Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 16, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #26,538 of 48,562
The reason the mixamp has hiss is because the microphone's sound is mixed with the game sound...the microphone has noise and the mixamp first amplifies it and then mixes it with the game sound....amplified noise == louder noise...try connecting your microphone to a pc and raise the Mic's volume to the maximum...then use the sound recorder in windows to record...just record without saying anything...then listen to it...it has a noticeable noise...

therefore, mixamp is not at fault here...it is the poor microphones that we use...don't want noise in mixamp ? use a super duper low noise microphone that would probably cost 1 grand or more....

Still get hiss with a USB mic. Your theory is off.

Oct 16, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #26,539 of 48,562

is the PS4 able to recognize all your voice commands with your setup? any issues?

Not really tested much, i just got the mixamp this week, but atm is recognized by ps4 as a usb chat device (to what i understand), and have no issues that i have no notice, everything is working to what i know.  If you tell me what you want to test ill do it.

Oct 16, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #26,540 of 48,562
Ah. AH. WHALE THEN. HOW WAS IT?

+1.
I am also kinda curios about the Kingsound planars. There hasnt really been much info about them, though I perhaps remember reading one praising review and one criticizing it :)

Oct 16, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #26,541 of 48,562
  Not really tested much, i just got the mixamp this week, but atm is recognized by ps4 as a usb chat device (to what i understand), and have no issues that i have no notice, everything is working to what i know.  If you tell me what you want to test ill do it.

can you give the voice commands a test?
for example
go to the upper row of icons on your PS4
Say: PlayStation (a popup should appear)
Say: Home Screen (should drop you back down)*

*For me, the PS4 cannot catch "Home Screen" command when I connected the Mic to the Mixamp, stating that my volume is too loud (and I have it set to the lowest). This works fine when the Mic is plugged directly to the DS4 though (and no such issue with my previous Wireless Pulse Elite headset).

and to clarify, did you plug the mic/controller input on the Mixamp to the DS4? 

Oct 16, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #26,544 of 48,562

It's suppose to be... That's what the USB on the mixamp is for. It can't send it through the optical :wink:

Oct 16, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #26,545 of 48,562
+1.
I am also kinda curios about the Kingsound planars. There hasnt really been much info about them, though I perhaps remember reading one praising review and one criticizing it
smily_headphones1.gif

we did a review on headphone.guru of the Kingsound

Oct 16, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #26,546 of 48,562
Hi all,

I have been a lurker on this forum for a long time now but you have to now that I am so grateful for all the things you all thought me about audio.
Especially @Mad_Lust_Envy for creating and maintaining this extensive guide.

A couple years ago I had to find a way to get good sound without upsetting my wife an neighbors.
After a quick Google search I came across this thread and months of reading and headaches followed.
I settled for the Astro mixamp 5.8 and a Creative Aurvana Live and I had served me well for almost a year.
The poor build quality and the fact that kids use my stuff from time to time, did not made the CAL survive longer.
I still got the CAL in the hope I will get the guts one day to solder a new cable to it.
The AT AD900X have been the replacement ever since.

I own both the 360 and PS3 but I never played online on the PS3.
The biggest reason why I switched from 360 to the PS4 is the cable between the Mixamp Rx and the controller.
It was shocked that this still was a thing in 2014. Especially because the PS3 had superb Bluetooth support.
I was convinced that Sony wouldn't let these simple features untouched and would release an update soon.
But I've had the console for 3 months now and the updates have been meaningless.
After spending more time researching I was convinced that the discontinued Astro PS3 USB chat cable would solve my problems.
That was more difficult than expected. These cable were going for £30 in Ebay Auctions.
I managed to win one but it was with 2x Mixamp 5.8. So I'm having the privilege of owning 3 complete setups now and a angry wife.
At least I got the USB-3.5mm cable so I could chat without being tethered to the controller.
But I think it is not meant to be.
The PS4 is recognizing the cable as a headset but I fail to get any chat audio through the headphones.
It is working with the TB PS4 chat cable but not with the Astro PS3 usb chat cable.

Is there any way I could check if there is actually audio coming from the PS4 usb port to the Mixamp TX?
I have changed all setting to the ones that have been listed on this forum but I fail to get any chat audio.
Do I need to add anything to my setup?
Really hope that some can find the time to help me to get it working as it should.

Oct 16, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #26,547 of 48,562
  Hi all,

I have been a lurker on this forum for a long time now but you have to now that I am so grateful for all the things you all thought me about audio.
Especially @Mad_Lust_Envy for creating and maintaining this extensive guide.

A couple years ago I had to find a way to get good sound without upsetting my wife an neighbors.
After a quick Google search I came across this thread and months of reading and headaches followed.
I settled for the Astro mixamp 5.8 and a Creative Aurvana Live and I had served me well for almost a year.
The poor build quality and the fact that kids use my stuff from time to time, did not made the CAL survive longer.
I still got the CAL in the hope I will get the guts one day to solder a new cable to it.
The AT AD900X have been the replacement ever since.

I own both the 360 and PS3 but I never played online on the PS3.
The biggest reason why I switched from 360 to the PS4 is the cable between the Mixamp Rx and the controller.
It was shocked that this still was a thing in 2014. Especially because the PS3 had superb Bluetooth support.
I was convinced that Sony wouldn't let these simple features untouched and would release an update soon.
But I've had the console for 3 months now and the updates have been meaningless.
After spending more time researching I was convinced that the discontinued Astro PS3 USB chat cable would solve my problems.
That was more difficult than expected. These cable were going for £30 in Ebay Auctions.
I managed to win one but it was with 2x Mixamp 5.8. So I'm having the privilege of owning 3 complete setups now and a angry wife.
At least I got the USB-3.5mm cable so I could chat without being tethered to the controller.
But I think it is not meant to be.
The PS4 is recognizing the cable as a headset but I fail to get any chat audio through the headphones.
It is working with the TB PS4 chat cable but not with the Astro PS3 usb chat cable.

Is there any way I could check if there is actually audio coming from the PS4 usb port to the Mixamp TX?
I have changed all setting to the ones that have been listed on this forum but I fail to get any chat audio.
Do I need to add anything to my setup?
Really hope that some can find the time to help me to get it working as it should.

Dude, just buy ps4 chat cable (4 pole minijack to the controller, 2.5 microjack to the mixamp (like the xbox uses)

Oct 16, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #26,548 of 48,562
Hi mate , thank you for your reply. 
I own the cable that you are talking about and this is how i have been using it for now
Hope you don't think I'm a nag but I get so fed up with being connected to the controller.
I was doing that 10 years ago , was hoping to get rid of that this day and age.
The little time I spend chatting on the PS3 , I use the official PS3 Bluetooth Headset.
It even had a little stand so you could use it while it was charging on your desk. I thought it was brilliant.
But without any reason that I can think of , they dropped the support of their own peripherals.
It most likely the fact that they want you to buy their licensed PS4 accessories.   
  Dude, just buy ps4 chat cable (4 pole minijack to the controller, 2.5 microjack to the mixamp (like the xbox uses)

Oct 16, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #26,549 of 48,562
  Hi mate , thank you for your reply. 
I own the cable that you are talking about and this is how i have been using it for now
Hope you don't think I'm a nag but I get so fed up with being connected to the controller.
I was doing that 10 years ago , was hoping to get rid of that this day and age.
The little time I spend chatting on the PS3 , I use the official PS3 Bluetooth Headset.
It even had a little stand so you could use it while it was charging on your desk. I thought it was brilliant.
But without any reason that I can think of , they dropped the support of their own peripherals.
It most likely the fact that they want you to buy their licensed PS4 accessories.   

Not really, bluetooth headsets work with the PS4 after the 1.5 fw update. As for the Astro TX, it doesn't do chat audio via usb as far as I know

Oct 16, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #26,550 of 48,562
and to clarify, did you plug the mic/controller input on the Mixamp to the DS4? 

No, the PS4 is connected to the MixAmp via USB for the chat, and the Optical for the Audio.  I don't connect anything to my ps4 controller.

Ill try the commands you requested tomorrow or saturday, im on the road for couple of days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back