Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 12, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #24,078 of 48,562
  Does anyone here use any of the AKG Q701 or K612 PRO or anything like that with the Astro Mixamp on PC or any of the Schiit amps? Interested in one of those combos...

If you're on a PC, it's cheaper and more effective to just get a sound card rather than a Mixamp.  I use the Q701 with Sound Blaster Omni and an amp and it sounds amazing for games and for music.

Jun 12, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #24,079 of 48,562
Okay, well I mean I already have the Mixamp, but I was thinking a better sound card would be best anyways. I was also thinking about either the ATH-AD900x or Q701. I can't decide between the two and I've used neither. Anyone have both or either and care to add to what they think about them?

Jun 13, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #24,081 of 48,562
Was debating on getting a new set of headphones for gaming and was wondering if you would recommend using the AKG K550. I have read here that the K/Q 701 are highly recommended but would prefer a set of closed headphones. Currently been using my Sony MDR-v6 since the last gaming headset i had died.

Main use would be for gaming, but I also watch stuff on netflix, hulu, music here and there. My computer also has a xonar dg inside and I own a fiio e17. So would like some help please. I don't do competitive gaming but do tent to play BF4. GW2 and a bunch of other stuff I bought off steam. That is all I can think of so would like some help please.

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #24,082 of 48,562
  Sorry if this has been covered over and over again, but is there anything out there you guys would recommend so far as good sound card solutions for PC laptops? Or are laptops a lost cause?

For something small and USB powered, the Xonar U3 is a good choice. For something a little larger and nicer, the Sound Blaster Omni is solid. If you wanted something for PC and consoles, the Recon3D USB will also work and is a bit smaller than the Omni. 

Was debating on getting a new set of headphones for gaming and was wondering if you would recommend using the AKG K550. I have read here that the K/Q 701 are highly recommended but would prefer a set of closed headphones. Currently been using my Sony MDR-v6 since the last gaming headset i had died.

Main use would be for gaming, but I also watch stuff on netflix, hulu, music here and there. My computer also has a xonar dg inside and I own a fiio e17. So would like some help please. I don't do competitive gaming but do tent to play BF4. GW2 and a bunch of other stuff I bought off steam. That is all I can think of so would like some help please.

Soundmagic HP100 for closed. I think someone on here got a pair recently and had good things to say about them. The Brainwavz HM5 / NVX XPT100 is a solid choice if your budget isn't that high. The CAL (Creative Aurvana Live!) is also very nice for the price. 

Jun 13, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #24,084 of 48,562

For something small and USB powered, the Xonar U3 is a good choice. For something a little larger and nicer, the Sound Blaster Omni is solid. If you wanted something for PC and consoles, the Recon3D USB will also work and is a bit smaller than the Omni. 

Soundmagic HP100 for closed. I think someone on here got a pair recently and had good things to say about them. The Brainwavz HM5 / NVX XPT100 is a solid choice if your budget isn't that high. The CAL (Creative Aurvana Live!) is also very nice for the price. 

The Recon is only about 1cm shorter in length, but it's almost twice as wide.  It's bigger than it looks in the pictures.

Regarding the HP100, love em, but I honestly haven't tried using them for gaming yet.  It'd recommend them for a great all-around closed headphone, for sure tho.  If you keep an eye on Amazon, you will occasionally see a refurb for $130.  That's how I got mine and it was basically like new.  A complete steal for the price.

Jun 13, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #24,086 of 48,562
The HP100 is a superb closed all rounder. If I had it, welllllll... let's not even put that thought in my head lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back