Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 9, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #25,261 of 48,562
Sounds like a bit of an avoid at all cost headphone. The X1 does seem like a good option from what I read about it. In terms of closed headphones, the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm has a whole lot of sub-bass but suffers a bit in the midrange and treble. The Beyerdynamic DT 150 is one of the best mid-tier($200-500) headphones I've ever heard regardless of closed or open, it should have enough bass.

The Mr Speakers Mad Dogs should be great too but it'd require some external amping.
The Pro900 was my first audiophile headphone and a formidable disappointment but I learnt my lesson and sorted my taste.
I far prefer open to closed since I've heard my first open can... That explains my limited knowledge in closed backs :D

Aug 9, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #25,262 of 48,562
The Mr Speakers Mad Dogs should be great too but it'd require some external amping.
The Pro900 was my first audiophile headphone and a formidable disappointment but I learnt my lesson and sorted my taste.
I far prefer open to closed since I've heard my first open can... That explains my limited knowledge in closed backs
biggrin.gif

I haven't heard those yet, I need to get myself an ortho sometime. That does happen, I've made more than a few mistake purchases myself. I generally far prefer open to closed well, mainly because so few closed-backs are done right that and comfort can be iffy, but a well implented closed headphone is something special. I prefer the DT 150 to the K612 and maybe the K712, that tells you something about it. Maybe better amplification will change that but maybe not. It took me about 5-10 or so headphones to finally sort out my tastes. I either like neutral, midrange oriented, dark, and/or warmish headphones. Musicality and some lushness is a must for long term listening. A gentle v-shape curve is fine as well.

Aug 9, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #25,264 of 48,562
I haven't heard those yet, I need to get myself an ortho sometime. That does happen, I've made more than a few mistake purchases myself. I generally far prefer open to closed well, mainly because so few closed-backs are done right that and comfort can be iffy, but a well implented closed headphone is something special. I prefer the DT 150 to the K612 and maybe the K712, that tells you something about it. Maybe better amplification will change that but maybe not. It took me about 5-ir0 or so headphones to finally sort out my tastes. I either like neutral, midrange oriented, dark, and/or warmish headphones. Musicality and some lushness is a must for long term listening. A gentle v-shape curve is fine as well.

I love neutral open headphones. A more airy and refined K612 would be it. Or a HE-560 with a slight bass boost and larger soundstage...
But generally speaking, all considered, the 560 is as close as it gets so far. Shame the soundstage isn't just a hair less intimate ;/
I am definitely sticking with Hifiman though :wink:

Aug 9, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #25,265 of 48,562
Too bad the DT150's are so ugly :/
I've only read good things about their sound.

They are on the ugly side, it's an at-home headphone, so I don't mind how it looks as long as it sounds good and is comfy enough, at least no one would steal them, lol. I do find them lightweight and comfortable(after the pads break in a bit) though. And the build quality is awesome, toughest and most robust plastic I've ever seen on a headphone, with a metal headband, and easily replaceable parts. The praise about their sound is justified after owning and listening to them for a few days.
I love neutral open headphones. A more airy and refined K612 would be it. Or a HE-560 with a slight bass boost and larger soundstage...
But generally speaking, all considered, the 560 is as close as it gets so far. Shame the soundstage isn't just a hair less intimate ;/
I am definitely sticking with Hifiman though
wink.gif

A more refined K612 would be awesome, that's the main reason I don't like it as much as the K712 despite it's sound signature being more to my tastes, the K712 is noticeably more refined to me. Well that tends to happen, it's so hard to find that perfect headphone. I'm not sure if I'm going the Hifiman route or not, I'm more of an Audeze guy going by my auditioning. I do want to hear the HE-560 and the HE-400i quite badly though. First before anymore headphone purchases I need to get myself the Project Ember amp I've been eying.

Aug 9, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #25,266 of 48,562
I spent a few hours yesterday playing BF4 with the Monoprice 8323 headphone. It has a detachable cable and works perfectly with the BoomPro cable. The pads were replaced with Beyerdynamic DT250 velour pads. It wasn't the best gaming audio experience I've had but I have to say that I'm pretty impressed considering the price. And I didn't have any DSP active, I was simply running the cable directly from the PS4 controller. I'm going to work on integrating my Recon3D USB tonight and hopefully try out some THX TS when I play tonight. Then we'll really see what these $24 headphones can do.

Aug 9, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #25,267 of 48,562
What elite games do you play?

I wouldn't call it "elite" compared to PC titles I've never played before, but I play halo 3 MLG. Theres hasn't been a more competitive game on console since its release in 07. I would still play cod 2 and 4 but cod2 is dead and cod4 is filled with modders and cheaters for the past 3 or 4 years. Halo 3 still has online tourneys and its still somewhat alive. Its will be back when MCC drops along with halo 1 and 2.

Aug 9, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #25,268 of 48,562
Pro900 have great bass but they kinda suck in every other aspect... Recessed mids, harsh highs,...
Yeah, I learnt that the hard way myself...
If you're not opposed to open headphones, I'd recommend the Philips X1/X2. These have amazing sub bass and sound good in other categories as well.
My experience in closed headphones is limited though...

The philips x1 was on my short list. If I was getting an open can, that would of been the one. I really wanted closed though. Kinda regretting the 900s. Don't think they're worth $400 never mind $550.

One thing that annoyed me about the philips is the non removable pads.

Aug 9, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #25,270 of 48,562
Aug 9, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #25,271 of 48,562
Is the X1 the best successor to the legendary AD700?

the more I look into this, the more I'm confused.
I had just wanted to get X1 + Mixamp Pro for console gaming (and maybe PC) but guess I need to have a better solution that allows me "best of both worlds"

so what DAC/amp should I pair up with my X1 (I'm gonna use it with the BoomPro too) to get the best on both PS4 and PC?

Aug 9, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #25,272 of 48,562

the more I look into this, the more I'm confused.
I had just wanted to get X1 + Mixamp Pro for console gaming (and maybe PC) but guess I need to have a better solution that allows me "best of both worlds"

so what DAC/amp should I pair up with my X1 (I'm gonna use it with the BoomPro too) to get the best on both PS4 and PC?

The successor to the AD700 is the AD700X. The X1 is a different sound entirely. The X1 is a headphone that will be more for the best of both worlds. The AD700X would be best for competitive gaming and sound whoring.

Aug 9, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #25,273 of 48,562

Uh, no? They're pretty much opposite headphones. The AD700 was high-quality sound for an entry-level cost, lightweight with polarizing looks, amazing soundstage but "heard not felt" bass, and one of the nicest cables I've seen. The X1 is Mid-Fi priced, mid-weight but pretty much everyone agrees that it's quite handsome, has strong rumbly bass which covers some detail and soundstage "air" (all things considered it has better soundstage than it has a right to, but still pales against the godlike massive and effortless AD700 soundstage), and has a detachable cable that almost every head-fi'er replaced with something that had less resistance.

Both are good but I imagine their target audiences are of different tastes. The AD700x is the AD700 successor, though if you like that character of sound, the K702/Q701 is basically that with a better balance of bass. The X1 is kind of like a replacement for the Beyerdynamic DT990.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back