Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 18, 2014 at 4:56 AM Post #24,166 of 48,566
Is it Xbox One or Xbox 360? On Xbox one you can just buy the headset adapter and plug the headset directly into the controller.

Jun 19, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #24,170 of 48,566
Anyone have any suggestions for my next headphone? I'm thinking HE-500. I want something like the AKG k712/k702 annie, but just with more bass. Neutral headphones are my type. Would like them to be good for gaming as well.

Jun 19, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #24,172 of 48,566
I'm so sorry if this has already been covered in the thread. I'm normally the guy that sits and reads EVERY page before asking my question, but I couldn't make it through all 1612 pages. I went through a few, but didn't find my answer. Here's my situation. I want the K712 Pro and the mixamp 2013 from Astro. I will be using this setup to play games on X-Box One, X-Box 360, PS4, PS3, and maybe PC (depending on what happens with my current Plantronics headset). I would also like to use the 712s for music at home and on the go (vacation/airplane). My question is, what will I need in addition to the K712s and Astro Mixamp to make all of this work? Do I need an extra headphone amp for this setup as detailed on the first page? Sorry guys, this is my first big headphone purchase and I just want to make sure I do it right and get the most out of them. Thanks in advance.

Jun 19, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #24,173 of 48,566
I'm so sorry if this has already been covered in the thread. I'm normally the guy that sits and reads EVERY page before asking my question, but I couldn't make it through all 1612 pages. I went through a few, but didn't find my answer. Here's my situation. I want the K712 Pro and the mixamp 2013 from Astro. I will be using this setup to play games on X-Box One, X-Box 360, PS4, PS3, and maybe PC (depending on what happens with my current Plantronics headset). I would also like to use the 712s for music at home and on the go (vacation/airplane). My question is, what will I need in addition to the K712s and Astro Mixamp to make all of this work? Do I need an extra headphone amp for this setup as detailed on the first page? Sorry guys, this is my first big headphone purchase and I just want to make sure I do it right and get the most out of them. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to Head-Fi! :D

Before I bought my K712s, I was in the same situation as you. I had only my Astro setup (A40s and Mixamp) and was looking for a serious upgrade. I ended up getting the K712s, a SoundBlaster Omni for my PC gaming and music needs and a Schiit Vali to power the cans.

An amp will make a huge difference when you're using the Astro Mixamp. For me, the Mixamp alonr was too quiet, made the highs harsh and sibilant and just didn't make the headphones sound pleasing. When I added the Vali into the chain, the amp corrected all of those issues.

As for potential PC gaming, the Omni is an awesome device and you may want to consider it. It seems to work decently well with the K712s without a dedicated amp but for me, harsh highs are still a slight issue.

Stillhart will be able to explain further and back me up here. He was one of the people here who helped me with my purchases.

tl;dr Get an amp for the K712. The Vali pairs really well with the AKG K/Q7xx line from what I've heard and experienced.

Edit: I missed the part where you said they'd be for portable use. As Murder Mike said, they're open so they won't work well in a noisy place and may disturb those around you as they will hear what is playing through the headphones. Open headphones won't be a good choice for portables. The K712s are also big cans and not portable.

I personally use a set of Vsonic GR07 Bass Editions for portable use. They cost me $150 and are actually pretty amazing for the price IMO.

Jun 19, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #24,174 of 48,566
I'd also like to point out that the K7x2 line is not very portable friendly due to them being open. You can completely forget about using them on a plane. In a quiet room or hotel, they should work well if you have a nice portable source/amp, but I would honestly just pick up some decent $50-$100 IEMs.

Jun 19, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #24,175 of 48,566
  I'd also like to point out that the K7x2 line is not very portable friendly due to them being open. You can completely forget about using them on a plane. In a quiet room or hotel, they should work well if you have a nice portable source/amp, but I would honestly just pick up some decent $50-$100 IEMs.

I use my open MA900 for walks, hikes and even public transport travel and any other travel. Either these isolate more than they're given credit to [unlikely], my local public transport does not require that much isolation or open headphones are vastly underrated for such purposes.

I have the K612 and if it was easier to drive, I'd give it a shot for that as well...

I don't listen too loud either, I have to listen about 1 - 3db louder than indoor, but that is still much less loudness than what my friends listen at... Seriously people just don't care or my hearing is exceptional.

Jun 19, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #24,177 of 48,566
  I use my open MA900 for walks, hikes and even public transport travel and any other travel. Either these isolate more than they're given credit to [unlikely], my local public transport does not require that much isolation or open headphones are vastly underrated for such purposes.

I have the K612 and if it was easier to drive, I'd give it a shot for that as well...

I don't listen too loud either, I have to listen about 1 - 3db louder than indoor, but that is still much less loudness than what my friends listen at... Seriously people just don't care or my hearing is exceptional.

/shrug, to each their own. Also, an airplane is quite a bit louder than a bus/train as far as noise level goes, especially if you end up right next to the engine. 

Jun 19, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #24,179 of 48,566

why not? they are probably one of the best neutral headphones out these with fantastic imagine, soundstage and exceptional extension in bass. I personally prefer them over hd600 and many more.   

Well, because the review I read stated it only had a marginal improvement in bass, and mm, I kinda doubt a $200 headphone is going to sound near as good as the HE-500, which debuted for like idk $800?

Jun 19, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #24,180 of 48,566

why not? they are probably one of the best neutral headphones out these with fantastic imagine, soundstage and exceptional extension in bass. I personally prefer them over hd600 and many more.   

How about because he already has the Q701 and the K702 Annies, which are probably as good or better?

You might look into the new HiFiMan cans coming out later this year.  MLE is very excited fro the HE-560...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back