Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 8, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #24,406 of 48,562
I agree. It's not very loud, in fact my PS3 super slim makes a far more irritating high pitched fan noise, it's something that just 'disappears' when you're fully immersed in a game.
Much like the AC that's on during hot days.

Jul 8, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #24,407 of 48,562
I live in a perpetual state of fan noise, and I've used open headphones since the beginning. I've learned to mentally block my fans out regardless. I can't live without a fan. Even with something as open as the MA900 or HE-400, fan noise really doesn't bother me.

I always have fan noise from my PC, PS4 or Xbox 360 on one side of my room and the noise from my air purifier on the other side (which also doubles as a fan on hot days). When I have everything off, it's just too quiet :p

Jul 8, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #24,409 of 48,562
Jul 8, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #24,410 of 48,562
Foam tips are the only tips I can live with on IEMs, but on every IEM I've owned, it has killed the highs, and made things overly bassy. And yes, I've inserted them correctly. I just have bad luck with IEMs.

Jul 8, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #24,411 of 48,562
does anyone know if the turtle beach tac will come in a wireless solution as well. kinda like the mixamp 5.8. i wouldn't want to go back to wired headphones but would love to be able to also get dts signals decoded to a headphone surround system. especially for blu-ray or dvd which i often have to decode to dd 5.1 beforehand so i can watch/hear them with my mixamp.

Jul 8, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #24,412 of 48,562
  does anyone know if the turtle beach tac will come in a wireless solution as well. kinda like the mixamp 5.8. i wouldn't want to go back to wired headphones but would love to be able to also get dts signals decoded to a headphone surround system. especially for blu-ray or dvd which i often have to decode to dd 5.1 beforehand so i can watch/hear them with my mixamp.

I have the official press release and it doesn't mention wireless for the TAC, but it also doesn't implicitly state that it's wired-only either. But knowing Turtle Beach's announcements and the gaming market as a whole, wireless is a big buzz word so if it were going to be wireless I would imagine they'd be sure to point that out. It was a short while after the Mixamp came out that Astro introduced the Mixamp 5.8, so assuming the TAC does well we may see them evolve the product down the road to allow wireless transmission. If wireless is a must, you may be able to pair the TAC with an external wireless transmitter like this one from FiiO. There are others on the market but that's a good starting point.

Jul 8, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #24,413 of 48,562
thx @axelcloris for your input. yeah i figured they would explicitly say "wireless" in the press release and as i now saw the first picture of the device it looks like the wired mixamp 2013 without a receiver device. hope they'll add a wireless one in the future!

Jul 8, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #24,414 of 48,562
  thx @axelcloris for your input. yeah i figured they would explicitly say "wireless" in the press release and as i now saw the first picture of the device it looks like the wired mixamp 2013 without a receiver device. hope they'll add a wireless one in the future!

Wireless would be a strong addition, but I'm glad they skipped it in the first generation TAC. That will allow them to focus on the integration of the core tech and work out any bugs before moving into the wireless realm which will only open the possibility for more issues. My preference for devices like this is sound quality first and convenience second. Besides, if they sell a bunch of first gen wired TACs then release a wireless version 8 months to a year later that'll bring in a lot of revenue for Turtle Beach.

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #24,415 of 48,562
I think the 990 Pro would be the better choice for immersion, assuming they're okay with a strong treble output. The 558 is great, but still wouldn't be one of my recommended picks for immersion and all around gaming. It'd be leaning more towards competitive.

If the Sony MA-900 could be found in Brazil for a good price, I'd recommend that the most.

If you can deal with the Q701's price... perhaps try also ordering some 65th Anniversary pads for it, which will DEFINITELY be my top recommendation out of your list, assuming you can afford it all.

Hi MLE, which headfone can be even better than MA900, for imersion and SS\3D perception on games like BF4?

They seems awesome for me, but if exist even better i would like to check.

Thx

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #24,416 of 48,562
Hmmm...

I think part of the reason that IEMs have clearer imaging may be related to noise attentuation. If you have 26dB of noise attentuation then it becomes much easier to spatialise sounds. I spent some time in a very quiet room without fan noise and went back and forth between my HD 600s and ER-4P and found the imaging to be mostly the same. Full-size open headphones sound more real but that may be because of the psychoacoustic effect of having your ears sealed and the lack of background noise. I wonder if full size headphones would sound like IEMs in an anechoic chamber. Hopefully, I can test that someday.

Sounds at 45° round to 135° are easy to spatialise for both sides. It is the area in front of the head and behind the head where it is difficult spatialise. You can get back to front reversals where sound that should coming in front of you sounds like it is coming from behind. I'll spend some more time focusing on this area in comparing the Sennheiser HD 600 to the Etymotic ER-4P.

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #24,417 of 48,562
Hmmm...

I think part of the reason that IEMs have clearer imaging may be related to noise attentuation. If you have 26dB of noise attentuation then it becomes much easier to spatialise sounds. I spent some time in a very quiet room without fan noise and went back and forth between my HD 600s and ER-4P and found the imaging to be mostly the same. Full-size open headphones sound more real but that may be because of the psychoacoustic effect of having your ears sealed and the lack of background noise. I wonder if full size headphones would sound like IEMs in an anechoic chamber. Hopefully, I can test that someday.

Wow! I gonna try my ER-4P for gaming tomorrow, because i left them at work. Would be nice if they have so good imersion as you sense. Thx for advise.

I can try SM3 tonight.

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #24,418 of 48,562
Wow! I gonna try my ER-4P for gaming tomorrow, because i left them at work. Would be nice if they have so good imersion as you sense. Thx for advise.

I can try SM3 tonight.

IEMs are massively underrated for gaming which I think is undeserved. The airy property of open headphones adds to the experience but we are often in environments where isolation from noise is required.
  Hmmm...

Sounds at 45° round to 135° are easy to spatialise for both sides. It is the area in front of the head and behind the head where it is difficult spatialise. You can get back to front reversals where sound that should coming in front of you sounds like it is coming from behind. I'll spend some more time focusing on this area in comparing the Sennheiser HD 600 to the Etymotic ER-4P.

Hmmm...

Spent some time listening again to binaural tracks. Listening with my Etymotics is like listening with a black backgroud. Listening with my Sennheiser HD 600 is like there is a thin layer of blur over the image. Not a huge difference but enough that I would prefer using my Etymotics. Another reason I prefer them is that you are effectively gaming in silence which I find helps with immersion.

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #24,419 of 48,562
Don't forget that some of us prefer to have open headphones because we can't be completely isolated.  I need to hear if my baby is crying or if my wife needs me.  She HATES when she's talking to me and I can't hear her.

Also, I haven't yet heard an IEM that sounds as good as my Q701... ever.  That said, I've never heard a real IEM like the Etymolics.  One day, I'll drop the cash, but I'm in no rush.

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #24,420 of 48,562
  Don't forget that some of us prefer to have open headphones because we can't be completely isolated.  I need to hear if my baby is crying or if my wife needs me.  She HATES when she's talking to me and I can't hear her.

Also, I haven't yet heard an IEM that sounds as good as my Q701... ever.  That said, I've never heard a real IEM like the Etymolics.  One day, I'll drop the cash, but I'm in no rush.

Have you some cloud about Q701 vs MA900?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back