Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 28, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #25,711 of 48,562
Guys,
I may make a payday impulse buy, but I need help. Which Marantz receiver did Mad have/would I want? I've finally accepted that my entry-level Yamaha does some weird sucking-out of the lower mids (audible in all my hp and speakers) and generally holds back the audio quality, and eBay prices are really attractive.

If I'm just being crazy though, feel free to talk me out of it.

Grenade Out!

Bah, get a Xbone!

Aug 28, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #25,712 of 48,562
Bah, get a Xbone!

B-b-b-but the Destiny love, audio/video quality support, the more interesting non-FPS exclusives for the last generation... And reselling the PS4 would be a waste, downloaded games already have no resale value :frowning2:

Aug 28, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #25,713 of 48,562
B-b-b-but the Destiny love, audio/video quality support, the more interesting non-FPS exclusives for the last generation... And reselling the PS4 would be a waste, downloaded games already have no resale value
frown.gif

Uhh, I don't think you know how much a Marantz receiver costs.  You could easily buy an Xbone without selling the PS4 for the price of a super low-end Marantz.

Aug 28, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #25,714 of 48,562
B-b-b-but the Destiny love, audio/video quality support, the more interesting non-FPS exclusives for the last generation... And reselling the PS4 would be a waste, downloaded games already have no resale value
frown.gif

Check the what hifi site out..they review loads of av receivers..sony do a good one it's called STR-DN1050. P.s you could get one with dolby atmos built into to it!

Aug 28, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #25,716 of 48,562
Is the SR 5600 good? I know it has DH. only have 16 Hr left

As my very first A-V receiver, I was and continue to be highly impressed with this reasonably priced receiver. I've always wanted to own a Marantz product and finally I have it. Build quality is excellent. Solid and heavy. For only $600.00, you do get a great deal of features, power, versatility, and most importantly, great sound. I'm driving B&W speakers with a very good subwoofer which makes the Marantz sound terrific. B&W's are easy to drive. I wouldn't recommend this receiver if you're driving 6 and 4 ohm rated speakers with low sensitivtiy.

I must admit I was fooled at the time that the unit can produce 90 watts x 7 all channels driven. That's not the case. Marantz guarantees 70% of its rated power into 8 ohms when in surround sound mode. The 90 watts is produced when playing in stereo or two channel. I found this out later. But I still love the unit and am still learning about its features and capabilities after all this time. So much to know. I'm primarily a music listener (and DVD concert watcher) and listen mostly in surround sound using (Dolby Pro Logic III Music or Neo 6: Music). Dending on the CD being played of course, this unit can deliver and blow you away. Playing Lee Ritenour's latest CD called "Smoke N Mirrors" for example, it's almost as if the band is right there in your listening room!! It has all of the most current surround sound modes as of mid 2006 but no HDMI video circuity. I honestly don't care about that anyway. Movies and concert DVD's … read morein 5.1 sound stupendous!!

Aug 28, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #25,717 of 48,562
What were you looking for when it came to an AV receiver? I have the sony STR-DN840 and its pretty loaded. I Always wanted to calibrate it well though....I think it might be my speakers that i am having an issue with because mids are about non existent.

Aug 29, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #25,718 of 48,562
Martin,
Don't look at the price that receiver is going for on eBay right now, instead think of all the hours of enjoyment it's given you over the years and continues to do so :)

I just noticed the lack of HDMI circuitry... Just as well though, cuz I also noticed today was my 6th anniversary with my girlfriend, so instead I went out for dinner at a nice restaurant out on a patio. Pretty expensive for a meal, and one night, but I enjoyed it and loving my girlfriend is certainly not an impulse (at least not any more, now it's as natural as breathing).

BNFrank,
I also wondered if my problem was also from poor calibration, but after a few years I just don't think I will figure it out. I know it's not a perfect system, but I'll pick up a model with Audyssey EQ next time I get a receiver so hat it can calibrate itself. And BTW, Nameless and Stillhart probably know a lot more about Foobar than I, who is mainly a content Mac user.

For myself though, I'll soon be picking up a Blue Snowball mic for streaming, maybe she can guest stream with me again sometime as it was really fun streaming The Last of Us together.

Aug 29, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #25,719 of 48,562
  Because if it's the same in every way as the Mixamp but uses DTSHX instead of DH, Mixamp will be dead.  DTS Headphone X is way better.  From the spec sheet it seems to do everything else the Mixamp does, and even includes bluetooth pairing so you can mix your phone with in-game sounds.  Since the Mixamp doesn't have particularly impressive SQ, it's not a stretch to imagine the TAC will be on par.

As to hearing anything about it, I haven't.  But I'll be sure to do some digging at PAX this weekend.  TB should have a booth...

DTS Headphone X draws its main strength from embedded binaural "info" in DTS-HD streams. That's one of the most exciting features I'm looking forward to, but of course it's also dependant on the engineer's will to implement it. 
As for the TAC. 300 Dollars and only 640kbs AC3? That's dissapointing. The SQ needs to be hugely better to justify that price and accept the limited format input. 

Still mad about Creative f up the E5. 

Aug 29, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #25,720 of 48,562
The Q701, K612 would be my recommendations. Or a Stax SR407 if you could afford Stax. It's treble is... just otherworldy. So crisp, so vibrant, without the tizziness of standard bright headphones.

I think the K712 is a bit too warm to represent what he is asking for, though buying K702 pads and using them on the 712 would be ideal.

Thanks for the recommendations man. Just a quickie how would the Senn HD598 be for my recommendations? Can get a pair pretty cheap but if they are not suitable I'll go for the Q701.

Aug 29, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #25,721 of 48,562
Martin,
Don't look at the price that receiver is going for on eBay right now, instead think of all the hours of enjoyment it's given you over the years and continues to do so
smily_headphones1.gif

I just noticed the lack of HDMI circuitry... Just as well though, cuz I also noticed today was my 6th anniversary with my girlfriend, so instead I went out for dinner at a nice restaurant out on a patio. Pretty expensive for a meal, and one night, but I enjoyed it and loving my girlfriend is certainly not an impulse (at least not any more, now it's as natural as breathing).

BNFrank,
I also wondered if my problem was also from poor calibration, but after a few years I just don't think I will figure it out. I know it's not a perfect system, but I'll pick up a model with Audyssey EQ next time I get a receiver so hat it can calibrate itself. And BTW, Nameless and Stillhart probably know a lot more about Foobar than I, who is mainly a content Mac user.

For myself though, I'll soon be picking up a Blue Snowball mic for streaming, maybe she can guest stream with me again sometime as it was really fun streaming The Last of Us together.

That's not my receiver Evshrug, I just found a review for you and went to bed.. we are 5 hours ahead of you here in England.. a night out with your girlfriend sounded like a good choice to me mate..i went out yesterday to get some credit from my local game store and put infamous second son first light on my ps4 but ended up getting dark souls 2 instead for my xbox360..first light is only 4 hours long dark souls 2 will last me ages!

Aug 29, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #25,722 of 48,562
Martin,
Don't look at the price that receiver is going for on eBay right now, instead think of all the hours of enjoyment it's given you over the years and continues to do so :)

BNFrank,

Thanks dude ill get at them... Btw I still haven't been able to set up my Vali since I bought the wrong chord for it. I was flying through monoprice too fast and bought a 2.5 plug instead of 3.5. Need to get an adapter for it so I can plug it into the mix amp... Set something up with me if you want to try it out

Aug 29, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #25,723 of 48,562
I'm planning to get a amp-dac for my q702, hd650 and fidelio x1. Usage will be for games and movies. 
I'm currently using astro mixamp but i think with a better amp/dac i could enjoy the sound a lot more as i feel like mixamp is not good enough anymore. The sound doesn't come strong enough.
My only priority is that it must have an optical input.
So what would you recommend me under $400?
And would an amplifier alone enough or do i also need a dac?
Thanks in advance.

Aug 29, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #25,724 of 48,562
  Hi Mad Lust Envy,

I am really new to the gaming headphone life. Being new and not knowing any better I originally went to Turtle Beach. But I just couldn't find a headphone that really struck my fancy. There was no way I was going to pay 300 dollars for a gaming headset that might break in 6 months. So I did a lot of research and a lot of reading. I eventually came across a site that swore by Sennheiser's. So I ventured into a realm of a true audiophile.

I have looked at the PC 350 SE, PC 323D. I wasn't really sold on the PC 363D.  So for quite some time I was pretty much focused on the PC 350 SE. Then I read some other sites and they swore by the Sennheiser HD 558. So then I was focused on that one. Until I read your forum post about headphones. I really liked the ATH-AD700 from what you had stated. It looked as though it might be one I might be interested in, I even found one that was well priced. But like a fool I passed on it and waited. And when I made my decision it was gone.

So now I am a bit perplexed by all the headphones I have looked at and read about. These headphones will be mainly for consoles. Xbox 360 and the PS4. I do some competitive gaming on the consoles, while I play some games on the PC I don't play anything competitive. A really nice soundstage like the ATH-AD700 would be great or something at least close to that. I would prefer to spend under $300.00. For just the head phones.

Also if you can recommend an decent amp/dac for the headphones that would be great. I had been looking at the Fiio E17 and the Astro 2013 Mixamp. And like I said I am new to this world. So which ever is going to produce the best sound would be beneficial. I will also be needing a mic for any headphones that doesn't have a mic. I already have a sound card for my computer.

Thanks all for helping me for my gaming immersion.

I originally said I was looking for a headphones under $300. Seemed like a good price point. But after learning I should buy a headphone amp to get more out of the headphones and adding a mic. It turned out be a little more than I wanted to spend. Which is why I like the Sennheiser HD 558. They are more in my price range with the extra items I would have to buy. I can always upgrade to the HD 598 in the future, if I like the HD 558. 

I have two basic questions now. Would you recommend the Astro 2013 Mixamp, Fiio E17, or the Fiio E11?

The next question I have is what mic is the best mic? I have seen the modmic, honestly I am not really sold on it. Paying 40 bucks for something that should cost maybe 15 or 20 in my opinion. I would like to find a noise canceling mic, but I believe them to be a bit on the pricey side or another needle in a needle stack. I have looked at Blue Microphones, I know you can make them work on the Xbox 360 and I know they work on the computer, but I am not sure if they work on the PS4.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back