Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 24, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #22,081 of 48,562
So my roommate happens to have some Turtle Beach Z11s... I REALLY LIKE THEIR SOUND! Lol. Crisp, dry, and energetic. The soundstage in stereo so far is really good too..

The plastic is cheap as all hell, and they are a bit clampy. The pads neoprene or whatever pads are stiff... but at least its better than pleather.

Who knows, maybe they'll get a review. They certainly sound more engaging than the A30s. In fact these remind me of like a cheap DT990 with less treble spike, and of course, less refinement, but man... they're really good. $36? I'm surprised. Definitely cheap due to the crap plastic used, but they don't look more prone to breaking like their awful Z2.

I MUST try these for DH gaming now. I expected crap, but these may be a new sleeper.

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #22,082 of 48,562
Get a Headzone for 550 Dollars or not?

Do you know if it can output the binaural stereo signal through the optical out?

Mar 24, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #22,083 of 48,562
Pretty sure thats a pass through.

I spoke too soon about the Z11. One side keeps cutting out.

When if does work, I noted excellent soundstage and positional cues. Could be worth trying.

Mar 24, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #22,084 of 48,562
Speaking of the 558's, they're on sale right now for 50% off and free shipping from Sennheiser ($90!).  I posted a link in the Deals forum if anyone is interested.

Mar 24, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #22,085 of 48,562
Hey, I managed to get it all working using a couple adapters. You cant plug the mic straight into the chat adapter. You need a PC Headset to Mobile phone adapter. You plug the mic into the mic end of the pc headset adapter, and then I used a 1 female to 2 male 3.5mm adapter to split the headphones, one to DSS, the other to chat adapter. I listed out instructions earlier in the thread, but they are easily missed. Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

I have the tb x41s and finally got tired of the popping enough that I went out and purchased the pc360. Right now, I get audio through the secondary 3.5mm jack of my x41 transmitter and chat via kinect. I'd rather incorporate the pc360 mic if possible on my xbox one. How does your wiring setup work if the chat adapter sends both game and chat audio to the headset while receiving a secondary source of game audio via your DSS? Do you mute game sound and only bring chat audio up via the chat adapter? Otherwise the headset would be receiving both a surround and stereo game audio feed that it then combines?

Mar 24, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #22,086 of 48,562
I have the tb x41s and finally got tired of the popping enough that I went out and purchased the pc360. Right now, I get audio through the secondary 3.5mm jack of my x41 transmitter and chat via kinect. I'd rather incorporate the pc360 mic if possible on my xbox one. How does your wiring setup work if the chat adapter sends both game and chat audio to the headset while receiving a secondary source of game audio via your DSS? Do you mute game sound and only bring chat audio up via the chat adapter? Otherwise the headset would be receiving both a surround and stereo game audio feed that it then combines?

You are correct, I mute the game audio through the headset adapter and click the chat audio button until that's the only thing coming through it. Game audio through the DSS, Chat audio through the chat adapter.

Mar 24, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #22,087 of 48,562
  You are correct, I mute the game audio through the headset adapter and click the chat audio button until that's the only thing coming through it. Game audio through the DSS, Chat audio through the chat adapter.

That's weird.  I get game and chat audio through my Recon, with only my mic going into the chat adapter.  I don't see any reason why you need to have the headphone split and going to both.

Then again, I bet if I did that I could get better game/chat balance than I do currently...

Mar 24, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #22,088 of 48,562
  That's weird.  I get game and chat audio through my Recon, with only my mic going into the chat adapter.  I don't see any reason why you need to have the headphone split and going to both.

Then again, I bet if I did that I could get better game/chat balance than I do currently...

My original plan was that I would plug the modmic straight into the chat adapter, but the chat adapter thought the modmic was a full headset, and I wasnt getting chat audio through the headphones, so I needed to split it. The mic doesnt run through the DSS because the DSS only uses a USB chat so that might be the difference. 

Mar 24, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #22,089 of 48,562
Sennheiser HD 558 for $89

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/audio-headphones-high-end-hd-558

CODE: hrqdogorm

Mar 24, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #22,090 of 48,562

Does anyone know if the adapter supplied with the console can be rewired to perform this same function? It would be nice if I didn't have to buy the difficult-to-find adapter. I currently have it spliced into my old x41 chat cable. I suspect if I just wire up a 3.5mm female connector to the original adapter that I won't be able to mute/turn off the game audio while retaining the chat feed live.

Mar 24, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #22,091 of 48,562
Does anyone know if the adapter supplied with the console can be rewired to perform this same function? It would be nice if I didn't have to buy the difficult-to-find adapter. I currently have it spliced into my old x41 chat cable. I suspect if I just wire up a 3.5mm female connector to the original adapter that I won't be able to mute/turn off the game audio while retaining the chat feed live.

The chat adapter you can buy comes with an extra button that lets you mute the game sounds.  The old one doesn't, so I suspect you're correct in that you won't be able to duplicate that functionality.

Mar 24, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #22,092 of 48,562
My original plan was that I would plug the modmic straight into the chat adapter, but the chat adapter thought the modmic was a full headset, and I wasnt getting chat audio through the headphones, so I needed to split it. The mic doesnt run through the DSS because the DSS only uses a USB chat so that might be the difference. 

There might be a difference between how the XBO and the XB360 work... I put my settings to play chat audio through the "speakers" in voice settings, and that works whether I'm using a mic + 2.5mm adapter or using a phone headset terminated in a 2.5mm plug.

Mar 24, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #22,093 of 48,562
There might be a difference between how the XBO and the XB360 work... I put my settings to play chat audio through the "speakers" in voice settings, and that works whether I'm using a mic + 2.5mm adapter or using a phone headset terminated in a 2.5mm plug.

I think the location at which the chat and game audio mixing is happening is different for the two systems. With the 360 they at least give you the option of changing chat volume at the os level. I believe the latest xbone update allows you to do this when using kinect chat but doesn't help those trying to mod the original adapter.

I think the xbone controller receives 2 discrete audio streams - game and chat - and the mixing function happens with the adapter. Without the latest adapter it outputs both game and chat audio pre-mixed (when using the system supplied adapter) in the same output audio stream. With legacy headsets they would receive just the chat stream from the controllers and the mixing would happen at the headset or mixamp level depending on whether you've got tb or astro.

So how to trick the system supplied adapter to strip out game audio while still passing through the chat feed? May not be possible as the circuitry probably isn't setup to suppress the game feed :frowning2: I'm slowly resigning myself to buying the new adapter.

Edit: words

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #22,095 of 48,562
@MLE 
I expect nothing less in the HS15 review than you using Gamepro's review scale.

Holy cow, I remember opening those old Gamepro mags at the supermarket and reading through in one sitting. That review scale brings back so many memories. Even back then, their 3.5 was good to me. I think the .5s had thumbs up added to the boxes. Hahaha. So a 1.5 was kinda weird.

Back then, it was all about Gamepro, and EGM. Then I subscribed to the Dreamcast magazine. I was such a Sega fanboy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back