Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 6, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #23,971 of 48,562
Hi!

Any recommendations for an external microphone to attach to my HD650s? I understand that ModMic seems to be the best but the price will total to $70~ or so after all is said and done- especially since I'm in Canada.

I'm looking for something that has a pretty good sound for a low price (like everyone else...) and wont get in the way of my HD650s. I'm in Canada and would really like to order from a Canadian source like Amazon.ca.

Thanks!

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #23,972 of 48,562
  So I should buy a amp.

How exaclly can I edit the amp. I never done this before and I am not even sure, what a amp does.

Also, doesnt the creative zxr have also an amp?

Hi!

Any recommendations for an external microphone to attach to my HD650s? I understand that ModMic seems to be the best but the price will total to $70~ or so after all is said and done- especially since I'm in Canada.

I'm looking for something that has a pretty good sound for a low price (like everyone else...) and wont get in the way of my HD650s. I'm in Canada and would really like to order from a Canadian source like Amazon.ca.

Thanks!

The first post in this thread has some info on both amps and mics.  Personally, I just use the cheap ($5 for 3) Neweer mic that I clip to the headphone cable.

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #23,973 of 48,562
Thanks for being very helpful, as you have, Stillhart. We all know some of us don't have the patience for some of these questions that have been posted, recently. It has killed the thread, a significant bit, in my opinion...

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #23,974 of 48,562
Thanks! I have a really hard time loading the main page with my internet... it just doesn't load since my net is so bad lol.

I did a search and found these on Amazon.ca:

http://www.amazon.ca/HDE%C2%AE-3-5-Clip-Mini-Microphone/dp/B001N0W2B6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402101392&sr=8-1&keywords=mic

Would this actually work at $7 after shipping? Any chance you can do a quick check on Amazon.ca and let me know which I should pick up, if any? I really would read the reviews but it won't let me =(

Thanks again!

Jun 6, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #23,975 of 48,562
  Thanks! I have a really hard time loading the main page with my internet... it just doesn't load since my net is so bad lol.

I did a search and found these on Amazon.ca:

http://www.amazon.ca/HDE%C2%AE-3-5-Clip-Mini-Microphone/dp/B001N0W2B6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402101392&sr=8-1&keywords=mic

Would this actually work at $7 after shipping? Any chance you can do a quick check on Amazon.ca and let me know which I should pick up, if any? I really would read the reviews but it won't let me =(

Thanks again!

The HDE is the one I use, it's the same thing as the Neewer.  Of the three I got, one was a DOA and two worked.  That's good enough for me.  Takes a couple weeks to ship from China btw.

Jun 6, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #23,976 of 48,562
Thanks for the info. Is the ModMic that much better in quality/etc? I'm reading the reviews on this thing and it seems there are so many DoA/etc problems... It kind of scares me.

Do I have any non clip-on options? Or are those really the only good quality for voice/etc for games when you have an open pair of headphones?

Jun 6, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #23,977 of 48,562
  Thanks for the info. Is the ModMic that much better in quality/etc? I'm reading the reviews on this thing and it seems there are so many DoA/etc problems... It kind of scares me.

Do I have any non clip-on options? Or are those really the only good quality for voice/etc for games when you have an open pair of headphones?

I mean, there are a few options in the guide.  I can only speak to the ones I've used, which are the HDE/Neweer and the V-Moda Boompro, which won't work for your headphones. 

I will say that you can get what... 30 HDE's for the price of one Modmic?  I suspect the DOA rate is significantly less than 29 in 30. 
wink.gif

Are you gaming on the PC or console?  If you're on the PC, there are a lot more options cuz you can use a desktop solution (like the one that comes with the Sound Blaster Z).

Jun 6, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #23,978 of 48,562

I mean, there are a few options in the guide.  I can only speak to the ones I've used, which are the HDE/Neweer and the V-Moda Boompro, which won't work for your headphones. 

I will say that you can get what... 30 HDE's for the price of one Modmic?  I suspect the DOA rate is significantly less than 29 in 30. 
wink.gif

Are you gaming on the PC or console?  If you're on the PC, there are a lot more options cuz you can use a desktop solution (like the one that comes with the Sound Blaster Z).

I'm on my PC! I should have said that, I guess =)

Jun 6, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #23,981 of 48,562
Thanks for being very helpful, as you have, Stillhart. We all know some of us don't have the patience for some of these questions that have been posted, recently. It has killed the thread, a significant bit, in my opinion...

I think the redundancy is more to blame. Then again, some don't have the patience to wade through 1599 pages worth of discussion just to find a singular answer to their focused question.

Jun 6, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #23,982 of 48,562
  I have a Vali/Modi with HD650s, onboard sound aside from that.

Okay, well you can get a Sound Blaster Z or Omni for around $70 at Amazon US.  I'd recommend one of those for gaming.  You get surround sound and a desktop mic that works great.  For the same price as the modmic, it's probably a better way to spend your cash. 

FWIW, I couldn't hear much difference between the DAC in the Omni and the Modi, so I returned my Modi.  In theory, you might be able to get the Sound Blaster and eventually sell the Modi and come out slightly ahead (depending on your ears).

Jun 6, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #23,983 of 48,562

Okay, well you can get a Sound Blaster Z or Omni for around $70 at Amazon US.  I'd recommend one of those for gaming.  You get surround sound and a desktop mic that works great.  For the same price as the modmic, it's probably a better way to spend your cash. 

FWIW, I couldn't hear much difference between the DAC in the Omni and the Modi, so I returned my Modi.  In theory, you might be able to get the Sound Blaster and eventually sell the Modi and come out slightly ahead (depending on your ears).

Ahh... when I was first picking things out I was told I wouldn't ever need a soundcard with the Vali/Modi. Damn! =)

I actually have the ASUS Maximus VI Hero. I have read that the sound is much better on this than other boards, perhaps it's good enough for voice?

Jun 7, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #23,984 of 48,562

Ahh... when I was first picking things out I was told I wouldn't ever need a soundcard with the Vali/Modi. Damn! =)

I actually have the ASUS Maximus VI Hero. I have read that the sound is much better on this than other boards, perhaps it's good enough for voice?

Well you're in a thread for people who like surround sound in their gaming, so we're going to push surround solutions.  The Modi will only give you stereo sound.  It'll sound great, but you've got room to improving for gaming.

I don't know enough about onboard sound and I'm not going to go look it up, but I wouldn't be surprised if that one has good sound.  That's their flagship MoBo isn't it?  I'm sure it's fine for voice.  I just think if you're spending $70 on a mod-mic, the SBZ is probably a better solution that gives you voice AND surround.  :-D

So yeah, I'm sure most any desktop mic will work fine.  A quick search of Amazon shows a zillion of em in the $10 range.  Again, probably not the best quality, but sufficient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back