Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 25, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #24,871 of 48,562

I'm not sure about the Asus sound card.  It would need to have an optical output and the ability to process the virtual surround first then output it via optical.  

I know you can do it with the Sound Blaster Omni (or Z) because that's what I do.  You use the optical out into the Optical Modi (not the USB one).  But I tried that and I couldn't hear any difference in the DAC so I returned the Modi.  Once I upgraded to the Audio-GD, though, there was a noticeable improvement in the DAC.

Yeah the one that i plan on buying does have an optical out but i had forgotten the name (just found it). I just figured it would sound better with a modi since the sound card (Asus Xonar DGX) is about $37 on amazon. Btw creative sound cards don't have dolby headphone do they? (That's why i chose the asus one)

Jul 25, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #24,872 of 48,562

Sony MDRHW700DS?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J0XR10A/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00J0XR10A&linkCode=as2&tag=mysimon-shop-deals&linkId=EJEKNKCAY5M2UTNC

Jul 25, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #24,873 of 48,562
  Im about pull the trigger on these

Sennheiser - MOMENTUM Over-the-Ear
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sennheiser-momentum-over-the-ear-headphones-chocolate/6815518.p?id=1218807878691&skuId=6815518

Would those be good paired up with the vmoda boom mic?

Setup is for my xb1 and ps4 and pc with the xp seven acu.

Sennheisers use a proprietary connector on their removable cables and I don't believe they work with the Boompro.

Yeah the one that i plan on buying does have an optical out but i had forgotten the name (just found it). I just figured it would sound better with a modi since the sound card (Asus Xonar DGX) is about $37 on amazon. Btw creative sound cards don't have dolby headphone do they? (That's why i chose the asus one)

Sound Blaster uses a different surround processing tech called SBX (which is basically a ripoff of the THX they used to license).  I personally prefer the SBX surround processing to Dolby Headphone; it sounds better to my ears.  You should check out the videos at the beginning of the thread and compare the DH to the THX and see what you think for yourself.

If you can't tell the difference, it's a no-brainer to get the SB Omni for $70 rather than the Asus for $37 and the Modi for $100.

Jul 25, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #24,874 of 48,562

Sennheisers use a proprietary connector on their removable cables and I don't believe they work with the Boompro.

Sound Blaster uses a different surround processing tech called SBX (which is basically a ripoff of the THX they used to license).  I personally prefer the SBX surround processing to Dolby Headphone; it sounds better to my ears.  You should check out the videos at the beginning of the thread and compare the DH to the THX and see what you think for yourself.

If you can't tell the difference, it's a no-brainer to get the SB Omni for $70 rather than the Asus for $37 and the Modi for $100.

I guess so but i honestly cannot tell the difference atm since my current headphones make them sound very similar, though i feel like dolby headphone gives a slight echo and compared to cmss it sometimes gets annoying. Well i guess i am probably not getting my headphones soon due to my budget spent on my pc so during christmas i can hopefully test it out :) People do say sbx is the best but is the omni good for music???

Jul 25, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #24,876 of 48,562

It says it comes with 6.3mm adapter plug, standard connection cable, cable with smart remote

anyone know for sure?

thinking of picking them up during lunch

I have the Momentum On-Ear.  It's a non-standard connector on the headphone side.

Jul 25, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #24,878 of 48,562
  Oh alright i see now thanks dude! I'll stick with that setup for my ps4, but i am also getting a pc soon so would the schiit stack combo retain surround sound when connected with a cheap asus soundcard with dolby headphone???

Why don't you just get a asus stx 2 for your new pc? just use that you won't need anything else just headphones!

Jul 25, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #24,879 of 48,562

Why don't you just get a asus stx 2 for your new pc? just use that you won't need anything else just headphones!

Idk for sure on sound cards alone, despite all the praise stx gets but i need to try my headphones first, do a test on sbx and dolby headphone and then choose what to get :) I just figured pairing a modestly-priced sound card with an amp + dac would work but all this is just precautions so by christmas, i will get either creative or asus since my headphones are not that great

Jul 25, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #24,881 of 48,562

Btw dude do you have an stx??? What headphones do you use currently? As mentioned before i plan on getting the k712 pro's as it's got a tad more bass than the q701 and overall is great. I planned on getting the philips fidelio x1 but i guess i might go for the k712 pro's and order them from amazon US to UK as it is about $160 cheaper and it is only $40 more than the x1's in the UK so why not since amping them isnt an issue because i'm obviously not going to listen with them on the go anyway. I would be happy with either of them in the end since i stupidly decided to buy beat's by dr dre studio's about 1.5 years ago for 300 euros and i currently have skullcandy hesh 2's since they were cheap when i bought them and i couldn't find any high-end headphones :frowning2:

Jul 25, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #24,882 of 48,562

Thanks as always!  Would a cable like this work?
http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-3-5mm-Male-2-Male-Adapter/dp/B004YEBK66

As for headphone-amp pairing, I have been perusing sites such as head-fi, Headfonia and Inner Fidelity (this hobby has taken over my life the last couple weeks), and it sounds like many more "analytical" headphones like HD650 or HE500 are paired with tube amps for their warmth... I might be way off base but this is what I've seen so far.  Since I've mostly narrowed down my open headphone choices between X1, HP200, K712 and HE-400, I think a good solid state amp would be enough.  I appreciate your advice on disregarding impedance matching at this level though... in that case I might look at the O2 or Magni instead and save some money :)

I initially considered the Fiio E12 but I realized I don't really have any use for portability since I don't plan to listen to open headphones in public (I can use my s4i earbuds or HP100 instead which don't really need an amp).

I found tubes and what the tube sound is misrepresented a lot of times, they can be warm sounding(and often are), but so can SS amps. Actually not everyone pairs with tubes for warmth many pair for the tube sound which actually isn't warmth, just as solid states doesn't mean it's going to be neutral or cold and bright. My current tube setup is less warm than some SS amps I've heard, one of my tubes sounds slightly cold, lean, and bright sounding. I do have to say tubes generally do warmth better than SS amps which is why many tube amps tend to be tuned for warmth as it's quite a pleasing and musical sound. It's best to listen to a few different amps from solid state, hybrid, or tube given it's possible. Choosing an amp can be easy or hard depending on your sound preferences, how picky you are, how picky the headphones are, and how it pairs with a said headphones.

The HD 650 isn't what I consider analytical, maybe to a degree if it's hooked up to a brighter and leaner amp, it's more on the musical, warm, dark, and laid-back side. The HE-500 is on the slightly dark, slightly warm, and more-laid-back side but it's more analytical than the HD 650. I would get the O2 or the E12 over the Magni personally because I think they both sound better, I found the Magni a brighter and colder sounding amp and the headphones you mentioned tend to have a more prominent or neutralish treble.

Jul 25, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #24,883 of 48,562
  Btw dude do you have an stx??? What headphones do you use currently? As mentioned before i plan on getting the k712 pro's as it's got a tad more bass than the q701 and overall is great. I planned on getting the philips fidelio x1 but i guess i might go for the k712 pro's and order them from amazon US to UK as it is about $160 cheaper and it is only $40 more than the x1's in the UK so why not since amping them isnt an issue because i'm obviously not going to listen with them on the go anyway. I would be happy with either of them in the end since i stupidly decided to buy beat's by dr dre studio's about 1.5 years ago for 300 euros and i currently have skullcandy hesh 2's since they were cheap when i bought them and i couldn't find any high-end headphones :frowning2:

I don't really need a stx,i use a pioneer susano av receiver with s81 speakers 8.2 set up for my gaming pc,  I have ps1000's lcd3's and akg3003i and shure 1840!

Jul 25, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #24,884 of 48,562
I guess so but i honestly cannot tell the difference atm since my current headphones make them sound very similar, though i feel like dolby headphone gives a slight echo and compared to cmss it sometimes gets annoying. Well i guess i am probably not getting my headphones soon due to my budget spent on my pc so during christmas i can hopefully test it out :) People do say sbx is the best but is the omni good for music???

I think my OMNI sounds good for music using my Fidelio X1 headphones. Stomps all over using my iPhone 5s as a source. Very happy for the price.

Jul 25, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #24,885 of 48,562

Users who are viewing this thread

Back