Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 4, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #25,067 of 48,562
Played some Homefront today with my Omni and HP100.  Homefront has some janky issues regarding sound, but the surround sound is pretty noticeable in the first stage, especially when a tank comes by destroying all your cover.  

I also played some Blops 2 today, and the extra polish is immediately noticeable.  The sound quality is fantastic, but sometimes the vocals sound a bit distant with the Omni.  I didn't have this problem with Homefront so I'm not sure what is causing that.  Also, I don't know if this is normal, but whenever I adjust volume using the Omni, I get kicked out of my full screen game... not a big deal because I don't have to adjust volume too often, but still rather annoying.

I haven't experienced any game exiting when adjusting the volume knob on the OMNI. Have not played those games you mentioned, though, perhaps it is a bug specific to one of them.

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #25,068 of 48,562
I keep getting owned on survivor difficulty. Also had to restart the stream because the game froze :/

I got totally stuck last night and had to look up a Youtube walkthrough to find the tiny little hidden hole in the wall in the completely pitch black room.  I walked by it like 10 times and couldn't find it.  I even HEARD the wind blowing from that direction and couldn't find it.  Blergh. (Props to them for having the wind sound as the hint to where to go tho!)

BTW, this game has some fantastic surround cues and audio overall.  There's one point towards the beginning where you're walking out in the rain and then you walk through a cargo container.  The sound of the rain on the ground turns into the sound of rain on the tin roof.  It's really really well done.

This is probably the most immersive gaming experience I've had since I joined head-fi.  The surround cues in Titanfall and CoD help those games a lot, but playing such an atmospheric game as TLOU and having such great audio is really amazing.  

For all our talk of the "perfect" headphones for gaming, it's all about how the games make use of them.  Folks who agonize over the K612 vs the HD598 vs the X1, etc... just pick one and get back to gaming IMO.  

Aug 4, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #25,069 of 48,562
  I got totally stuck last night and had to look up a Youtube walkthrough to find the tiny little hidden hole in the wall in the completely pitch black room.  I walked by it like 10 times and couldn't find it.  I even HEARD the wind blowing from that direction and couldn't find it.  Blergh. (Props to them for having the wind sound as the hint to where to go tho!)

BTW, this game has some fantastic surround cues and audio overall.  There's one point towards the beginning where you're walking out in the rain and then you walk through a cargo container.  The sound of the rain on the ground turns into the sound of rain on the tin roof.  It's really really well done.

This is probably the most immersive gaming experience I've had since I joined head-fi.  The surround cues in Titanfall and CoD help those games a lot, but playing such an atmospheric game as TLOU and having such great audio is really amazing.  

For all our talk of the "perfect" headphones for gaming, it's all about how the games make use of them.  Folks who agonize over the K612 vs the HD598 vs the X1, etc... just pick one and get back to gaming IMO.  

Absolutely my opinion. TLoU has one of the best sound design AND one of the most accurate and immersive audio as well.
Playing Second Son now and the audio is nowhere near as accurate. SQ is good and accuracy is okay but TLoU beats it by a mile + it has a tweakable azimuth setting [which I haven't messed around with... any suggestions?]

Hands down one of my best experiences with games in all aspects then.

Aug 4, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #25,070 of 48,562
Absolutely my opinion. TLoU has one of the best sound design AND one of the most accurate and immersive audio as well.
Playing Second Son now and the audio is nowhere near as accurate. SQ is good and accuracy is okay but TLoU beats it by a mile + it has a tweakable azimuth setting [which I haven't messed around with... any suggestions?]

Hands down one of my best experiences with games in all aspects then.

I would suggest setting audio options to headphones, 5.1, wide or maximum (whichever you prefer), and lastly 70/140 is my preferred setting for positioning

Aug 4, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #25,071 of 48,562
I would suggest setting audio options to headphones, 5.1, wide or maximum (whichever you prefer), and lastly 70/140 is my preferred setting for positioning

Yeah, I do maximum range but I have it set up to studio reference, not headphones [according to ND studio reference is for studio monitoring headphones so...]
I'll try your azimuth settings. seem well spread out.
Cheers

Aug 4, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #25,072 of 48,562
  Yeah, I do maximum range but I have it set up to studio reference, not headphones [according to ND studio reference is for studio monitoring headphones so...]
I'll try your azimuth settings. seem well spread out.
Cheers

I think I just set mine to 5.1 and forgot about it.  Seems to be working fine for me!

Aug 4, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #25,073 of 48,562
  I think I just set mine to 5.1 and forgot about it.  Seems to be working fine for me!

What are your positional settings?

Aug 4, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #25,075 of 48,562

What are your positional settings?

I dunno, whatever the default was.  I didn't bother changing it since I don't have actual speakers setup.

Hows the ps4,did it come in good condition?

The box was in crap condition but everything else is working fine.  The CD drive makes noise sometimes, not sure if I want to take issue with that or not.  But since I plan on going all digital, I don't think I'll bother doing anything about it.  Also, it was clearly used by a smoker.

But for $200, can't complain and won't!

Aug 4, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #25,076 of 48,562
I dunno, whatever the default was.  I didn't bother changing it since I don't have actual speakers setup.

The box was in crap condition but everything else is working fine.  The CD drive makes noise sometimes, not sure if I want to take issue with that or not.  But since I plan on going all digital, I don't think I'll bother doing anything about it.  Also, it was clearly used by a smoker.

Play around with them for a bit. I think the default (Home Theatre) is the one actually for speakers. Under device options there are quite a few to choose from. I had it on headphones, but am now going to try Studio Reference as conq suggested. Also, make sure you play with the azimuths to you're liking :)

Aug 4, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #25,077 of 48,562

Mine was brand new and the cd drive makes a noise sometimes..nothing to worry about mate!

Aug 4, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #25,078 of 48,562
Hi All,

I have been reading the conversation about mixamps a few pages back and i was wondering if anyone could help me out with a similar situation but I'm in the UK, which makes getting cheap Astro's etc a little difficult.

My set up is Ad700's and a cheap attachable mic, for PS4.

the only thing i could find is this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Astro-gaming-5-8-TX-mixamp-/321479151633?pt=UK_Video_Games_Headsets&hash=item4ad9a69011

Is that better than something like this?:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DSS2-Dolby-Processor-CAN-EU/dp/B0077MEDTI/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1407188336&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=mixamp

Are there any other options for someone in the UK? Astro's arn't even really sold on amazon and their site sells them for over £120.

Looking for an ideal way to have my mic and headphones work together while getting good quality audio.

Thanks all!

Aug 4, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #25,079 of 48,562
  Hi All,

I have been reading the conversation about mixamps a few pages back and i was wondering if anyone could help me out with a similar situation but I'm in the UK, which makes getting cheap Astro's etc a little difficult.

My set up is Ad700's and a cheap attachable mic, for PS4.

the only thing i could find is this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Astro-gaming-5-8-TX-mixamp-/321479151633?pt=UK_Video_Games_Headsets&hash=item4ad9a69011

Is that better than something like this?:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DSS2-Dolby-Processor-CAN-EU/dp/B0077MEDTI/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1407188336&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=mixamp

Are there any other options for someone in the UK? Astro's arn't even really sold on amazon and their site sells them for over £120.

Looking for an ideal way to have my mic and headphones work together while getting good quality audio.

Thanks all!

That Astro is the transmitter only so it won't work for you.  The DSS2 will work fine.  You might also see if you can find a Sound Blaster Recon3D USB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back