Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 12, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #25,336 of 48,562
Thanks for your response stillhart. You mentioned you originally wanted a DAC with an optical port. Is going through the headphone port on your sound card, or optical to a DAC to your headphones going to give you a better surround sound experience?

I go from the optical out of my Sound Blaster Omni to the DAC/Amp combo.  This is a significantly improved sound (for music) over just the Sound Blaster and still allows for virtual surround.  For gaming, you will never notice the difference.

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #25,337 of 48,562
Man I'm trying so hard to fight the urge to pick up these SoundMAGIC HP200s for 160. I haven't even taken my Q701s out the box and I'm already looking at new headphones I want to try. Dang you head-fi. Lol
biggrin.gif

Is there any reason to choose the HP200s over my Q701s?

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #25,338 of 48,562
Not headphone related, but for the past few days I have been absolutely obsessed with Dragon's Crown on the PS3/Vita. Ps Plus has it for free, and had I known I'd be this hooked, I would've bought it ages ago. So good.

Aug 12, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #25,339 of 48,562
Not headphone related, but for the past few days I have been absolutely obsessed with Dragon's Crown on the PS3/Vita. Ps Plus has it for free, and had I known I'd be this hooked, I would've bought it ages ago. So good.

Also got it thanks to PS+, and I'm wondering if you'd be up for some co-op in the near future, since the game supports it and all!

Admitted, I haven't touched it much and would have a beginner character more or less, but that's mainly because I tend to abstain from playing games with co-op if I don't have friends around to join in. Just doesn't feel right to me, you know?

Aug 12, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #25,340 of 48,562
I really enjoy by O2 DAC/AMP but would really love to have an optical in port. I was debating whether to sell it and get the Audio-GD NFB 11, as I love analytical sounding, or getting a something to convert the S/PDIF into an analog format. Could you technically plug your Audio-GD into the xbox one optical and not need additional equipment?

Aug 12, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #25,341 of 48,562
Are there any opinions about Throat/Neck Microphones? Since they work via skin contact, the Neck/Throat microphone won't need noise canceling technology and no modding of expensive Headphones required.

Thanks in advance - Nito

Aug 12, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #25,342 of 48,562
  Man I'm trying so hard to fight the urge to pick up these SoundMAGIC HP200s for 160. I haven't even taken my Q701s out the box and I'm already looking at new headphones I want to try. Dang you head-fi. Lol
biggrin.gif

Is there any reason to choose the HP200s over my Q701s?

The sound signature is slightly different, the HP200 is slightly easier to drive, the Q701 probably has a higher SQ ceiling.  The differences are pretty minimal though and the HP200 is more of a sidegrade than an upgrade.

I really enjoy by O2 DAC/AMP but would really love to have an optical in port. I was debating whether to sell it and get the Audio-GD NFB 11, as I love analytical sounding, or getting a something to convert the S/PDIF into an analog format. Could you technically plug your Audio-GD into the xbox one optical and not need additional equipment?

You can use the Audio-GD with the Xbox One via optical, but you will only get stereo.  I haven't heard the O2/ODAC so I have no idea how the sound will compare, but I love having my optical input so I can have virtual surround on my gaming PC with the great DAC from the Audio-GD.

Are there any opinions about Throat/Neck Microphones? Since they work via skin contact, the Neck/Throat microphone won't need noise canceling technology and no modding of expensive Headphones required.

Thanks in advance - Nito

I haven't looked into these in a few (ten?) years.  I wanted one for comms on my motorcycle (no wind/engine/exhaust noise to deal with), but they were all too finnicky with placement and didn't work half the time.  Not to mention it was hard to get them to sound halfway decent.

I'm sure tech has progressed since then, but yeah.  Not sure why it'd be an improvement over a simple clip-on mic for gaming.  I've never felt the need for noise cancelling when using headphones...

Aug 12, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #25,343 of 48,562
V-Moda boom pro doesn't require any modding either and it's already been battletested

Aug 12, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #25,344 of 48,562

Also got it thanks to PS+, and I'm wondering if you'd be up for some co-op in the near future, since the game supports it and all!

Admitted, I haven't touched it much and would have a beginner character more or less, but that's mainly because I tend to abstain from playing games with co-op if I don't have friends around to join in. Just doesn't feel right to me, you know?

Hit me up if you need someone else joining in on the fun. 

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #25,345 of 48,562
On a random note, anyone else watch any of the gamescomm stuff? I completely forgot about quantum break and was pumped to see gameplay footage. I am a huge fan of remedy and the Max Payne franchise so this game gives me all the feelz.

As a huge halo fanboy I was really pumped to see the remastered sanctuary for MCC. Also, the announcement of the halo 5 beta with 7 maps, and 4v4 arena style gameplay actually makes me have faith that 343i might do something worthwhile for once.

I was, however, a little disappointed that destiny didn't show more footage. Hopefully we will get to see more from the floor over the next couple of days.

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #25,346 of 48,562
On a random note, anyone else watch any of the gamescomm stuff? I completely forgot about quantum break and was pumped to see gameplay footage. I am a huge fan of remedy and the Max Payne franchise so this game gives me all the feelz.

As a huge halo fanboy I was really pumped to see the remastered sanctuary for MCC. Also, the announcement of the halo 5 beta with 7 maps, and 4v4 arena style gameplay actually makes me have faith that 343i might do something worthwhile for once.

I was, however, a little disappointed that destiny didn't show more footage. Hopefully we will get to see more from the floor over the next couple of days.

I don't think Destiny really has anything left to prove at this point.  Now it's just a matter of keeping it fresh in people's minds for 4 more weeks.  Don't forget, PAX is coming up too, so more time for hype, a scant week and a half before release...

QB looked awesome.  Tomb Raider as an Xbone exclusive will piss off PC gamers, which isn't maybe the wisest move.  Sony announced some really amazing-looking indy games (Rime, Wild, Hellblade, Tearaway for PS4, Tomorrow Children)... this is actually huge for me since PS4 has been really short on good exclusives.  Even Drive Club looked fun, though I doubt I'll get it over Forza Horizons 2.  

All in all, a great time to be a gamer on any console.

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #25,347 of 48,562
Just read about Share Play on the PlayStation blog. Sounds pretty darned awesome if you ask me.

"The best way to think about Share Play is like a 'virtual couch'. PlayStation 4 will create an online local co-op experience by allowing you to invite a friend to join your game—even when they don’t own a copy of it. With this first-of-its-kind feature, you’ll be able to play games with a friend just as if you were together in the same room. Let’s say that with games… you’ll be able to invite your friend online to play against the Miami Heat for the championship as the San Antonio Spurs in NBA2K, tackle the challenging Towerfall Ascension Quest Mode together, or aide, heal, and protect you as Igniculus in Child of Light’s local co-op mode."

So if you buy a game specifically for co-op then your partner won't need to own it, that's awesome. I'd use it to get a friend into BF4 with me.

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #25,349 of 48,562
  Just read about Share Play on the PlayStation blog. Sounds pretty darned awesome if you ask me.

"The best way to think about Share Play is like a 'virtual couch'. PlayStation 4 will create an online local co-op experience by allowing you to invite a friend to join your game—even when they don’t own a copy of it. With this first-of-its-kind feature, you’ll be able to play games with a friend just as if you were together in the same room. Let’s say that with games… you’ll be able to invite your friend online to play against the Miami Heat for the championship as the San Antonio Spurs in NBA2K, tackle the challenging Towerfall Ascension Quest Mode together, or aide, heal, and protect you as Igniculus in Child of Light’s local co-op mode."

So if you buy a game specifically for co-op then your partner won't need to own it, that's awesome. I'd use it to get a friend into BF4 with me.

Handy if you are stuck on a hard part of the game, you can invite a mate on to do them bits for you!

Aug 12, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #25,350 of 48,562

That sounds SOOOOOO AWESOME!!! I've been completely stuck on the new X-Box One bundles/editions they announced. I want to wait for the 1tb Black console, as it matches the rest of my equipment, but I think I'll just get the 500gb version and add an external drive to compensate for space. Decisions, decisions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back