Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 9, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #24,466 of 48,562

just a PC

Soundcard is a Soundblaster Recon3D
  Wow, thanks dude!  That's kind of you and I appreciate it.  
beerchug.gif

Fair point both of you about the O2 and Magni.  A portable might be a better choice in that case.  I've forgotten already, @RolandOfEld, what are you using this with?  Just a Mixamp and console?  PC?  Portable?  A little of everything?

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #24,467 of 48,562

The Recon would offer compatibility with consoles. The Omni would have a bit better amp, volume pot, and easier output options (IMO) for the difference of about $20. 

I have the Recon and the Omni and I like them both.  The Omni does sound better, though, if you don't need console compatibility.  Sounds like he doesn't (quoted below).  I'd easily recommend the Omni -- grab one off AWD and save a few bucks and get SBX instead of DH.  :-D

Thank you all so much for your recommendations!  I actually wasn't even looking at the HP200 originally, so I'm glad you brought that to my attention.  I'm checking out all the reviews for it now, and if it is better than X1, I'd probably go with that option since, as you said, it IS cheaper :)  I also like that it comes with a case (I don't think the X1 does).

While overseas, my gaming will be 100% PC only.  I had a PS3 and PS4 in the States but I sold them in preparation for my move.  Hopefully the U3 will be good enough, though I am willing to look into the E17 if it's that much better (Soundblaster E3 sounds promising too since it has both virtual surround, DAC and amp, but I don't know how it would compare to U3 + E17 combo).

Lastly, the one caveat I have regarding the HP200 after reading some posts is the fact it uses pleather cups.  My Sony pulse elite also has pleather and it makes my ears hot after about 45 minutes of use. I get this strange feeling of joy just taking them OFF because my ears can breathe again.  That's one reason I was looking forward to the velour + memory foam of the X1.  Is this a problem with HP200's or HP100's pleather cups?  I'm guessing my pulse elites probably just use extremely cheap pleather perhaps.

Thanks again!

I don't know if the HP200 is "better" than the X1, just that I prefer the sound signature of the HP100 (different can!) to the X1.  Regarding the ear cups, I honestly found the fuzzy, memory foam pads on the X1 to be kind of warm.  I've never had a heat issue with my HP100, even though they're closed AND pleather.  @Change is Good can maybe speak more to the heat on the HP200 from first-hand experience, or you could ask in the HP200 thread (since he's the only person in this thread who has one).

Regarding your sound card choice, if you don't NEED the portability of the E3, the Omni does everything else and it's already out.  You wouldn't need the E17 with the Omni.  You wouldn't actually need another amp for the X1 or the HP200 (though, like I said, the X1 will sound slightly better with a little more amping).

just a PC

Soundcard is a Soundblaster Recon3D

I'd definitely recommend some kind of amping to tighten up the bass, as I found it to be a big help with my Recon and the X1.  It doesn't sound like you need a portable solution, but as others have pointed out, some of the cheaper desktop solutions won't actually pair too well with the X1.  So maybe look into an E12 or C5?

Jul 9, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #24,468 of 48,562
I've finally gotten to the comparison videos in the first post of this guide... Late I know but these are my 2 cents

From the video I've gathered the following:

CMSS3D: 
- has a higher pitch than the others, a possible deal breaker for me personally...
- the most accurate and least "processed" but also the least involving and most analytical IMO 

THX:
- edges out DH slightly in imaging
- rear cues a bit harder to identify
- the sound produced feels less processed than DH, and slightly clearer

DH:
- has a more enveloping sound than the rest, presumably due to the slight "echo effect" applied to certain voices and sounds, this is either a good thing [to me it makes the vocals sound more real and natural and the overall presentation is more pleasing] but I see it might be a bit distracting as well, to some
- overall good imaging, if slightly inaccurate and/or harder to identify due to the echo at times [a slight trade-off]

Razer Surround 

- oh god...
- sucks wee wees...

I personally use DH and am happy with it, but it would seem I'd be happy with the THX as well if I used that.

I do like the "echo" that Dolby Headphone does to the voices and other sounds... they sound more airy and real to ME that way, more enveloping... Personal preference though.

All but Razer imagined very well!

I am not sure how good a representation the video is though, DH sounds a bit better to me when gaming. Might be due to YT encoding?
Personally, it is a toss up between THX and DH, CMSS not rated due to the high pitch [otherwise good] and Razer just a blurry meh.

Tested with reference K612 Pros

I guess the next step for me is getting the TAC w/ Headphone X once available.

Jul 9, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #24,469 of 48,562

I have the Recon and the Omni and I like them both.  The Omni does sound better, though, if you don't need console compatibility.  Sounds like he doesn't (quoted below).  I'd easily recommend the Omni -- grab one off AWD and save a few bucks and get SBX instead of DH.  :-D

I don't know if the HP200 is "better" than the X1, just that I prefer the sound signature of the HP100 (different can!) to the X1.  Regarding the ear cups, I honestly found the fuzzy, memory foam pads on the X1 to be kind of warm.  I've never had a heat issue with my HP100, even though they're closed AND pleather.  @Change is Good can maybe speak more to the heat on the HP200 from first-hand experience, or you could ask in the HP200 thread (since he's the only person in this thread who has one).

Regarding your sound card choice, if you don't NEED the portability of the E3, the Omni does everything else and it's already out.  You wouldn't need the E17 with the Omni.  You wouldn't actually need another amp for the X1 or the HP200 (though, like I said, the X1 will sound slightly better with a little more amping).

Thank you so much for your advice!
Do you (and others) prefer SBX over DH?  Since I'll be getting DH via the Xonar U3, is it worth it to ditch it for the Omni for SBX?  Does the Omni have that much better DAC/Amp than the U3?  I want to make sure that if I get an Omni, I won't have to also purchase a Fiio E17 or something, because if that's the case I can just do that with my existing U3.

Thanks also to MLE for pointing me to the Shure replacement pads.  So now I'm looking at HP200 + Shure pads for $240 combined, or X1 for ~$267.  Price is similar now due to the replacement pads.  I believe from reading some previous posts that Change is Good also uses the replacement pads on his HP200.  Hmm the decision is getting trickier haha.

I just realized that Soundmagic is a Chinese company and is available on Amazon China.... so I guess if I don't make my purchase decision in time before I leave, I can buy it there as well (for slightly higher prices).

Jul 9, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #24,470 of 48,562
You can't go wrong with the HP200. Open, detailed, neutral sounding, and very comfy with the Shure 1540 pads 
dt880smile.png

Jul 9, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #24,471 of 48,562

Thank you so much for your advice!
Do you (and others) prefer SBX over DH?  Since I'll be getting DH via the Xonar U3, is it worth it to ditch it for the Omni for SBX?  Does the Omni have that much better DAC/Amp than the U3?  I want to make sure that if I get an Omni, I won't have to also purchase a Fiio E17 or something, because if that's the case I can just do that with my existing U3.

Thanks also to MLE for pointing me to the Shure replacement pads.  So now I'm looking at HP200 + Shure pads for $240 combined, or X1 for ~$267.  Price is similar now due to the replacement pads.  I believe from reading some previous posts that Change is Good also uses the replacement pads on his HP200.  Hmm the decision is getting trickier haha.

I just realized that Soundmagic is a Chinese company and is available on Amazon China.... so I guess if I don't make my purchase decision in time before I leave, I can buy it there as well (for slightly higher prices).

Regarding SBX vs DH, that's a very personal choice.  I personally prefer THX/SBX (same thing, btw).  You should watch the comparison videos on the first page of this thread and check DH vs THX and decide for yourself.

Regarding the U3, I've never heard it so I can't say.  I will say the DAC in the Omni was indistinguishable from the Schiit Modi to me so I returned my Modi.  Considering how highly people rate the Modi around here, I'd say that's pretty solid.

Regarding the HP200, keep an eye on Amazon used section.  Micca Distributor sometimes sells refurbs for dirt cheap.  If you can get one of those, it's a no-brainer.  Mine was $135 shipped ($200 normally).

Jul 9, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #24,473 of 48,562
@Mad Lust Envy...great thread. I have a few questions I hope you can help me with. I think I might of asked you this a couple years ago in Xbox live chat.

Been looking for an immersive headphone for single player games. I already own ad700s for competitive. I narrowed it down to 3 headphones from your reviews. DT 770 pro 80, ultrasone pro 900, and denon d7000. Out of those 3 which would you go for? Will the astro mix amp power the pro 80s enough?

If not, can an additional amp be hooked up to the astro mix amp?

Last question. Just bought the Siberia v2 as a backup headset to my ad700s (I needed closed to). They're pretty decent, with an average mic. Comfort it great. Have you user them yet or only the v1? Are there any velour replacement earpads for the v2? The pleathee can get hot. Was going to return them but ended up keeping them for $80.

If you had to choose one closed headphone headset for competitive gaming, what would you choose? Thanks.

Mike

I think you should kill two birds with one stone and get the Shure 1540s. I trust Change and what he says of them, and I believe if I wanted a closed headphone as well as a fun headphone, it would definitely be the 1540, no questions about it.

Who are you talking about that says the 1540 is good?

Forgot how much $$$ the d7000 was. Considering the dt770s are half the price of the d7000 and pro 900, would it still be a good buy for my needs? Can the mix amp handle the 80ohm?

That would be me. I stand by everything I have posted about the SRH1540. It is the only closed headphone that hit all the sweet spots for me, resulting in the longest period of time of which I have owned one.

Jul 9, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #24,474 of 48,562
Anyone know of a way to input multi-channel audio from a console to your PC (Windows)?

Idea is to output surround sound from console into a PC and then use virtual surround sound software on PC. This way I can avoid a Mixamp and avoid Dolby Headphone.

Can this be done through a capture card and virtual audio cables?

Jul 9, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #24,476 of 48,562
Never got the hype for the 1540. The soundstage is very narrow although the thin sound gives it an airy appearance. I prefer my 770 for closed back gaming, much larger stage and accuracy. I'm hoping to do some pad rolling on my 1540 to thicken the sound a bit, but I want to try get the stage larger.

Jul 9, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #24,478 of 48,562
Quite a few People at the office have the same opinion. We literally test headphones all day and I'd say about 75% were disappointed.

Has anyone hooked up the TH600? Guessing they sound identical to the D7000.

Jul 9, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #24,479 of 48,562
You'd guess wrong. TH600 is know to be more neutral, though with a stronger mid bass emphasis over the sub bass, which is the opposite of the D7000, which is known for it's whopping sub bass.

Change, I may take up your offer for the 1540 loan soonish, if you'll allow me. I'll send you the 15G on the way back if you wanna try something new and cheapish. :D

Jul 9, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #24,480 of 48,562

Regarding SBX vs DH, that's a very personal choice.  I personally prefer THX/SBX (same thing, btw).  You should watch the comparison videos on the first page of this thread and check DH vs THX and decide for yourself.

Regarding the U3, I've never heard it so I can't say.  I will say the DAC in the Omni was indistinguishable from the Schiit Modi to me so I returned my Modi.  Considering how highly people rate the Modi around here, I'd say that's pretty solid.

Regarding the HP200, keep an eye on Amazon used section.  Micca Distributor sometimes sells refurbs for dirt cheap.  If you can get one of those, it's a no-brainer.  Mine was $135 shipped ($200 normally).

Thank you once again for your help, Stillhart.
It sounds like you really enjoy the HP100's.  If I were to change my mind and go for a closed headphone, is the HP100 the best choice at the sub-$300 price range for immersive (not competitive) PC gaming?  I've heard the DT770's are pretty good too, though perhaps the 80ohm version would need a better amp than the U3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back