something about the Momentums that pulled towards using those more (not sure what) but I ended up selling the X1's and keeping the momentums but I should've held on to them

Nov 16, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #26,963 of 48,562

EDIT: nvm. It's been confirmed for me.

With the X2s and their 35.mm jack, I'd get the V-moda Boom mic instead.  Cleaner setup than the modmic.

And NO, I believe most PC soundcards won't accept a 5.1 DD input from a console and thus won't work as a surround processor for an external console.  Most are 2 channel inputs on the optical in.

Nov 16, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #26,968 of 48,562
Btw is there anyway to get a mic to work with Xbox one without the **** headset adapter.

Nope.  This is one of the things I don't like about the Xbox one.  They nickel and dime you on the hardware.  It's a good thing the software is so good...

Nov 16, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #26,969 of 48,562
Do you think just getting the 558s and a mic would be a much better option for gaming? 

I suppose it could be a better set up. I mean, you will have some clutter with the wires. If you want to keep the the 350 SE, buy an amp, either way, down the road you will need one for other heaphones. Go for a Magni or Fiio e12. I currently have a fiio e11 that cost me 20 bucks used but like new. Not the best amp but good enough for my current needs. Im sure you will be able to find a good price on a used amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back