Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 1, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #22,426 of 48,562
  Speaking of that bug, the HE-400 is ~$250 on Razordog right now (with the velour pads).  I know the 400i is coming out soon, but this sounds like a great deal. MLE makes them sound like a very attractive alternative to the X1 if you have a nice amp (hi, Change!) and don't mind the loss of the Boom-pro.

comfort wise I gotta weigh in.

It's 440 Grams. It's heavy, and u do get used to it but depending on your gaming sessions (I can go sometimes with friends for like 5-7 hours straight), i think it'd be bothersome. and the fact that the treble is an issue -it can be eqd, but that's not as much of an option on consoles.

I like my he 400s alot, but I just couldn't see myself ever using them for gaming too much and the weight is a big reason why.

Apr 1, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #22,427 of 48,562
Do you think modded T50RP (Mad Dog or ZMF mod) would have an advantage over Sony MA900 for gaming (with CMSS-3D or Dolby Headphone) and movie watching? Connected to Xonar Essence STX sound card.
Mad Lust Envy gave 8.75 to Mad Dog for fun and 7 for competitive, while MA900 scored 8 and 8.75.
If I am more after narutal, realistic, immersive sound (sort of coming from the real world, not the headphones), should I spend more on T50RP mods or go with MA900?
From what I read about ZMF mod, it seems to be more towards monitoring sound versus Mad Dog.

Apr 1, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #22,428 of 48,562
If you can have an open headphone in your environment I'd always recommend it over a closed headphone.
Especially with gaming, I find open headphones to add a new level of immersion because of the air and projection.
Mad Dogs are great but a closed headphone will always be closed thereby I'd recommend the MA900 instead. I own it and it is a great all-round headphone.

Do you think modded T50RP (Mad Dog or ZMF mod) would have an advantage over Sony MA900 for gaming (with CMSS-3D or Dolby Headphone) and movie watching? Connected to Xonar Essence STX sound card.
Mad Lust Envy gave 8.75 to Mad Dog for fun and 7 for competitive, while MA900 scored 8 and 8.75.
If I am more after narutal, realistic, immersive sound (sort of coming from the real world, not the headphones), should I spend more on T50RP mods or go with MA900?
From what I read about ZMF mod, it seems to be more towards monitoring sound versus Mad Dog.

Apr 1, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #22,430 of 48,562
If you can have an open headphone in your environment I'd always recommend it over a closed headphone.
Especially with gaming, I find open headphones to add a new level of immersion because of the air and projection.
Mad Dogs are great but a closed headphone will always be closed thereby I'd recommend the MA900 instead. I own it and it is a great all-round headphone.

Someone on this forum mentioned that ZMF T50RP have soundstage about the same size as MA900.

Apr 1, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #22,431 of 48,562
  Someone on this forum mentioned that ZMF T50RP have soundstage about the same size as MA900.

Yes the headphone might as well have similarly sized soundstage but it's about the openness of the sound.
Try covering an open headphone with your hands and you get a semi-open sound. Now cover the ports fully with a cloth and you get a closed headphone sound.
Side by side it is much more apparent. If you don't have a comparison on hand or never heard an open headphone you might as well be very happy with a closed one. I was, until I heard open. 

Apr 1, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #22,432 of 48,562
Hey guys!
biggrin.gif

Im running my X1 Fidelio connected to my old Sony Bravia TV for 3 months now.
Besides watching some movies and listening music i mostly play Battlefield 4 (competetive) on my PS4.
I had some cheap Sennheiser for over 2 years before, then i went to buy some Tritton Pro 5.1 Surround Crap for 160€ (!!!) and brought them back the same day i bought them. What the hell was that ??? They sounded soo agressive and unbalanced. I felt like playing with some 10€ headphones. Pin-pointing enemys while playing BF4 was impossible. It was just loud surround sound all around me.
eek.gif

Best choice ever was buying the X1 after that and ohh my god, im still so blown away how good it sounds!!
k701smile.gif

A difference between night and day.
Great soundstage, warm sound with a good amount of bass. Simply amazing!
And its so easy to locate my enemy with audio now.
cool.gif

Soo why not take a step further and buy a Virtual Surround Device ?
After some research i bought the Turtle Beach DSS 2 yesterday cause i only read positive feedback.
I played with it around 2 hours now but i cant get the hang of it. All warmth of the sound is gone. Soundstage is very tight and unbalanced imo. Felt like i was playing with a better Tritton again.
triportsad.gif

I think i may have to stick to stereo.
Or is the Astro Mixamp that much better ??

Excuse my bad english..

Apr 1, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #22,433 of 48,562
  Hey guys!
biggrin.gif

Im running with my X1 Fidelio connected to my old Sony Bravia TV for 3 months now.
Besides watching some movies and listening music i mostly play Battlefield 4 (competetive) on my PS4.
I had some cheap Sennheiser for over 2 years before, then i went to buy some Tritton Pro 5.1 Surround Crap for 160€ (!!!) and brought them back the same day i bought them. What the hell was that ??? They sounded soo agressive and unbalanced. I felt like playing with some 10€ headphones. Pin-pointing enemys while playing BF4 was impossible. It was just loud surround sound all around me.
eek.gif

Best choice ever was buying the X1 after that and ohh my god, im still so blown away how good it sounds!!
k701smile.gif

A difference between night and day.
Great soundstage, warm sound with a good amount of bass. Simply amazing!
And its so easy to locate my enemy with audio now.
cool.gif

Soo why not take a step further and buy a Virtual Surround Device ?
After some research i bought the Turtle Beach DSS 2 yesterday cause i only read positive feedback.
I played with it around 2 hours now but i cant get the hang of it. All warmth of the sound is gone. Soundstage is very tight and unbalanced imo. Felt like i was playing with a better Tritton again.
triportsad.gif

I think i may have to stick to stereo.
Or is the Astro Mixamp that much better ??

Excuse my bad english..

DSS 2 uses different [worse] technology than the MixAmp, Tritton, DSS 1 or TB receiver station A.
Those use Dolby Headphone, while DSS 2 uses a lower accuracy simulation technology...

All this is written in the guide man! Here - "New version, the DSS2 does not use Dolby Headphone, and only simulates 4 speakers. It is unknown (so far) how it compares to Dolby Headphone." - It's been stated that the DSS2 solution is worse compared to DH.

Apr 1, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #22,434 of 48,562

DSS 2 uses different [worse] technology than the MixAmp, Tritton, DSS 1 or TB receiver station A.
Those use Dolby Headphone, while DSS 2 uses a lower accuracy simulation technology...

All this is written in the guide man! Here - "New version, the DSS2 does not use Dolby Headphone, and only simulates 4 speakers. It is unknown (so far) how it compares to Dolby Headphone." - It's been stated that the DSS2 solution is worse compared to DH.

Too bad i found this thread after buying the DSS2.
I may give Virtual Surround another chance.
biggrin.gif

Apr 1, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #22,435 of 48,562

Too bad i found this thread after buying the DSS2.
I may give Virtual Surround another chance.
biggrin.gif

You should! It's awesome once you get used to it. Then again, the headphones play an important role but the X1 got you covered :}

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #22,436 of 48,562
Hi great guide, helped me alot, thanks!

I've decided to buy Fidelio x1 but im a little confused. Should i buy the audio cable and the grado adapter cable that you recommend if i buy the V-moda BoomPro?

Im gonna use it for pc gaming with my Creative Soundblaster Z soundcard.

Thanks in advance.

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #22,437 of 48,562
  Hi great guide, helped me alot, thanks!

I've decided to buy Fidelio x1 but im a little confused. Should i buy the audio cable and the grado adapter cable that you recommend if i buy the V-moda BoomPro?

Im gonna use it for pc gaming with my Creative Soundblaster Z soundcard.

Thanks in advance.

If you're buying the Boompro to go with the X1, that's all the cable you need.  It comes with a Y-adapter.

BTW, I know someone selling a barely used X1 if you're looking to save a few bucks. 
wink.gif

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #22,438 of 48,562
  is there anything below $200 significantly better than a sennheiser HD 595 for gaming? if so what are the options?

I haven't heard the 595, so I can't speak from experience.  But everything I've read says that your main options are the 598, X1 (if you can find it used), Q701 ($200 new and relatively easy to find used), MA-900 (if you can find them that cheap anymore, they're discontinued), ATH-700.

As to which of those are significantly better?  Probably the Q701 and the ATH-700.  There's a nice top 10 list at the begninnig of this guide that lists all the recommendations for competitive gaming.  I suspect most of those will be viable options.

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #22,439 of 48,562
  I haven't heard the 595, so I can't speak from experience.  But everything I've read says that your main options are the 598, X1 (if you can find it used), Q701 ($200 new and relatively easy to find used), MA-900 (if you can find them that cheap anymore, they're discontinued), ATH-700.

As to which of those are significantly better?  Probably the Q701 and the ATH-700.  There's a nice top 10 list at the begninnig of this guide that lists all the recommendations for competitive gaming.  I suspect most of those will be viable options.

The Q701 is good but will absolutely need an AMP, as soon as I turned the dial to mix in chat audio with game audio through my Mixamp the volume drops and you can just tell they are struggling.

The MA900 is fantastic but a unique fit.

The AD700 (the open version, not to be confused with the A700) are what I'm using after trying all the above, though I'm currently looking to grab another pair of X1's, I just got the original pair through Amazon and paid too much for them at the time (missed the $150 gold box deal).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back