Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 22, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #22,022 of 48,565
Not on my pc. It's almost impossible to edit the first post with my phone, and I'm sleeping soon. I dont wanna miss that post, lol.

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #22,023 of 48,565
  HD 558 are fun headphones :)

I've just tested these out today. Imo they were overly airy and unnatural sounding compared to my AKG K540. Their bass was good for a open headphone though.

Btw Mad Lust Envy, today I tested out the Sennheiser Momentum and Sony MDR-1R. People are praising those headphones on this forum, but to be honest with you, my AKG K540 sound OVERALL better than those 2 headphones. The Momentum had more clarity and detail than my AKG's, but they sounded slightly artificial compared to the K540's. The Sony 1R had a more enjoyable sound because of the more forward midrange, but they were too artificial sounding (more than the Momentums) aswell for my taste and lacked clarity compared to the K540's and Momentums.

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #22,024 of 48,565
I dunno, the graphs online paint a different picture. The K540 looks QUITE treble oriented with a steep drop in the middle. Driver matched too. That's the opposite of the Momentum which is very linear with treble roll off, like typical Sennheisers. Not many closed headphones with that articulate sound of the Momentum. I mean, many full sized headphones don't normally sound as good as the Momentum to me. the Momentum is easily the best sounding portable headphone I've heard to date, which is why I can't find myself getting the On Ear version, which just doesn't stack up.

I thought the MDR-1R was good, but not something I'd go for. I preferred the V-moda M100.

Mar 22, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #22,025 of 48,565
I dunno, the graphs online paint a different picture. The K540 looks QUITE treble oriented with a steep drop in the middle. Driver matched too. That's the opposite of the Momentum which is very linear with treble roll off, like typical Sennheisers. ot many closed headphones with that articulate sound of the Momentum. I mean, many full sized headphones don't normally sound as good as the Momentum to me.

I found the Momentums treble heavy to be honest, and I found their midrange neutral, only slightly artificial sounding. They sounded very similar to the K540's imo, the K540's only sounded slightly less clear, less detailed and more realistic in tone. The K540's had way more bass though.

I was really surprised aswell, because everybody on here said that the Momentums, Sony 1R's and stuff were really good headphones for their price, but my K540's (80 euro's) just beat them for my genres of music.

Mar 22, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #22,026 of 48,565
That's quite the opposite of how I hear the momentum and how they're normally tuned. The treble is quite literally a considerable amount of decibels lower than the bass and midrange. perhaps the one you heard was faulty. The momentum FWIR is standard Sennheiser tuned. Warm, bassy, with liquid mids, and smooth, non-fatiguing treble.

Mar 22, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #22,027 of 48,565
That's quite the opposite of how I hear the momentum and how they're normally tuned. The treble is quite literally a considerable amount of decibels lower than the bass and midrange. perhaps the one you heard was faulty. The momentum FWIR is standard Sennheiser tuned. Warm, bassy, with liquid mids, and smooth, non-fatiguing treble.

Hmm, that's pretty weird then. I'll give them another detailed listen shortly.

Mar 22, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #22,028 of 48,565
Not bassy as in emphasized, but warm in both bass and mids (quite linear there and well balanced actually).

Man...Ultrasone just GETS bass. Like... it's not necessarily full in sub bass (they're better at mid bass), but omg, they understand PRAT. The bass on the HS-15 is snappy, incredibly well controlled and authoritative. Considering these go for $20 or a little higher on Ebay... it's one hell of a headset for bassy music, just because of how good in controls bass passages. Just like the bigger Pro 900 and Pro 2900 which know how to control bass, even if the Pro 900 is super emphasized.

Other headphone manufacturers should be ashamed. If they can manage to control bass THIS well... man, what a different playing field it'd be. Problem with Ultrasone is the sibilance and thinness up top. It comes off a bit artificial from the three Ultrasones I've heard.

Mar 22, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #22,029 of 48,565
Which Mixamp do you currently use?  Any of you use if for movies?  If so, which one for movies seems to work the best?
Using DirectTV Coax and Toslink out and PS4 for sources

I am going to buy the REcon3D and 1 of the Mixamps to go head to head.. just need to know which Mixamp 5.8, Pro, etc...

Mar 22, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #22,030 of 48,565
Mixamp 5.8 due to practicality and less cable clutter. The other Mixamps either force you to sit close to your consoles, or use really long usb and optical cables.

I use it for movies, assuming the movie has a Dolby track, or if you're using something like the PS3 with the Bitstream mix option which in easy terms changes DTS to Dolby Digital for the Mixamp to decode properly. It works just like it does to games, though many, MANY movies don't really use rear surround speakers well or even often.

Mar 22, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #22,031 of 48,565
Mixamp 5.8 due to practicality and less cable clutter. The other Mixamps either force you to sit close to your consoles, or use really long usb and optical cables.

I use it for movies, assuming the movie has a Dolby track, or if you're using something like the PS3 with the Bitstream mix option which in easy terms changes DTS to Dolby Digital for the Mixamp to decode properly.

But man, I think you really need to try the K540's. They don't have a whole lot of detail, but their naturalness is clearly better than that of the Momentums, Shure SRH-840 and Sony MDR-1R.

They sound horrible at first though, but after 500+ hours, they really have top notch clarity and timbre, especially for the price of €80,- ($100)

Mar 22, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #22,032 of 48,565
500 hours...

I won't go there, lol.

I'm sure it's probably a good headphone. I had a friend who recommended it to me a few years back.

Mar 22, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #22,035 of 48,565
Where can you buy a Mixamp 5.8?  Do they not manufacture them anymore?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back