Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 22, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #26,206 of 48,566
The amp inside the Mixamp will always affect the output/sound quality, but double amping can be a benefit and improve the dynamics of the sound.

If it helps you feel better, I have both a wireless mixamp and a DSS. Used to have a Recon3D USB too. Both the DSS and Recon3D USB have far less noisy amps, and it's surprising how loud the DSS can get.
Well, not to sound like a d**k, but you're half right. That article is about surround output... Not surround input to the card from the PS4.

thanks. so in the end you kept the Mixamp over the other options, cause it's better right? I spent quite sometime reading on this but the Mixamp seemed like the simplest solution with the best ease of use (mixer controls etc).

hmm. yea on Amp, I'm actually thinking of getting a Schiit Magni (and maybe the Modi Optical for PC use as well to make it the Stack) so I don't have to switch my headphones between my PC and PS4. can't decide though.

on that creative link, how does that work? it's for me to plug my Sound card via RCA/line out to an Amp. to avoid the amp. on my Sound card right?

Sep 22, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #26,207 of 48,566
why akg 550 isn't on the list, they are really good in gaming

Sep 22, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #26,209 of 48,566
You could also get a mildly used K612 for around 120$ shipped... 'Wink' 'Wink' 'Poke' 'Poke' 
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #26,210 of 48,566
thanks. so in the end you kept the Mixamp over the other options, cause it's better right? I spent quite sometime reading on this but the Mixamp seemed like the simplest solution with the best ease of use (mixer controls etc).

Do more research. This has been addressed many times. Each has its own pros and cons.

Sep 22, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #26,211 of 48,566
hm, some reviews show k550 are with surprisingly a very big soundstage anyway, and ppl ditching 701 for k550, weird? neverminding the closed type :V

Sep 22, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #26,212 of 48,566
  hm, some reviews show k550 are with surprisingly a very big soundstage anyway, and ppl ditching 701 for k550, weird? neverminding the closed type :V

I looked into the K550 for a little while when I was looking for a closed can for work.  Nothing I read about the 550 or 551, or later the K545 (which is, according to everything I've read, better than the 550/551) made me think there was any reason to ditch the 701 for it.

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #26,214 of 48,566

guess I got alot more to look into now :/
now to find a way to reduce that hiss/noise - read that separating that USB cable into power and data lines actually help?

It does but not with these devices. The hiss comes from the device itself and not from the pc/console. Separating usb cable won't help

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #26,215 of 48,566
thanks. so in the end you kept the Mixamp over the other options, cause it's better right?

No.
I only got the wireless Mixamp 5.8 in the first place because it seemed like the best option for wireless surround, but I never use it and it's sat disconnected in the living room for months. I hate plugging my controller into a thing on my hip, managing batteries, and it has the "dirtiest" sound quality of all the devices I've tried. The Recon3D had the least clutter and a cleaner sound (and the surround was more realistic and versatile for me), and more versatile, I only sold it because I wanted my friend to have a good solution and I already had an Omni to use on PC.

An Astro Mixamp isn't bad, for many people it's their favorite, but it's not a hi-Fi device and not my favorite.

Sep 22, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #26,217 of 48,566
  Do you have to use the mixamp cable for the microphone to work through the xbox one? I bought a generic cable and 2.5mm adapter and I cannot chat when plugged into the mixamp.

Headphone+Mic into Y-adapter into Mixamp
2.5mm Chat cable from mixamp to Xbone controller (with the chat adapter).

Sep 22, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #26,218 of 48,566
No.
I only got the wireless Mixamp 5.8 in the first place because it seemed like the best option for wireless surround, but I never use it and it's sat disconnected in the living room for months. I hate plugging my controller into a thing on my hip, managing batteries, and it has the "dirtiest" sound quality of all the devices I've tried. The Recon3D had the least clutter and a cleaner sound (and the surround was more realistic and versatile for me), and more versatile, I only sold it because I wanted my friend to have a good solution and I already had an Omni to use on PC.

An Astro Mixamp isn't bad, for many people it's their favorite, but it's not a hi-Fi device and not my favorite.

ah. i see. okay I recall your positive words on the Recon3D a few pages that. but oh well, guess I have to put that aside for now.

and yea :/ need a console solution. 
  It does but not with these devices. The hiss comes from the device itself and not from the pc/console. Separating usb cable won't help

hmm oh well. really hope the hiss won't annoy me that much then

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #26,219 of 48,566
ah. i see. okay I recall your positive words on the Recon3D a few pages that. but oh well, guess I have to put that aside for now.

and yea :/ need a console solution. 
hmm oh well. really hope the hiss won't annoy me that much then

This thread is (usually) focused on console solutions.

Just so everybody else knows, welfare has an Asus STX soundcard that he'll be judging anything else against.

You'll definitely notice the hiss in a Mixamp compared to that, the Zx won't sound hissy but the ACM will degrade the sound compared to the Z or just plugging the headphones straight into the soundcard's jack, and currently no console surround processor can sound as clear as the STX soundcard you have for your PC... A high-end vintage Marantz might sound as good or better, but I've never read anyone compare those receivers SQ to a receiver.

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #26,220 of 48,566
This thread is (usually) focused on console solutions.

Just so everybody else knows, welfare has an Asus STX soundcard that he'll be judging anything else against.

You'll definitely notice the hiss in a Mixamp compared to that, the Zx won't sound hissy but the ACM will degrade the sound compared to the Z or just plugging the headphones straight into the soundcard's jack, and currently no console surround processor can sound as clear as the STX soundcard you have for your PC... A high-end vintage Marantz might sound as good or better, but I've never read anyone compare those receivers SQ to a receiver.

I think you misunderstood me man. I said I owned a STX before I switched over to my Audinst HUD-MX1. Which means I no longer have it (Sorry if my grammar created any confusion). I sold the STX off then because I used a Speaker set-up mainly for my PC and just TV out for my PS3.

But having used the Sony Wireless PULSE Elite and getting the PS4, I felt like I wanted to get something better. And thinking back on my STX, I am hoping to get something as good, if not better (I have this strange notion that if I'm upgrading, it should be a vertical one and not a horizontal one).

It would be great if my new set up of
Philips Fidelio X1 + Soundblaster ZX beat the AE AegoM + Audinst Hud-mx1 in terms of SQ (and hopefully betters or matches the STX SQ)

and for console I sure hope that
Philips Fidelio X1 + BoomPro + Mixamp beat the Sony Wireless Pulse Elite in SQ and Surround effect

and yes I do hope that I can integrate both PC and PS4 so I thought have to plug my headphones in and out and have cables running all over (and constantly reach out to the rear jacks on my PC)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back