Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 11, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #24,511 of 48,563
**I haven't heard the X1 to be honest... K712 has more of a clean midbass hump than the K612, but the K612 has deeper sub-bass extension. Honestly closer than their price difference belies, the main benefit of the K712 is the detachable cables, deeper Earpads of memory foam (nice but not crucial), more premium headband leather (no comfort difference IMO), and a little detail refinement. For first nice headphone I'd just get the K612, you can upgrade it with an amp and new pads later if you want. If you need closed headphones... Well, I don't end up needing them, so I defer to others' opinions. Any headphone will end up uncomfortable during the flight between USA & China, lol.

Thanks for your advice!  I did check out your video on YT and I'm amazed how little sound leakage open headphones actually give.  I'm eyeing the K612 now as well, though I think I'd need a better DAC/Amp than my U3 (so I will either get the Omni for all purpose PC usage, or the E17 so I can use that with my iPhone as well).  As for headphones, at this point I'm just looking for a good deal, so I'll probably snag any of the following if I can find a good deal : K612, HP100, HP200, or x1 :)

<snip>

Thanks again, Stillhart!  I feel like I cannot go wrong with any of these headphones.  I'm a bit upset that I didn't see this thread earlier this year when I could have potentially bought the x1 new for $150 on Amazon, haha.  Either way, I am just looking for a good deal on one of these, and if no deals surface, I will probably get the k612 and an E17/Omni since it seems to give me the most "bang for my buck."  :)

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #24,513 of 48,563
My akg q701 headphones came today they sound and feel great compared to my superlux 668b.
I tryed them with just the mixamp and had to turn mixamp to around 90% I without the mic on so they denffenetly need more juice! my superlux with mic was only at around 60-70%.

So what amp should I get seen quite a few around the £100 price fillo e9 schiit magni, schiit vali and the O2 are they the 4 main amps in that price range ? And what will go best with q701 I will be using the astro mixamp pro plus a blue snowball mic and only play on ps4.

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #24,514 of 48,563
My akg q701 headphones came today they sound and feel great compared to my superlux 668b.
I tryed them with just the mixamp and had to turn mixamp to around 90% I without the mic on so they denffenetly need more juice! my superlux with mic was only at around 60-70%.

So what amp should I get seen quite a few around the £100 price fillo e9 schiit magni, schiit vali and the O2 are they the 4 main amps in that price range ? And what will go best with q701 I will be using the astro mixamp pro plus a blue snowball mic and only play on ps4.

A lot of people like the Vali on the Q701 thread, but the Magni, or O2 would also work nicely. 

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #24,517 of 48,563

The Vali is the most recommended of those in the Q701 thread.  However, if you're going to be using it exclusively or gaming, you might not actually want that additional warmth from the tubes.  The O2 is also very highly regarded in that thread and might be a better choice for you.

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #24,519 of 48,563
This is the only O2 I can find in the uk and it's the portable one http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/products-page/headphone-amplifiers/ehp-o2-portable-headphone-amplifier/

Does any1 have a link to a website that sells them in the uk ?

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #24,520 of 48,563
This is the only O2 I can find in the uk and it's the portable one http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/products-page/headphone-amplifiers/ehp-o2-portable-headphone-amplifier/

It can be used as a portable or a desktop.  Something like the Fiio E12 can't be used while it's charging so it's a portable only.  The O2 can just be plugged in with a wall wart and used like a normal desktop amp OR it can run off a battery.

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #24,522 of 48,563
  Why DTS all of a sudden? Set Your console to dolby digital, asus cards decode it afaik, just find one with optical in. If You want to go hdmi route You can just use 7.1 lpcm and derive virtual surround from this (marantz receivers can do this, I don't know if there are any other devices on the market that can too)

Most sound cards can ENCODE to Dolby Digital but there are no new cards that can DECODE Dolby Digital input that I am aware of. The reason is copyright because they thought that the only reason you would want to decode DD is for piracy. There are some old Creative cards (PCI) that can decode DD but I'm not aware of any new cards. If I decode DD then I can run the PCM audio through whatever virtual surround sound I want.

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #24,523 of 48,563

Back order: shipped expected to resume 23/07/14 if you can't get one you could get a fiio e9 from amazon uk!

Jul 11, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #24,525 of 48,563

E9 has an output impedance more than 10x higher than the Magni or O2.

It's also warm, from what I hear, which is kinda the reason I didn't recommend the Vali for gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back