Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 9, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #24,481 of 48,562
Change, I may take up your offer for the 1540 loan soonish, if you'll allow me. I'll send you the 15G on the way back if you wanna try something new and cheapish.
biggrin.gif

Woot! Something exciting may be coming from MLE once again!

Jul 10, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #24,482 of 48,562
I would, but the only set of 1540 alcantara pads I have are on the HP200 (I sold the replacement pair a while back). The 1540s have alpha pads on 'em (which are a bih' to put back on after removal).

I know how important it is for you, Mad, to review headphones in stock form. Do you still have the shure velours you bought off me? If so, I can just borrow them and place them on the HP200 while you have the 1540 and its stock alcantaras. I really can't see myself dealing with just the stock pleathers on the HP200 during that time. Plus, I'm very curious as to his they will sound with plain velours.

Jul 10, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #24,483 of 48,562
I cut off the screen on the 1840 velours, so it probably won't be ideal whatsoever.

Jul 10, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #24,484 of 48,562
Damn damn damn lol. Oh well :p

Be ready towards the end of the month. That's when I'll have the extra funds for shipping and such. I'm on a tight budget, right now...

Jul 10, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #24,485 of 48,562
As am I. Having two friends from Denmark staying with me for 3 weeks... basically dried up all my funds. Financial bind is being modest.

Jul 10, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #24,487 of 48,562
Have any of you ever heard of Allen and Heath headphones? I had a buddy that works at Guitar Center suggest them to me when I told him I was looking to purchase the Q701s. He really seems to stand by them and he owns a pair of Xones (I think that's what they are called). I didn't see them in the guide, so just wondering if any of you have any experience with them.

Jul 10, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #24,489 of 48,562
  Anyone know of a way to input multi-channel audio from a console to your PC (Windows)?

Idea is to output surround sound from console into a PC and then use virtual surround sound software on PC. This way I can avoid a Mixamp and avoid Dolby Headphone.

Can this be done through a capture card and virtual audio cables?

Probably using a card that has optical input, then run optical out from console to optical in in audio card then set optical in as a main audio source on pc, then apply dolby headphone encoding and output through headphone jack. To be honest, just buy a mixamp or dss, less hassle.

Also, I know You guys advised me to go with K612 and not hd598 but I found used hd598 for an equivalent of 70 usd so I bought them immediately.

Jul 10, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #24,490 of 48,562
Hey Change, did you listen to the Fidelio L2? 

Jul 10, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #24,491 of 48,562
  Thank you once again for your help, Stillhart.
It sounds like you really enjoy the HP100's.  If I were to change my mind and go for a closed headphone, is the HP100 the best choice at the sub-$300 price range for immersive (not competitive) PC gaming?  I've heard the DT770's are pretty good too, though perhaps the 80ohm version would need a better amp than the U3.

I almost got the DT770 before I got the HP100.  I was told by a couple people that I wouldn't like the DT770, given my preference for the Q701's sound signature.  I'm sure they're great, they just sound different; once you have a better idea of the sound signature you like, it'll make decisions like this easier.  Unfortunately, that will only come with experience.  

snip

Also, I know You guys advised me to go with K612 and not hd598 but I found used hd598 for an equivalent of 70 usd so I bought them immediately.

Score!  I'm sure you'll be happy with them for the price.  And if not, should be easy enough to sell them for the same price you paid (or more!).

Jul 10, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #24,492 of 48,562
Hey peeps,

So I finally caved in and got the fidelio x1s after extensive reading. I have the mixamp pro 2013 to go with them for the ps4.
 I am thinking about buying the Sound Blaster Omni Surround 5.1 external usb soundcard for my pc. If I used the optical out on the soundcard could I plug that into the mixamp pro?
When im using the pc for gaming or High def movies I would prefer to use the SBX Prostudio than the Dolby Headphonewhich the astro mixamp uses. Although I would like to use the mixamp as a kind of bypass amp so I could control the volume without walking to the pc.
Does the mixamp have an option to let the SBX sound pass through it without changing the signal to dolby headphone?
And finally does anyone know of a better external soundcard which will allow me to game and watch movies in 5.1 on my home cinema setup, as well as in virtual surround on my fidelios?

Thanks for taking the time to read this andthanks Mad Lust for making such an epic thread...

Jul 10, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #24,493 of 48,562
  Hey peeps,

So I finally caved in and got the fidelio x1s after extensive reading. I have the mixamp pro 2013 to go with them for the ps4.
 I am thinking about buying the Sound Blaster Omni Surround 5.1 external usb soundcard for my pc. If I used the optical out on the soundcard could I plug that into the mixamp pro?
When im using the pc for gaming or High def movies I would prefer to use the SBX Prostudio than the Dolby Headphonewhich the astro mixamp uses. Although I would like to use the mixamp as a kind of bypass amp so I could control the volume without walking to the pc.
Does the mixamp have an option to let the SBX sound pass through it without changing the signal to dolby headphone?
And finally does anyone know of a better external soundcard which will allow me to game and watch movies in 5.1 on my home cinema setup, as well as in virtual surround on my fidelios?

Thanks for taking the time to read this andthanks Mad Lust for making such an epic thread...

The Omni is an overall better device than the Mixamp in pretty much every category except "compatibility with gaming consoles".  The amp is more powerful and quieter, the DAC is better, it's got more outputs, etc etc.  IMO, the SBX surround is better than DH as well, though many people disagree.  

My point is that there's not any reason to run your Omni through your Mixamp.  Keep in mind the Omni has its own external volume knob so you don't even need the Mixamp for that.

If you do decide to run it through the Mixamp, the Omni does have the option to pass a Dolby signal out so the Mixamp can do the processing.  I don't know why you'd want to do that, though, unless you really prefer DH.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the Omni if you couldn't tell.  :p

BTW, you might check the Nameless Guide to PC Gaming (should be linked at the start of the guide here) for more info on stuff like this.

Jul 10, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #24,494 of 48,562
  The Omni is an overall better device than the Mixamp in pretty much every category except "compatibility with gaming consoles".  The amp is more powerful and quieter, the DAC is better, it's got more outputs, etc etc.  IMO, the SBX surround is better than DH as well, though many people disagree.  

My point is that there's not any reason to run your Omni through your Mixamp.  Keep in mind the Omni has its own external volume knob so you don't even need the Mixamp for that.

If you do decide to run it through the Mixamp, the Omni does have the option to pass a Dolby signal out so the Mixamp can do the processing.  I don't know why you'd want to do that, though, unless you really prefer DH.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the Omni if you couldn't tell.  :p

BTW, you might check the Nameless Guide to PC Gaming (should be linked at the start of the guide here) for more info on stuff like this.

Thanks for the reply I am convinced. I will have the omni sitting next to my pc and I watch movies and so from the couch as my pc is hooked up to my hdtv. i am not that keen on getting up and walking to the computer to adjust the volume so i was hoping that i could use the mixamp without it changing the SBX signal, purely to adjust the volume.
i might have to run some longer cables and  put the omni next to me instead.
Would the omni also work with ps4 if i connected it via optical(obviously without the chat)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back