Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 27, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #22,156 of 48,562
I think the location at which the chat and game audio mixing is happening is different for the two systems. With the 360 they at least give you the option of changing chat volume at the os level. I believe the latest xbone update allows you to do this when using kinect chat but doesn't help those trying to mod the original adapter.

I think the xbone controller receives 2 discrete audio streams - game and chat - and the mixing function happens with the adapter. Without the latest adapter it outputs both game and chat audio pre-mixed (when using the system supplied adapter) in the same output audio stream. With legacy headsets they would receive just the chat stream from the controllers and the mixing would happen at the headset or mixamp level depending on whether you've got tb or astro.

So how to trick the system supplied adapter to strip out game audio while still passing through the chat feed? May not be possible as the circuitry probably isn't setup to suppress the game feed
frown.gif
I'm slowly resigning myself to buying the new adapter.

Edit: words

I am using the xbone chat adapter  and turn the game volume all the way down, works great since it has seperate volume controls for game and chat

Mar 27, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #22,158 of 48,562
And we're live folks!

On ps4/twitch?

Got myself a ps4 today with infamous second son..everything works with my dac . i never had to change one setting!

Is surround working? Which DAC?

... has anyone heard anything of any virtual surround processors coming in the future?

Maybe, but I haven't heard of any new processors... except maybe games supporting TrueAudio built-in to the PS4 itself, and the add-on prototype for a Sony occulus-type VR headset called the Morpheus with head-tracking 3D video and audio. Yes, 3D head-tracking audio, for a console.

Just a prototype right now, though.

Mar 27, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #22,161 of 48,562
I heard about the PS4 VR solution. When I first heard about it my gut told me that a) it will be very expensive, considering how their personal viewer was for what it is and b) I worry they may try to rush it to market to beat the competition without resolving some of the problems that face VR such as latency.

I really don't know what to think about Facebook buying Oculus. I've been waiting on that for a long time so I'm hoping this wont affect it in a negative way.

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #22,162 of 48,562
I'm skeptical of the Sony VR the same way I was skeptical of 3D support on the PS3. 3D made games look and run horribly. Literally, their best games with 3D look like they ran at 480p at 24fps. It was atrocious to watch.

I dunno how these Vr headsets do their magic, but if it splits the power of the PS4 to run two screens at once or whatever, you can expect 1080p/60fps games to run at probably 720p/30fps.

VR sounds ideal for the PC market, where power is up to the user...

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #22,163 of 48,562
  I heard about the PS4 VR solution. When I first heard about it my gut told me that a) it will be very expensive, considering how their personal viewer was for what it is and b) I worry they may try to rush it to market to beat the competition without resolving some of the problems that face VR such as latency.

I really don't know what to think about Facebook buying Oculus. I've been waiting on that for a long time so I'm hoping this wont affect it in a negative way.

1) Yoshida already said that it would be inline with their gaming hardware's price because they could make money from other venture with Morpheus unlike the premium HMZ line, I'll look for the interview if I care enough.
2) Oculus is not compatible with PS4 nor do they plan to.

@Mad Lust Envy 
"VR sounds ideal for the PC market, where power is up to the user..."
If VR adoption is dictated by power then it'll also be doomed to very niche portion of PC market, at least for several years.

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #22,165 of 48,562
@Mad Lust Envy

If VR adoption is dictated by power then it'll also be doomed to very niche portion of PC market, at least for several years.

Well, you have to look at it like 3D. It will take some processing power from the system, meaning it will effectively lower the visual fidelity compared to when a game is running normally.

If you ever tried and compared games on PS3 with 3D support, you'd see the huge performance hit just to enable 3D. The expectations are realistic. If the VR headset uses processing power, companies will have to cut the graphic fidelity, making games run at lower resolutions and framerates, less detail, etc. unless it's really simple PSN games or whatnot that don't push the PS4 anywhere near it's potential.

It's basically like when you play games split screen. Visual fidelity is always cut down.

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #22,166 of 48,562

In a way that is a good thing as it will give the technology and techniques for implementing it time to mature. If it is presented to a wide audience but not quite there yet it will be another case of people writing it off as a gimmick as has happened before. Some people still site Virtual Boy as a reason why they aren't interested in VR and why they think it will fail.

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #22,167 of 48,562
Well, you have to look at it like 3D. It will take some processing power from the system, meaning it will effectively lower the visual fidelity compared to when a game is running normally.

If you ever tried and compared games on PS3 with 3D support, you'd see the huge performance hit just to enable 3D. The expectations are realistic. If the VR headset uses processing power, companies will have to cut the graphic fidelity, making games run at lower resolutions and framerates, less detail, etc. unless it's really simple PSN games or whatnot that don't push the PS4 anywhere near it's potential.

Lowering visual fidelity isn't exclusive to PC... Trine 2 is full 60 FPS 3D 720p (internally run at 1080p but hindered by HDMI spec reportedly) on PS4, and I don't know why you keep bringing PS3 when the device isn't even going to support it.

If they could put something as good as TLoU on VR with good FPS I think it would be enough to convince people, from valve experiment FPS is actually way more important to achieve presence.

And anyway, Sony already has Japan locked down http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2014-03-26/sony-head-mounted-device-allows-users-to-step-inside-an-anime :p

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #22,168 of 48,562
I'm using the PS3 as an example of what technologies (3D in that case) that grab resources from the processors tend to do to games.

Trine is a PSN game, hardly tasking of the system. Try doing 3D support on a full fledged game, and see just how much it's gonna reduce performance. I'm willing to make a bet that it's gonna be considerably larger than Trine 2.

I assume virtual reality will cause the PS4 to run 2 screens, kind of like 3D is running two separate images. So a 1080p/60 game, will at best run at 720p/60, and more likely, 720p/30.

The PS4 already struggles providing 1080p/60 on last gen games (Tomb Raider dips below 60fps on a consistent basis), as does games like Killzone: SF. It's running newer games like Infamous 2 at 30-40fps on average... which does not bode well for 3D/VR support for later titles.

I love the PS4, but it's showing it's limitations, and these new gimmicks will only hamper it's performance even more. We'll most likely start to run last gen resolutions.

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #22,169 of 48,562
Uh, no one argue that 3D would be taxing but know that 1080p is not full 1920x1080 per eye but 960x1080 so it's not exactly 2-3 times more taxing to render, and there's also a lot of tech that could be used to "trick" user like eye tracking. 

And again, the VR game does not have to ultra photo realistic looking, even something like the Media Molecule's PS4 game could blow people's mind.

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #22,170 of 48,562
Like I said, I'm skeptical. If Sony pulls this off well, then it may be good, but the past has shown me that they hype up peripherals, only to give us half assed products like the Eye, and the Move. I won't ever forget the horrible 3D they slapped on to a lot of games which made them look worse, every time. The only game that I remember looking just fine in 3D was Rocketbirds or whatever, which they managed to keep at the same framerate and apparent resolution. That game was incredibly simple though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back