Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 10, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #25,291 of 48,562
  I mainly use my PS4 for gaming and want a pair of surround sound headphones. But my dilemma is wither i should go with a pair of standalone headphones and then a clip on mic, or a pair of all in one gaming headphones? What do you guys think will be a better option

99% of all times this is the better price/performance value.
You could get a decent headset as well but at that point you'd be paying significantly more for less.

Aug 10, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #25,292 of 48,562
  Im from Taiwan
I've read a lot of reviews and I thought that the CAL2 were better than the CAL

If you're bumping your budget to $150, there are a lot of options, especially if you have access to any used headphones.  

The SoundMAGIC HP150 just came out to replace the HP100, but they're basically the same thing.  Maybe try to find a cheap HP100?

Aug 10, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #25,293 of 48,562
MC LeBron, let's not turn this into "that type" of forum with a lot of bickering...

It's totally cool to say why we like a game like what you like about halo (or, more on topic, headphone or sound or surround for headphones), but let's just ignore perceived insults to something we like (since antagonism won't change our minds anyway). If you feel you're right, no need even to reply, some people just like their stuff, and yes sometimes they miss out on good things because they have a certain preconception. I regret starting this whole thing by saying what what parts I don't like about battlefield...

So can we just drop this before something happens to this thread?

Aug 10, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #25,295 of 48,562
hi all,

I'm going to buy a set of headphones exclusively for gaming on the xbox one, and I'm only interested in the ones that are best at locating people in CoD.  I have a pair of good headphones for music, etc so this set will only be for CoD really...also going to get a mixamp if that matters.

Leaning toward either the AD700x or something by Sennheiser (gamezeros or pc363?)

Main issue is of course locating footsteps, secondary issue is comfort after 2+ hours (my momentums squeeze my ears a bit), third issue is durability.

Thoughts?

Aug 10, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #25,296 of 48,562
  Just as a heads up, I just posted my Astro Mixamp Pro and AD700s in the for sale forums (ebay # 151379469213).  

Dear lord, don't sell them! Or split them into two auctions and allow shipping to Europe if You have to sell them.

Also, You know guys what would be cool? If Turtle Beach TAC had mini toslink integrated into the headphone output so we could bypass the internal dac/amp circuitry and use our own gear. Like pc players do with asus soundcards

Aug 10, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #25,297 of 48,562
OK, after not being too happy with the pro 900s I'm probably going to sell them. Vocals don't sound right and are a little too sharp for my liking.

What would you guys say has a similar sound sound stage to the m50s but a little better bass and sound stage? My guess is the dt770 which I should've bought. The thing I like a lot about the m50s is vocals are in your face for hip hop but it's not too bright.

Aug 10, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #25,298 of 48,562
Okay i decided which standalone headphones I am going to get for using with my PS4. Its between the Sennheiser HD598s or the AKG Q701s I would like some different opinions on these two and which one you guys recommend for mainly using it as audio for my PS4. I will end up getting something like the MixAmp which i have read works phenomenally with both of these but that is not a first priority. 

Aug 11, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #25,300 of 48,562
MC LeBron,
I still think you would've preferred the DT770. Try to find one without too much bass?

Inanimate,
I personally would recommend the AKG Q701 or K612 at that price level, the soundstage of those headphones really help show-off the surround effect from sound processors such as the Mixamp. However, the amp built-into the Mixamp is pretty basic and about as powerful as a phone or MP3 player, so it'll be okay for starters but at some point I'd recommend getting an entry-level amp to plug in inbetween the headphones and Mixamp... Pretty much all higher-fidelity headphones benefit from higher quality amping.

PCunicorn,
If I could only choose between those, I'd get the HE-400, but I'd also get the velour Earpads and an amp to bring out more of the HE-400's potential, particularly an amp that actually adds some mids emphasis and maybe reduces the highs a bit. I haven't heard the DT990, but from Mad's review on the first post of this thread I gather that the DT990 and HE400 emphasize similar parts of the frequency spectrum (v-shaped), but the DT990 has sharper and more fatiguing treble for extended listening issues, and the HE-400 has really really nice bass extension and extra presence (and the velour pads help to mitigate some of the HE-400's own treble peakiness). I personally have a taste for more mids emphasis than headphones with v-shaped frequency curves, just sayin... YMMV.
I know you said ONLY choose between these two, but would you count the revised HE-400i (i for improved) as a possibility? Similar headphone but refined throughout, I think it's meant to replace the HE-400.

Aug 11, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #25,301 of 48,562
Thanks. I probably won't be getting a Amp for a while, so that won't be possible for now. What's up with the "speaker strapped to your head" thing? That doesn't sound like it would be good for me to learn about headphones with (this is going to be my first set of "real" headphones)

Actually the reason why its only this is because those are the pairs a guy is willing to trade for my phone.

Aug 11, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #25,302 of 48,562
Lol well I'd recommend against literally strapping computer or tv speakers to your head! Sometimes people say "it sounds like speakers!" because the sound is of better quality and richer than they expect, or the headphone is good enough (soundstage and transparency) that the sound seems to emanate (there's a word!) from somewhere in your room you're in (or from beyond the walls of your room). All good things. Sometimes people also specifically say the HE-400 are like speakers strapped to your head because they have basically the least amount of isolation of any headphone I have ever seen... Other people will be able to clearly hear what you're listening to. Not as loud as a TV speaker or something, but not muffled at all. Not for use in environments where you need privacy, but what you gain is that sense if sounds coming from around you.

I definitely understand not having money to buy a whole audio system all at once, I just would like to encourage you that getting an amp eventually will benefit you. Melodies or pitch of songs won't change or something like that, but adding a good amp might literally make the difference between an enjoyable experience or a painful one. Also, keep in mind that after being a Head-Fi member for a while, you can trade your headphones in the For Sale forum. These two headphones are pretty advanced and distinctly tailored to a specific taste in sound, maybe not what I'd suggest for a "first" headphone but they're good quality and you'll learn a lot.

Also, you'll have fun with the very open-backed HE-400 hearing how cupping your hands within half a foot from the earcups will change the sound, lol!

Aug 11, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #25,304 of 48,562
New here, trying to find a good headset.

After 2.5 years my Corsair 1500s finally decided to start giving me problems, the left ear-cup only produces audio if I hold the cord at a sharp angle around the in-line control.

Looking for some recommendations on a good headset. Not necessarily gaming in design (don't need something flashy), but I need a built-in microphone and I want good sound quality (as good as I can afford) which favors accurate positional audio over high quality bass.

Stereo with virtual 5.1 or 7.1 surround or actual surround 5.1 or 7.1 drivers doesn't matter, though I've read most actual surround sound drivers sacrifice sound quality to achieve surround. I am looking at closed-ear specifically, I don't want the sound leaking out (I know, open-ear offers better quality and positional audio).

I would also like to move away from USB and use my on-board audio instead (I know, dedicated sound cards are much better, but I don't have the budget for both a headset and sound card UNLESS I can get like a $50 headset and $30 sound card that gives better quality than a $80 headset, but I've heard on-board audio is better than USB).

Comfort is also a major thing, as it will be used for gaming it could be worn for hours at a time. Leather-style ear-cups offer better sound isolation but aren't as breathable (therefore not as desirable for long sessions) so I think I would prefer to stay with cloth ear-cups. Circumaural is preferable (if not required), I wear glasses and don't like headphones that rest on my ears, would rather have them around my ears.

My budget is sadly only about $80 tops (maybe up to $100 if there's a very good reason for it, like $20 more than another headset but considerably better quality or something).

I've been looking through headsets for the past day or so and here's what I've come up with:

HyperX Cloud Gaming Headset ($80) - These seem very solid based on reviews, but they are only stereo and don't seem to have the best positional audio. Plus they are very new and don't have much in terms of reviews or any long-term owners to speak of their quality over time.

SteelSeries Siberia V2 ($63) - Time-tested, good reviews overall but only stereo (non-USB version, at least, seems USB has virtual surround). Also earcups are leather (or close to it....) so sweating may become an issue. Some people also have problems with the mics after a few months (stop working and what not). Some reviews praise its positional audio, others slam it, but reviews are mixed between USB and non-USB versions.

Turtle Beach Ear Force X12 ($41) - Another time-tested headset. Tons of reviews with a large majority of them high ratings. Cloth earcups but again only stereo with no comments on positional audio.

Razer Tiamat 2.2 ($90) - Excellent positional audio reviews but leather earcups and a bit above my price range. Being a Razor product, I'm also worried about durability, I've owned various Razer products before and they have almost always died within a year.

Again my total budget is only about $80, I'm currently leaning towards the Siberia V2 but haven't decided between the USB or 3.5mm version yet (USB would give me virtual surround). Would it be more beneficial to buy a cheaper headset (with surround) and buy a cheap sound card? My main priorities are positional audio (surround sound of some form), a mic (I only use it for voice chat, so I don't need a professional quality mic) and good sound quality (I'm not an audiophile, but obviously the best quality I can get for my budget and other requirements).

Anyone have any recommendations based on what I am looking for? Or any comments to add about the headsets I'm currently looking at?

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #25,305 of 48,562
Do you mind telling me which type if sounds they are each tailored for?

They both have a V-shaped sound signature, so both of them are tailored to listeners who prefer to pay more attention to bass, drums, and cymbals and less attention to vocals and guitar. The HE400 is just a bit better at it.

New here, trying to find a good headset.

My budget is sadly only about $80 tops (maybe up to $100 if there's a very good reason for it, like $20 more than another headset but considerably better quality or something).

We pretty commonly see people ask for the sun and stars for really cheap, but there's few answers especially if you absolutely need an attached mic instead of just buying a $3 clip-on lapel mic like we get.

The Skullcandy SLYR is also worth looking into at your budget, pretty sturdily built but it also has Skullcandy's warranty service. This stereo headphone doesn't do positional audio on it's own.

To borrow an idea from your headphone list, you could get the Turtle Beach X12, and also buy the inexpensive Asus Xonar U3 as a surround processor. The U3 is about $30, and you can use it with any headphone, and if you want you can connect it to other amps or DACs later (so if your interest and budget grows, the U3 won't become obsolete). You could also use the U3 with the SLYR.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back