Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 2, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #25,786 of 48,562
The HE-4 has little in common with the HE-400. The HE-4 is the airiest Hifiman planar outside of the 560. It sounds like a planar DT880, to be honest. The HE400 has a thicker bass and lower mids, but the dip in the upper mids to the massive treble spike afterward make it sound...different.

Evs, from what I have seen on headfi, the K602 and K612 are essentially the same sounding headphone and hard to tell apart. I believe it was Zombie who had both. Not entirely sure though.

The 612 certainly sounds just like what I envisioned the 601 to sound like based on it's graphs.

Sep 2, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #25,787 of 48,562
I might be willing to pair with my K612, MA900 or both... Fetch me a PM if interested. MA900 would be 200$ shipped, K612 would be 150$ shipped, both come in original packaging w/ all accessories [MA900 - pouch, 1/4 adapter, K612 - 1/4 adapter.]
I figured it's related 
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #25,788 of 48,562
Thanks Mad. So I guess the question is, between used units, is a newer unit (with black color scheme) worth $45 more than a 5 year old unit with yellowed pads (apparently a common thing).

Meh, probably could just get the older one and new pads? Or would that end up costing more than the new one? Lol

Sep 2, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #25,789 of 48,562
for the 5.8 on the PS4,you guys just don't have the usb cable right, that's why you say you have to use the cable to the controller?

Because mine works great every day...with the usb cable it came with

Sep 2, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #25,790 of 48,562
Still,
The AKGs and brain burn-in do something to us, make us fairly more excited about great mids. Mad is part of that group "in the know" that the HE-400 have a lot of chops and are an amazing value, I think with an amp HE400 with the velour Earpads would satisfy and thrill many people of the typical sound character taste... I might've bought them from him if vocals were more forward and the headphones weren't the craziest most open headphones I've ever encountered! Did the HE560 change sound if your hands were within half a foot of the earcups? I found that fascinating!

The opposite of a v- or u-shaped headphone would be an n-shaped headphone, cuz, you know, it looks the most like an upside down n. A headphone like that is rare, IMO the MA900 is the most n-shaped I've heard.

I saw a pair of MA900 on the deals thread and almost jumped on it, but it was $old by the time I got there. Now I'm contemplating a K601 or K612, the former is cheaper and more impulse-worthy. Anyone know if the sound changed at all between the K601 and K612?

I have an eBay listing for the Q701 ready except for pictures, I wonder if it'd sell for a better price there or here?

I found the K612 is a tad warmer and slightly smoother/darker up top than the K601, that's about the only difference. Quite minute differences.

Sep 2, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #25,791 of 48,562
  for the 5.8 on the PS4,you guys just don't have the usb cable right, that's why you say you have to use the cable to the controller?

So you're running the optical and USB to the PS4 from the Tx, the headphone/mic cable from the headphones to the Rx and nothing between the controller and the Rx?

Sep 2, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #25,792 of 48,562
Evs, from what I have seen on headfi, the K602 and K612 are essentially the same sounding headphone and hard to tell apart. I believe it was Zombie who had both. Not entirely sure though.

The 612 certainly sounds just like what I envisioned the 601 to sound like based on it's graphs.

Thanks Mad. So I guess the question is, between used units, is a newer unit (with black color scheme) worth $45 more than a 5 year old unit with yellowed pads (apparently a common thing).

Meh, probably could just get the older one and new pads? Or would that end up costing more than the new one? Lol

You should just have done that trade when you had the chance... LoL

I found the K612 is a tad warmer and slightly smoother/darker up top than the K601, that's about the only difference. Quite minute differences.

^This, according to Zombie, as well, when he compared my K612 to his K601...

Sep 2, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #25,793 of 48,562

Mine came with the discontinued cable, but I loaned the whole kit before I tested that part and I take the other guy at his word when he said it arrived non-functional. Though at that point I'd only had the kit a month, Astro doesn't warranty replace discontinued products.

A little smoother and easy listening (with good mids and extension) is what I want.

You should just have done that trade when you had the chance... LoL

Nyan nyi nyan nyaaah :p
I offered that trade and the other person said okay, I had given my address and everything, but the other person changed their mind and backed out.

Also, a sorta fun diversion for Destiny fans:
http://destinyplanetview.com

Sep 2, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #25,794 of 48,562
Also, a sorta fun diversion for Destiny fans:
http://destinyplanetview.com

With a prize at the end for checking out the whole thing.

Sep 2, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #25,795 of 48,562
I'm irked that Destiny is coming out so soon. By the time I can dive into the game, everyone else will be so far ahead. I'm not going to stop until I finish Xillia 2. Then there's Diablo 3 which I also intend to at least push through with my first character. This one is a little easier to play at the same time as Destiny. Xillia 2 demands all my attention. CoD Advanced Warfare will come after Destiny, if I even feel remotely bored by Desting at that point. I don't really have much desire to play CoD or any PVP for now. PVE and RPGS.

Sep 2, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #25,796 of 48,562
I'm irked that Destiny is coming out so soon. By the time I can dive into the game, everyone else will be so far ahead. I'm not going to stop until I finish Xillia 2. Then there's Diablo 3 which I also intend to at least push through with my first character. This one is a little easier to play at the same time as Destiny. Xillia 2 demands all my attention. CoD Advanced Warfare will come after Destiny, if I even feel remotely bored by Desting at that point. I don't really have much desire to play CoD or any PVP for now. PVE and RPGS.

I think Ryoko demands all of your attention, my friend.

Sep 2, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #25,797 of 48,562
Hahaha. Man, don't even get me started on that. 50 five minute episodes, and crapton of new characters, and redesigns that lead me to think the characters are gonna be over sexualized and cartoonified to the point of disrespecting the original personalities...

Tenchi died a long time ago for me. Even so, I'm so attached to the original core characters, I can't help but represent. :'(

Sep 2, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #25,798 of 48,562
I, on the other hand, have nothing in my way of Destiny... as of tomorrow...

My fixed (hopefully) PS4 and other replacement controller return... 
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #25,799 of 48,562
Hahaha. Man, don't even get me started on that. 50 five minute episodes, and crapton of new characters, and redesigns that lead me to think the characters are gonna be over sexualized and cartoonified to the point of disrespecting the original personalities...

Tenchi died a long time ago for me. Even so, I'm so attached to the original core characters, I can't help but represent. :'(

Evolution of the harem anime genre. Unfortunately most of them are overly sexualized nowadays. But the Tenchi franchise will always have a soft place in my heart, especially with the original girls. Hopefully we get some more Tsunami, one of my personal favorites.

I think I'm going to re-watch Muyo and some of Universe this week while I'm off work.

Sep 2, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #25,800 of 48,562
I have a strong doubt that Tsunami will be in, as she is original OAV continuity material. Ai Tenchi Muyo seems to be another continuity...yet again. Not that it matters. Kajishima ruined the OAV continuity. I refuse to acknowledge OAV 3 and GXP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back